Contribute
Register

[Guide] Booting the OS X installer on LAPTOPS with Clover

Can someone confirm whether you've to use IntelGraphicsFixup or WhateverGreen since the github page asks everyone to use WhateverGreen instead?
Thanks
either at the moment

Reactions: SHM
Can someone confirm whether you've to use IntelGraphicsFixup or WhateverGreen since the github page asks everyone to use WhateverGreen instead?
Thanks

You're free to do what you like/what works for you.
If you're to use WhateverGreen.kext, keep in mind you must read the documentation to understand how to use it/how to configure it.

Reactions: SHM
Hi RehabMan,
Thank you very much for your guide! Using your instructions I've installed High Sierra on my desktop successfully.
There is only one problem - Intel RAID.
I've disabled RAID for the installation, I mean changed to AHCI, then installed High Sierra on a HDD (which is not a part of RAID).
After added SATA-RAID-unsupported.kext from your guide using "sudo cp -R SATA-RAID-unsupported.kext /Library/Extensions" & "sudo kextcache -i /" commands.
Then rebooted once again, checked System Report/Extension, found this kext (BTW could you please change it's name from "Unsupported" to something else?).
Then rebooted into BIOS to switch back to RAID and I cannot boot into macOS anymore. :(
Could you please advise how to solve it? Where is my mistake in installation?
Thank you in advance!

Hi RehabMan,
Thank you very much for your guide! Using your instructions I've installed High Sierra on my desktop successfully.
There is only one problem - Intel RAID.
I've disabled RAID for the installation, I mean changed to AHCI, then installed High Sierra on a HDD (which is not a part of RAID).
After added SATA-RAID-unsupported.kext from your guide using "sudo cp -R SATA-RAID-unsupported.kext /Library/Extensions" & "sudo kextcache -i /" commands.
Then rebooted once again, checked System Report/Extension, found this kext (BTW could you please change it's name from "Unsupported" to something else?).
Then rebooted into BIOS to switch back to RAID and I cannot boot into macOS anymore. :(
Could you please advise how to solve it? Where is my mistake in installation?
Thank you in advance!

If your main drive is NVMe SSD, you cannot use RAID mode (Intel iRST/NVMe is incompatible with macOS), and SATA-RAID-unsupported.kext will not help you (it only helps with SATA devices).

And no plans to change the name. The name SATA-RAID-unsupported.kext is a perfectly appropriate name.

Last edited:
If your main drive is NVMe SSD, you cannot use RAID mode (Intel iRST/NVMe is incompatible with macOS), and SATA-RAID-unsupported.kext will not help you (it only helps with SATA devices).
No, macOS was installed on SATA HDD, some old Fujitsu 200 GB hard drive, for test.
And no plans to change the name. The name SATA-RAID-unsupported.kext is a perfectly appropriate name.
I mean in the Extensions list this kext listed as "Unsupported", not "SATA-RAID-Unsupported".

RehabMan, please correct me if I'm wrong:
1. macOS can be installed on NVMe only if Storage mode is set to AHCI. If it's on Intel RST - macOS cannot be installed on NVMe under any conditions.
2. macOS can be installed on SATA HDD/SSD if Storage mode is set to Intel RST only with SATA-RAID-unsupported.kext.

For my current test build I've used Fujitsu 200 GB HDD, but I'm planning to use SSD or NVMe, it depends on results of this test build. So far I cannot use Intel RST mode...

HWMonitor in FakeSMC-2018-0403 cannot launch in 10.11.6, but FakeSMC-2017-1017 version works.

Not surprising.
Changes were made upstream that force newer SDK, incompatible with old versions.

No, macOS was installed on SATA HDD, some old Fujitsu 200 GB hard drive, for test.

You would need to attach PR files that represent the problem scenario.
Please read FAQ, "Problem Reporting".

I mean in the Extensions list this kext listed as "Unsupported", not "SATA-RAID-Unsupported".

A non-issue.

RehabMan, please correct me if I'm wrong:
1. macOS can be installed on NVMe only if Storage mode is set to AHCI. If it's on Intel RST - macOS cannot be installed on NVMe under any conditions.

Correct. There are no drivers in macOS for iRST NVMe.

2. macOS can be installed on SATA HDD/SSD if Storage mode is set to Intel RST only with SATA-RAID-unsupported.kext.

Correct.

Back