Contribute
Register

[Guide] Booting the OS X installer on LAPTOPS with Clover

Thanks for the reply RehabMan. Also, is the plist here (linked below) out of date because macOS now has native support for Kaby Lake? Inside it says "Using Haswell MacBookAir6,2 until Clover has support for KabyLake identifier" Or is that because Clover doesn't support it, even though macOS does? Is it still up-to-date enough to use with versions of macOS Sierra/High Sierra that have native Kaby Lake support or are there edits I should make?

https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Clover-Laptop-Config/blob/master/config_HD615_620_630_640_650.plist

Last edited:
Hey Rehabman, I am sorry for asking so many questions but I hope you know I do try reading as much as I can from both this guide and the others you link (such as the Laptop FAQ and even links on that FAQ too) as well as various laptop guides before asking. But sometimes I still remain confused, so here I am asking questions.

Since most laptops come with inadequate DVMT-prealloc, all the plists linked by this guide have a patch for 32MB DVMT-prealloc, enabled by default. You can read about how that patch works here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...lensize-patch-with-32mb-dvmt-prealloc.221506/
Does this mean that the patch is already applied by default in your .plists or do I still have to do something to enable that patch? I have looked at that link several times and I'm confused with whether you are saying that that link shows me how to apply a patch or is merely just telling me how it works and there's nothing I actually need to do on my end past that. Is there any downside to using this patch instead of trying to set the DVMT-prealloc (which is not possible in my BIOS)?

If your laptop has DVMT-prealloc set as required (64MB or 128MB), you should disable or remove the 32MB patch.
How can I tell if my DVMT-prealloc is set as required, if the Windows method doesn't work according to your Laptop FAQ? Where can I find what it is set to?

Thank you as always RehabMan. I'm sorry for being such a burden but when you get around to it please answer the question I'd posted right before this one too.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply RehabMan. Also, is the plist here (linked below) out of date because macOS now has native support for Kaby Lake? Inside it says "Using Haswell MacBookAir6,2 until Clover has support for KabyLake identifier" Or is that because Clover doesn't support it, even though macOS does? Is it still up-to-date enough to use with versions of macOS Sierra/High Sierra that have native Kaby Lake support or are there edits I should make?

https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Clover-Laptop-Config/blob/master/config_HD615_620_630_640_650.plist

You should look at the content of the file.
The answer to your question is in the first thing you see at the top of the file.
Also, compare to the 'spoof' version of the same file.

As far as the SMBIOS identifier, it really doesn't matter with current Clover as the new Clover has better support for newer SMBIOS. But it is not an important setting.

Does this mean that the patch is already applied by default in your .plists

Seems as if your question is already answered in the text you quoted.

I have looked at that link several times and I'm confused with whether you are saying that that link shows me how to apply a patch or is merely just telling me how it works?

It is doing both, but as mentioned in the guide, the patch is already present and enabled in the provided plists.

and there's nothing I actually need to do on my end past that.

You should read the guide for what you "need to do".

Is there any downside to using this patch instead of trying to set the DVMT-prealloc (which is not possible in my BIOS)?

It would be better to set DVMT-prealloc to something larger and then remove or disable the patch.

How can I tell if my DVMT-prealloc is set as required,

You can use setup_var in a special UEFI shell to both set the value (maybe) and read the current value.
See FAQ for links.

Seems as if your question is already answered in the text you quoted.

It is doing both, but as mentioned in the guide, the patch is already present and enabled in the provided plists.

You should read the guide for what you "need to do".

It would be better to set DVMT-prealloc to something larger and then remove or disable the patch.

You can use setup_var in a special UEFI shell to both set the value (maybe) and read the current value.
See FAQ for links.

Thank you RehabMan. I am having some other issues but I'll create my own thread so I don't turn this into a personal troubleshooting thread. Hopefully when you get the time you can help me over there.

Attachments

• IMG-20171008-WA0044.jpeg
    IMG-20171008-WA0044.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 165
  • 20171008_210245.jpg
    20171008_210245.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 128
Ofter so much research, a friend told me to change the fakeID and igb-platform in clover boot, i finally managed to install on my 120gb ssd. Ty rehab for all your support and dedicated time on this website!

No need for FakeID, but invalid ig-platform-id is critical with 4k due to pixel clock limit.

Hi Rehab, so I tried to use the patch iokit using the patches from the link: https://github.com/Floris497/mac-pixel-clock-patch-V2
and my system got crashed, I manage to reinstalled it, is 12.6, cause high Sierra is harder to install. and I have my intel graphics card on 31mb, and system run slow, apps like chrome and stuff. Update:So I readed about patch using CorelDisplay for intel graphics: do I really need to disable:SIP(in recovery mode) in order to use CoreDisplay patcher?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-10-09 at 1.15.50 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-10-09 at 1.15.50 AM.png
    54.6 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Hi Rehab, so I tried to use the patch iokit using the patches from the link: https://github.com/Floris497/mac-pixel-clock-patch-V2
and my system got crashed, I manage to reinstalled it, is 12.6, cause high Sierra is harder to install. and I have my intel graphics card on 31mb, and system run slow, apps like chrome and stuff. Update:So I readed about patch using CorelDisplay for intel graphics: do I really need to disable:SIP(in recovery mode) in order to use CoreDisplay patcher?

SIP is disabled if you use the appropriate plist linked from post #1.

Back