Contribute
Register

[Guide] Booting The USB Installer Using OpenCore

Thanks for the tip on the above, i got the sound working now. So the only things I think i have left to get working is Bluetooth and the audio/mic jack isn't working. Those 2 things aren't super important.

One other question, once I have my usb ports mapped and the usb kext setup, can i just use the built in updater and update to Monterey? I was thinking about just getting to Monterey since 90% of the stuff seems to be working then working on getting the rest fixed at that point. Worst case I make a copy of my current working EFI folder put it on my usb and if i have to reinstall back to Catalina i can do that.

what make wifi/bluetooth card do you have?
faq has recommendations:

audio mic not working? could be down to the layout ID you are using, you should test each layout ID (reset nvram on each try)

make sure you have done the usb setup correctly in Catalina before updating to Monterey:

and make sure you update your Opencore version to the latest before updating to Monterey

what make wifi/bluetooth card do you have?
faq has recommendations:

audio mic not working? could be down to the layout ID you are using, you should test each layout ID (reset nvram on each try)

make sure you have done the usb setup correctly in Catalina before updating to Monterey:

and make sure you update your Opencore version to the latest before updating to Monterey
I did get the Bluetooth working it was a stupid mistake on my part i forgot to put in the BT firmware kext.

Wifi is working but i am using Itlwm instead of AirPortItlwm the reason is I first tried Airport and it wouldn't work but i might have messed something up. I am using Itlwm as it lets me put my wifi information in and it auto uses it. I would love to have the ability to just find any wifi around and be able to join it like normal not sure if thats possible, or if thats what AirPortItlwm would let me do. For Aitport can i add the wifi entries from my current Itlwm info.plist and have it work? my wifi/bt card is Interl Model 8260NGW.

I tried the only other layout for my audio and the jack is kind of working, headphones are detected when i plug in a headset, but its seeing the mic as line in but not working. Internals work fine and the multi jack is now half working.

I was going through the usb thread and using hackintool and having XhciPortLimit set to true to see all my ports I only have 15 total ports showing up, so I am thinking i just export the usb map move it to kexts and remove usb injector, switch XhciPortLimit to false and i should be good, can't go over the port limit if i only have 15 right

I did get the Bluetooth working it was a stupid mistake on my part i forgot to put in the BT firmware kext.

Wifi is working but i am using Itlwm instead of AirPortItlwm the reason is I first tried Airport and it wouldn't work but i might have messed something up. I am using Itlwm as it lets me put my wifi information in and it auto uses it. I would love to have the ability to just find any wifi around and be able to join it like normal not sure if thats possible, or if thats what AirPortItlwm would let me do. For Aitport can i add the wifi entries from my current Itlwm info.plist and have it work? my wifi/bt card is Interl Model 8260NGW.

I tried the only other layout for my audio and the jack is kind of working, headphones are detected when i plug in a headset, but its seeing the mic as line in but not working. Internals work fine and the multi jack is now half working.

I was going through the usb thread and using hackintool and having XhciPortLimit set to true to see all my ports I only have 15 total ports showing up, so I am thinking i just export the usb map move it to kexts and remove usb injector, switch XhciPortLimit to false and i should be good, can't go over the port limit if i only have 15 right
make sure your ports are set using the correct ports, ie internal for webcam/wifi card etc

I use a BCM94360NG which requires no kexts, works great

make sure your ports are set using the correct ports, ie internal for webcam/wifi card etc

I will take a look and make sure the usb is set properly. I will keep that card in mind if swapping out my current intel card for that will make the wifi work seemlesly it might be worth the $60 investment, see if i can find one not coming from China

Could you take a look at these 2 things one is my USB list, everything looks good i am just not sure about the ones listed as internal and unknown, since I only have 14 total ports is it fine to just export the while thing to use.

The second is my new config.plist i was trying to update to opencore 0.8.8 the newest one and it booted to the list of tools but the option to boot into the actual MacOs was gone and i am thinking its something stupid i am missing, thankfully i still have my bootable usb and used that to fix it.

added my current one under config old

Attachments

• 20230125_181801.jpg
    20230125_181801.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 25
  • config.plist
    51.6 KB · Views: 25
  • config old.plist
    49.4 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Could you take a look at these 2 things one is my USB list, everything looks good i am just not sure about the ones listed as internal and unknown, since I only have 14 total ports is it fine to just export the while thing to use.

The second is my new config.plist i was trying to update to opencore 0.8.8 the newest one and it booted to the list of tools but the option to boot into the actual MacOs was gone and i am thinking its something stupid i am missing, thankfully i still have my bootable usb and used that to fix it.
you can delete the white ones (the ones that did not light up in green) then export the USBPorts.kext

config.plist:
you do not not all those Drivers, just the:
HfsPlus.efi
OpenRuntime.efi

for booting Catalina, you will need to set both MinDate and MinVersion to -1

after updating to later versions, they can then be set back to 0

ScanPolicy should be 0

also set SecureBootModel to Disabled

don't forget to set XhciPortLimit to disabled when you use your new USBPorts.kext

remove:
SMCDellSensors.kext
AppleALCU.kext
USBToolBox.kext

doubt you need:
RTCMemoryFixup.kext

put:
Lilu.kext at the top of your list in your config.plist

please read the faq for proper hardware profile setup:

you can delete the white ones (the ones that did not light up in green) then export the USBPorts.kext

config.plist:
HfsPlus.efi
OpenRuntime.efi

ScanPolicy should be 0

don't forget to set XhciPortLimit to disabled when you use your new USBPorts.kext

remove:
SMCDellSensors.kext
AppleALCU.kext
USBToolBox.kext

doubt you need:
RTCMemoryFixup.kext

put:

I had to add an entry into the config i found a post someone else had asked about the error and you had replied, i added an entry in the patch as i am sure you saw, so i will remove the RTCmemoryfix then. Ill try the above and see what happens.

config.plist:
HfsPlus.efi
OpenRuntime.efi

ScanPolicy should be 0

remove:
SMCDellSensors.kext
AppleALCU.kext
USBToolBox.kext

doubt you need:
RTCMemoryFixup.kext

put:

So i made the changes and everything seems to be fine except i get the below error, it goes by so fast you hardly notice it, I am assuming change the entry in Security to False from try and that should fix it

And also about the mindate and version to -1, when i update to Monterey will i be able to boot in to make this change or do i need to make the change then do the update so that when it reboots it will take effect?

Attachments

• config.plist
    47.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 20230125_212437.jpg
    20230125_212437.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 33
So i made the changes and everything seems to be fine except i get the below error, it goes by so fast you hardly notice it, I am assuming change the entry in Security to False from try and that should fix it

And also about the mindate and version to -1, when i update to Monterey will i be able to boot in to make this change or do i need to make the change then do the update so that when it reboots it will take effect?
with newer versions of copencore, changes are required in your config.plist

if you run ocvalidate on your config.plist, it will let you know what needs to be added/removed/changed

in your case AllowNvramReset has been removed, you currently have:

Code:
<key>Security</key>
        <dict>
            <key>AllowNvramReset</key>
            <true/>
            <key>AllowSetDefault</key>
            <true/>

when it should be:

Code:
<key>Security</key>
        <dict>
            <false/>

just need to remove:

Code:
            <true/>

leave MinDate and MinVersion to -1 until you have completed the upgrade

with newer versions of copencore, changes are required in your config.plist

if you run ocvalidate on your config.plist, it will let you know what needs to be added/removed/changed

in your case AllowNvramReset has been removed, you currently have:

Code:
<key>Security</key>
        <dict>
            <true/>
            <true/>

when it should be:

Code:
<key>Security</key>
        <dict>
            <false/>

just need to remove:

Code:
            <true/>

leave MinDate and MinVersion to -1 until you have completed the upgrade
Thanks so much for all your help and insight, i really do appreciate it.

Back