Contribute
Register

[Guide] Booting the OS X installer on LAPTOPS with Clover

Hi RehabMan,

I'm trying to install 10.13.6 on a ThinkPad P51.
At first I was not able to start the installer because it could not find the USB stick.
All ports are USB3, the stick is USB3, so I needed to create SSDT-UIAC to setup the correct USB ports.

I was then able to boot into the installer, format the NVMe drive to JHFS+ and start the installation.
After the reboot I booted again into the USB installer to disable APFS conversion.

After another reboot I booted from the NVMe drive to start PHASE 2.
It starts with "18 minutes remaining", goes down quickly to 12 minutes and then kernel panics.

How do I get to the KP message? Even with -v and debug0x100 it just shows the frozen GUI.

I already tried to disable LAN, WLAN and WWAN in the BIOS (and also the Smartcard and ExpressCard),
added SATA-200-series-unsupported.kext, but it still panics.

Kind regards
hanzoh

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    4.1 MB · Views: 59
Hi RehabMan,

I'm trying to install 10.13.6 on a ThinkPad P51.
At first I was not able to start the installer because it could not find the USB stick.
All ports are USB3, the stick is USB3, so I needed to create SSDT-UIAC to setup the correct USB ports.

I was then able to boot into the installer, format the NVMe drive to JHFS+ and start the installation.
After the reboot I booted again into the USB installer to disable APFS conversion.

After another reboot I booted from the NVMe drive to start PHASE 2.
It starts with "18 minutes remaining", goes down quickly to 12 minutes and then kernel panics.

How do I get to the KP message? Even with -v and debug0x100 it just shows the frozen GUI.

I already tried to disable LAN, WLAN and WWAN in the BIOS (and also the Smartcard and ExpressCard),
added SATA-200-series-unsupported.kext, but it still panics.

Kind regards
hanzoh

You failed to attach a photo of the KP.

Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

You failed to attach a photo of the KP

I can’t, the verbose output disappears once it switches to the GUI part of PHASE 2 (Apple logo, progress bar and time estimate). When it panics it either reboots or when I use debug0x100, it just freezes the screen, no text output of the KP.

I can’t, the verbose output disappears once it switches to the GUI part of PHASE 2 (Apple logo, progress bar and time estimate). When it panics it either reboots or when I use debug0x100, it just freezes the screen, no text output of the KP.

Probably DVMT-prealloc issue.
Read post #1.

Please note your PR files are not complete. Missing misc/preboot.log. DO NOT delete directories that the Clover installer creates.

Probably DVMT-prealloc issue.
I disabled the patch in config.plist and added IntelGraphicsDVMTFixup.kext, still panics at the exact same position of the progress bar.

Please note your PR files are not complete. Missing misc/preboot.log. DO NOT delete directories that the Clover installer creates.
My bad, I excluded the wrong dirs from the zip, here it is again.

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 63
I disabled the patch in config.plist and added IntelGraphicsDVMTFixup.kext, still panics at the exact same position of the progress bar.

As per guide, use invalid ig-platform-id.

My bad, I excluded the wrong dirs from the zip, here it is again.

You have dual-GPU (Nvidia+Intel), as proven by your Clover preboot.log:
Code:
0:100  0:000  PCI (00|01:00.00) : 10DE 13B6 class=030200
0:100  0:000  PCI (00|00:02.00) : 8086 591B class=030000

Make sure you create appropriate SSDT-DiscreteSpoof.aml (this guide is linked from the main guide, but you missed it):
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-only-ran-for-0-seconds-with-dual-gpu.233092/

Don't forget to fix your profile as per FAQ.

Also, check BIOS options. Thinkpad's are known for unusual features in BIOS.

Hello, thanks for the guide. I have two issues that might need your help (or just a direction where should I go from here?)

I am trying to install High Sierra on my HP Probook 4430s.

1. My laptop (latest BIOS) won't boot directly into the USB with Clover even if I choose the USB to boot from. Everytime I want to boot I will have to choose Boot from EFI file and Browse to EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI. I guess it's the same for all other ProBook ?

2. Using the above method (EFI file) I can boot into Clover and can choose Boot MacOSX from install_osx. Then a screen with Apple logo and progress bar appear. Then after awhile, it just automatically restart. I tried again with verbose & don't restart when kernel panic options, but it just automatically restart without me being able to capture any error messages.

Thanks for any help, attached is my CLOVER dir.

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    4 MB · Views: 71
I have an old HP Probook 4540s that was running High Sierra release #4 until it refused to boot from the hard disk or a USB installer. While it runs Windows 10 and Linux ok, which I understand don't require the same "resource" level, it still give me problems with CLOVER from a USB Install drive. I was able get to the "Utility" page ( Partition/term, etc) and reformat the hard disk, it now seems to hang in the install_osx program.

I've attached a photo of where it hangs, a screenshot of the USB CLOVER drive and a zip file of the EFI without theme and tools dirs.

The question is something wrong with the EFI drivers64UEFI/kexts/Other, or does there appear to be something wrong with the laptop and I should just make it a windows/Unix box?

Thanks for any advice

Jim Ballantine

Attachments

• IMG_0369.JPG
    IMG_0369.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 117
  • 4540_EFI.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 76
  • 4540s_EFI.png
    4540s_EFI.png
    144.5 KB · Views: 105
Hi RehabMan,
I just found there are two EFI folders on my computer: EFI folder on the EFI partition, and another EFI folder in the root of my macOS drive. They are similar, but not exactly the same. And both contains config.plist files, they're also different.
Why there is a folder on my macOS drive? How it's used?
Sorry for my noob's questions, I'm new to hackintosh...
Screen Shot 2018-08-28 at 16.09.36.png

Hello, thanks for the guide. I have two issues that might need your help (or just a direction where should I go from here?)

I am trying to install High Sierra on my HP Probook 4430s.

1. My laptop (latest BIOS) won't boot directly into the USB with Clover even if I choose the USB to boot from. Everytime I want to boot I will have to choose Boot from EFI file and Browse to EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI. I guess it's the same for all other ProBook ?

What does it do instead?
If you have Windows installed, make sure you read post #2 regarding dual boot.

2. Using the above method (EFI file) I can boot into Clover and can choose Boot MacOSX from install_osx. Then a screen with Apple logo and progress bar appear. Then after awhile, it just automatically restart. I tried again with verbose & don't restart when kernel panic options, but it just automatically restart without me being able to capture any error messages.

Don't forget to read post #1 regarding "alternate DropTables".

Back