Contribute
Register

[Guide] Booting the OS X installer on LAPTOPS with Clover

as per guide, use OsxAptioFixDrv-64 instead

What do you mean? Instead of what? OsxAptiofixDrv-64 is in my drivers64 folder. Check attached pic.

Attachments

• explorer_2017-06-14_17-04-15.png
    explorer_2017-06-14_17-04-15.png
    60 KB · Views: 99
What do you mean? Instead of what? OsxAptiofixDrv-64 is in my drivers64 folder. Check attached pic.

That is clearly OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi not OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi. Note also that not your drivers64 folder, but rather the drivers64UEFI folder (probably a typo on your part).

Last edited:
That is clearly OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi not OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi. Note also that not your drivers64 folder, but rather the drivers64UEFI folder (probably a typo on your part).

That was completely my bad (as usual lol), the names were similar and I confused.

Anyway, since I don't have a mac to grab the official clover package and get the OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi file, I googled it and installed this one (https://github.com/MegaCookie/Lenovo-Y580-OSX-Installer-Clover/blob/master/Clover UEFI/EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi), and deleted "OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi".

That worked fine and got me to the installer, which is pretty much unreadable (check pic). I did find the part of the guide that states:

Note: If you get a "garbled" screen when booting the installer in UEFI mode, enable legacy boot and/or CSM in BIOS (but still boot UEFI). Enabling legacy boot/CSM generally tends to clear that problem.

However, If I enable legacy boot (disabling UEFI) my PC goes straight into Windows and not clover, I guess it ignores all uefi drives. Check pic as well.

Thanks-

PD: I can't find anything CSM related in my BIOS (which is pretty basic compared to my Desktop BIOS).
PD2: As for the folder name, yes, it was indeed a typo, my bad once again!
I can provide pics of all my BIOS tabs if that would be of any help, let me know!

Attachments

• IMG_20170614_172342968.jpg
    IMG_20170614_172342968.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 62
  • IMG_20170614_173029434.jpg
    IMG_20170614_173029434.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 64
That was completely my bad (as usual lol), the names were similar and I confused.

Anyway, since I don't have a mac to grab the official clover package and get the OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi file, I googled it and installed this one (https://github.com/MegaCookie/Lenovo-Y580-OSX-Installer-Clover/blob/master/Clover UEFI/EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi), and deleted "OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi".

That worked fine and got me to the installer, which is pretty much unreadable (check pic). I did find the part of the guide that states:

However, If I enable legacy boot (disabling UEFI) my PC goes straight into Windows and not clover, I guess it ignores all uefi drives. Check pic as well.

Thanks-

PD: I can't find anything CSM related in my BIOS (which is pretty basic compared to my Desktop BIOS).
PD2: As for the folder name, yes, it was indeed a typo, my bad once again!
I can provide pics of all my BIOS tabs if that would be of any help, let me know!

Enable legacy boot/CSM, but keep UEFI enabled. Continue to boot UEFI.

Enable legacy boot/CSM, but keep UEFI enabled. Continue to boot UEFI.

That's what I have now but the installer is awful.

If I enable "UEFI Boot support" (meaning it allows both legacy AND UEFI), I can get to the installer, which is pretty much non-readable.

If I disable "UEFI Boot Support" (Meaning it will only allow Legacy), it completely ignores clover/usb stick and goes straight into Windows.

You can check the pic on my previous post which shows how the BIOS describes both options.

That's what I have now but the installer is awful.

If I enable "UEFI Boot support" (meaning it allows both legacy AND UEFI), I can get to the installer, which is pretty much non-readable.

If I disable "UEFI Boot Support" (Meaning it will only allow Legacy), it completely ignores clover/usb stick and goes straight into Windows.

You can check the pic on my previous post which shows how the BIOS describes both options.

Your laptop may not support CSM (you would know if you tried to install Win7).
You can experiment with the config.plist/GUI/ScreenResolution...
You can also use an invalid ig-platform-id for now and deal with it later.

No idea which laptop you have (or even if you have a laptop...)... your profile is not filled out as per request in post #1.
Please fix before your next reply.

Your laptop may not support CSM (you would know if you tried to install Win7).

How can I check for CSM support?

You can experiment with the config.plist/GUI/ScreenResolution...

What do you mean by "experiment"? what should I put there?

No idea which laptop you have (or even if you have a laptop...)... your profile is not filled out as per request in post #1.
Please fix before your next reply.

I uploaded a file with my FULL laptop specifications. I'll upload it again to this post.

General question, if graphics are screwed up on the installer, it means they will also be screwed once the OS is actually installed? Cause I can barely see the buttons and all, it's hard, but I gues I could put some effor and go through the installer anyway.

Attachments

• Laptop Specs.txt
    196.7 KB · Views: 369
How can I check for CSM support?

The Win7 installer will not boot UEFI without CSM support.

What do you mean by "experiment"? what should I put there?

Try different values, such as 1024x768.

I uploaded a file with my FULL laptop specifications. I'll upload it again to this post.

Not useful. Your profile must indicate your laptop specs, such that it is visible with each post.

General question, if graphics are screwed up on the installer, it means they will also be screwed once the OS is actually installed?

Predicting the future is not possible.

The Win7 installer will not boot UEFI without CSM support.

That's the only way? I don't have a win7 installation, if nothing else works I'll give that a try and let you know.

Try different values, such as 1024x768.

Tried. Issue persists. Note: On your 1600x900 config.plist file the default resolution set by you is 1920x1080 and not 1600x900, is this correct even though its meant for 1600x900?

Not useful. Your profile must indicate your laptop specs, such that it is visible with each post.

I provided that file because it literally describes every single aspect of my laptop, unlike what could fit on my profile/signature. I'll get the summary to my signature though if that's what you prefer. Profile is already being used by my Desktop

Predicting the future is not possible.

Yup, I'm fully aware of that, trust me. Just thought maybe you think I'm not able to see a single button of the installer, hence making the actual install impossible, which is not the case. I just figured it would be wise to ask before deleting my whole current installation, you know... No worries though, I'll give it a try either way and let you know.

As for the valid/invalid platform ids, should I just put 0x12345678 or..?

Thanks again.

That's the only way?

No idea. That is the one way I know of...
Typically a laptop like yours (oldish) will support CSM as it is required for Win7 UEFI.

I don't have a win7 installation, if nothing else works I'll give that a try and let you know.

It is not important anyway... you should use an invalid ig-platform-id and attempt to resolve the issue post-install.

Tried. Issue persists. Note: On your 1600x900 config.plist file the default resolution set by you is 1920x1080 and not 1600x900, is this correct even though its meant for 1600x900?

As per guide, the 1600x900 config is used by 1600x900 and greater.
Your signature is still not filled out correctly...(no indication of screen resolution, and data provided that was not requested).
Please eliminate the unrequested data, and provide only the 7 details as per FAQ/guide.

Note: Samsung laptops tend to be problematic (especially those from Sandy/Ivy era, as is yours). Sometimes they use eDP, which is not supported (as per laptop compatibility guide, linked from FAQ...)

I provided that file because it literally describes every single aspect of my laptop, unlike what could fit on my profile/signature.

Does not matter. No one will chase down the one post you attached it to...
Especially in a thread with over 3000 replies.

As for the valid/invalid platform ids, should I just put 0x12345678 or..?

Yes. Exactly as documented in post #1.

--

For future discussion, please open a separate thread in the appropriate forum. Further discussion is off-topic here.

Back