Contribute
Register

[Guide] Booting the OS X installer on LAPTOPS with Clover

Thanks for updating the wonderful post!

Thanks for updating the wonderful post!

Really just the bare minimum for WhateverGreen, new Clover, and various kexts that were deprecated (IntelGraphicsFixup/IntelGraphicsDVMTFixup/CoreDisplayFixup).

Much more to update (in FAQ, other guides, etc)...

Hello, I have a problem with booting Mojave installer on my Spectre x360 with i7-6500U
When I'm choosing Install Mojave after booting to UEFI USB with pressing F9 I'm getting boot loop on apple logo, after running it under verbose mode (-v) I found that it goes to reboot after "End RandomSeed" message

Currently, I have installed Mojave on this laptop (updated via internal update from High Sierra to Mojave beta and after that to stable Mojave build), but I want to make a clean install

What I have and what I already tried:
  • USB Stick 2.0 made with 'createinstallmedia' method (recommended) and EFI partition made with "Clover UEFI Boot Mode v2.4k r4586" ( also tried r4511) and latest build from Sourceforge
  • 2 different plists which provide me successful boot to my current Mojave install both of them attached (of course both plsits named config.plists while on EFI partition under Clover folder) (config_HD515_520_530_540.plist was downloaded from https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Clover-Laptop-Config)
Also, I have this list of essential kexts at EFI/Clover/kexts/Other
  • WhateverGreen.kext
  • VoodooPS2Controller.kext
  • FakeSMC.kext
  • IntelGraphicsFixup.kext
  • Lilu.kext
  • USBInjectAll.kext
  • VoodooHDA.kext
  • FakeSMC_ACPISensors.kext
  • FakeSMC_CPUSensors.kext
  • FakeSMC_GPUSensors.kext
  • FakeSMC_LPCSensors.kext
  • ACPIBatteryManager.kext
  • FakePCIID_Intel_HD_Graphics.kext
  • FakePCIID_Intel_HDMI_Audio.kext
  • FakePCIID.kext

Also, I've tried to replace my EFI partition on USB stick with EFI partition that currently boots my current Mojave install, as a result, I don't have an option in Clover to choose Install Mojave at all

UPD1 Added Clover folders to attachments

Attachments

• config_HD515_520_530_540.plist
    175 KB · Views: 346
  • config.plist
    12.6 KB · Views: 121
  • CLOVER_current install.zip
    2.8 MB · Views: 59
  • CLOVER_from_usb.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Hello, I have a problem with booting Mojave installer on my Spectre x360 with i7-6500U
When I'm choosing Install Mojave after booting to UEFI USB with pressing F9 I'm getting boot loop on apple logo, after running it under verbose mode (-v) I found that it goes to reboot after "End RandomSeed" message

Currently, I have installed Mojave on this laptop (updated via internal update from High Sierra to Mojave beta and after that to stable Mojave build), but I want to make a clean install

What I have and what I already tried:
  • USB Stick 2.0 made with 'createinstallmedia' method (recommended) and EFI partition made with "Clover UEFI Boot Mode v2.4k r4586" ( also tried r4511) and latest build from Sourceforge
  • 2 different plists which provide me successful boot to my current Mojave install both of them attached (of course both plsits named config.plists while on EFI partition under Clover folder) (config_HD515_520_530_540.plist was downloaded from https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Clover-Laptop-Config)
Also, I have this list of essential kexts at EFI/Clover/kexts/Other
  • WhateverGreen.kext
  • VoodooPS2Controller.kext
  • FakeSMC.kext
  • IntelGraphicsFixup.kext
  • Lilu.kext
  • USBInjectAll.kext
  • VoodooHDA.kext
  • FakeSMC_ACPISensors.kext
  • FakeSMC_CPUSensors.kext
  • FakeSMC_GPUSensors.kext
  • FakeSMC_LPCSensors.kext
  • ACPIBatteryManager.kext
  • FakePCIID_Intel_HD_Graphics.kext
  • FakePCIID_Intel_HDMI_Audio.kext
  • FakePCIID.kext

Also, I've tried to replace my EFI partition on USB stick with EFI partition that currently boots my current Mojave install, as a result, I don't have an option in Clover to choose Install Mojave at all

UPD1 Added Clover folders to attachments

Your Clover revision is much too old for Mojave. Read post #1.

Preparing essential kexts

Remove EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.6, 10.7, 10.8, 10.9, 10.10, leaving just 'Other'. Note that if you use the RehabMan Clover build, you will only see 'Other' (less clutter in my build).

Copy essential kexts to the 'Other' directory (FakeSMC.kext, VoodooPS2Controller.kext, Lilu.kext, WhateverGreen.kext). You only need the kexts that allow you to boot and operate the installer. Other kexts that you might use in the final installation can wait.

I do have discrete graphics (NVIDIA GT930m) on my laptop plus the Intel HD 5500. Will the NVIDIA graphics work with WhateverGreen.kext?

Mounting EFI

Eventually, you'll want to make changes to the config.plist, kexts, or other Clover configuration items on the EFI partition. To access the EFI partition, you must mount it manually. Unlike other volumes, it is not mounted automatically.

I wrote a script that I use from Terminal called mount_efi.sh.

You can install/use it as follows...

Download and install mount_efi.sh:
To use it in Terminal:
Note that in a single disk system with a typical EFI partition labeled 'EFI', you can mount/unmount EFI quite simply with 'diskutil' in Terminal.

To mount EFI:
To unmount:

I am trying to follow this set but I am getting an error message on the said screenshot. I red the steps carefully but I am still getting the same error message.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-09-29 at 5.16.02 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-29 at 5.16.02 AM.png
    40.9 KB · Views: 68
I am trying to follow this set but I am getting an error message on the said screenshot. I red the steps carefully but I am still getting the same error message.

The mount_efi.sh script has moved to a different project on github.
Link updated in post #1.

Is there a general recommendation when staying on 10.13.6 either to stick to "legacy" method for framebuffer "management" or go with Lilu and WEG?

Currently I prefer not to update to 10.14 as it might break my music setup or at least before hardware vendors officially declare 10.14 support.

Is the "new" method more or less stable than what we have now?

Last edited:
Is there a general recommendation when staying on 10.13.6 either to stick to "legacy" method for framebuffer "management" or go with Lilu and WEG?

Currently I prefer not to update to 10.14 as it might break my music setup or at least before hardware vendors officially declare 10.14 support.

Is the "new" method more or less stable than what we have now?

The WhateverGreen method does make patching a bit simpler and easier to understand.
No inherent stability improvement, assuming the patches you're doing are the same with either method.

If you should transition to WhateverGreen-based patching, you would be ready for Mojave when you switch.
In fact, I would recommend implementing the patching method with High Sierra first, so you're certain you have it working the same as your old patches. And that way, when you update to Mojave, you're not trying to debug your patching at the same time you may be dealing with other issues/bugs that may be caused by Mojave itself ("change one thing at a time" method).

Back