Contribute
Register

[Guide] Booting The USB Installer Using OpenCore

please read the faq for proper hardware profile setup:

you should be able to just click on view then choose show all devices then erase the entire drive as APFS

you could try HFS but it will also convert to a APFS during install anyway
I plan on giving it another try, everything was working as long as I booted from the USB. I followed the guide to the letter and moved the contents of the EFI folder to the EFI drive that was mounting, but I just could not get it to boot from the internal drive and that is where I got stuck. I did find some information about legacy mode and few extra steps needed and i was wondering if even though I do have the EFI partition and everything if it was in Legacy mode even though my BIOS mode in msinfo32 before doing everything did say it was UEFI

Is there maybe something I am missing and not realizing it. Is there something i need to do to tell the UEFI boot order to do, instead of booting the Windows Boot Manager?

Last edited:
I plan on giving it another try, everything was working as long as I booted from the USB. I followed the guide to the letter and moved the contents of the EFI folder to the EFI drive that was mounting, but I just could not get it to boot from the internal drive and that is where I got stuck. I did find some information about legacy mode and few extra steps needed and i was wondering if even though I do have the EFI partition and everything if it was in Legacy mode even though my BIOS mode in msinfo32 before doing everything did say it was UEFI
get stuck where exactly?

also don't forget to reset nvram when you make any changes to your EFI

your skylake doesn't require the use of legacy

get stuck where exactly?

also don't forget to reset nvram when you make any changes to your EFI

your skylake doesn't require the use of legacy
Ok maybe that's the one thing i was missing i didn't realise to reset the nvram. So would i do the EFI changes, boot back into the US reset the nvram, then do a reboot without the usb and see if it all worked?

And sorry I meant I got stuck as in not knowing what i was not doing.

If I get the time I may try it again today, if not it will be next weekend due to my work week. I will update once i give it another try.

Appreciate your replies and help Feartech.

Thanks again, the nvram thing is what i was missing. Now i just need to figure out how to get my Audio working, i completly forgot to check that information before setting up, so i am either going to have to create a boot usb for windows/linux or throw in the old hdd that i kept with win 11 installed to find it all out. I think the only things not working that i can tell are the audio and maybe bluetooth.

Also is there an easy way to update kexts that are installed and the config list from within the mac itself? Or can you just mount the EFI drive and copy in the updated files to the folders already if I work on them on a seperate pc?

Last edited:
Thanks again, the nvram thing is what i was missing. Now i just need to figure out how to get my Audio working, i completly forgot to check that information before setting up, so i am either going to have to create a boot usb for windows/linux or throw in the old hdd that i kept with win 11 installed to find it all out. I think the only things not working that i can tell are the audio and maybe bluetooth.
have a read up on:

have a read up on:
That is my next plan to read up and see what i can do to get it working. But i am out of time for today, so i will have to push it. But i got a bootable laptop at this point, that's the best start so far so.

That is my next plan to read up and see what i can do to get it working. But i am out of time for today, so i will have to push it. But i got a bootable laptop at this point, that's the best start so far so.
feel free to zip and upload your efi, I can take a look if you like

feel free to zip and upload your efi, I can take a look if you like
Sure thanks, its attached, someone who knows more than me it probably better looking at it lol.

Attachments

• EFI (2).zip
    19.4 MB · Views: 21
Sure thanks, its attached, someone who knows more than me it probably better looking at it lol.
may be worth updating all your kexts (hackintool can scan for extensions and download them for you for ease)

then test your different layout id's as per:

may be worth updating all your kexts (hackintool can scan for extensions and download them for you for ease)

then test your different layout id's as per:
Thanks for the tip on the above, i got the sound working now. So the only things I think i have left to get working is Bluetooth and the audio/mic jack isn't working. Those 2 things aren't super important.

One other question, once I have my usb ports mapped and the usb kext setup, can i just use the built in updater and update to Monterey? I was thinking about just getting to Monterey since 90% of the stuff seems to be working then working on getting the rest fixed at that point. Worst case I make a copy of my current working EFI folder put it on my usb and if i have to reinstall back to Catalina i can do that.

Back