Contribute
Register

[Guide] Booting the OS X installer on LAPTOPS with Clover

Should I be able to boot the installer created with the new version of unibeast? things are not really like they are described on the first page...

Should I be able to boot the installer created with the new version of unibeast? things are not really like they are described on the first page...

This guide does not use Unibeast. For the most part, Unibeast does not include the correct settings for laptops.

Hi RehabMan,

Thank you a lot for these outstanding guides! Finally, I've got stable Yosemite on my ACER4830TG! I still can't believe :)

Just have a couple of question:

1) I followed step by step with your Clover guide, but have got some interesting issue when Clover boots up from HDD.
I use GPT and place loader into EFI partition. Also, I use Clover config for HD3000_1366x768 from your repo, but turn off a lot of injections (made DSDT patched instead) and patches.
The problem that I discover on every system boot is that Clover hangs up after 5 or more seconds of waiting (I suppose this is connected with Timeout option somehow). For instance, if I press Enter on my OS X partition quickly, there is no problem, but if I wait a little bit, Enter pressing leads to nothing.
Tried to use debug.log, but it has no useful info, you can only see that the boot process is interrupted on some steps.
Can it be a Clover bug? Or wrong config? Config and log attached.

2) I noticed that you change SMBIOS model in configs repo for HD3000 to MacBookPro8,2. Clover does not have predefining settings for this (Only 8,1:8,3:8,4). I tried, have MacPro instead. Do you have a serious reason for changing the model?

Thanks you again!

Attachments

• config&log.zip
    14 KB · Views: 76
Hi RehabMan,

Thank you a lot for these outstanding guides! Finally, I've got stable Yosemite on my ACER4830TG! I still can't believe :)

Just have a couple of question:

1) I followed step by step with your Clover guide, but have got some interesting issue when Clover boots up from HDD.
I use GPT and place loader into EFI partition. Also, I use Clover config for HD3000_1366x768 from your repo, but turn off a lot of injections (made DSDT patched instead) and patches.
The problem that I discover on every system boot is that Clover hangs up after 5 or more seconds of waiting (I suppose this is connected with Timeout option somehow). For instance, if I press Enter on my OS X partition quickly, there is no problem, but if I wait a little bit, Enter pressing leads to nothing.
Tried to use debug.log, but it has no useful info, you can only see that the boot process is interrupted on some steps.
Can it be a Clover bug? Or wrong config? Config and log attached.

Analyse your Clover bootlog.

2) I noticed that you change SMBIOS model in configs repo for HD3000 to MacBookPro8,2. Clover does not have predefining settings for this (Only 8,1:8,3:8,4). I tried, have MacPro instead. Do you have a serious reason for changing the model?

MacBookPro8,2 usually has a better result than the others.

And yes, it is known that Clover's platformdata.c is deficient...

But problems were reported with MacBookPro8,1 and people use it as a template/suggestion for their own SMBIOS choice.

I followed this thread to install el capitan to my laptop.
After end of phase 2, my laptop rebooted and bootloader showed up.
However, I could not see "Boot OS X from xxxx". Only install_osx and recovery hd.
And there were no error occurred during the installation.
Any idea which step I missed?

I followed this thread to install el capitan to my laptop.
After end of phase 2, my laptop rebooted and bootloader showed up.
However, I could not see "Boot OS X from xxxx". Only install_osx and recovery hd.
And there were no error occurred during the installation.
Any idea which step I missed?

It sounds like the installer didn't complete.

From where did you download OS X?
On what hardware did you create your USB installer?

It sounds like the installer didn't complete.

From where did you download OS X?
On what hardware did you create your USB installer?

From app store, and I was successfully (kind of..) installed el capitan to my laptop (Ideapad 300) using unibeast version 6.2.
And I was trying to follow this instruction to compare the differeneces.

From app store, and I was successfully (kind of..) installed el capitan to my laptop (Ideapad 300) using unibeast version 6.2.
And I was trying to follow this instruction to compare the differeneces.

Must have made a mistake along the way...

Also, please fill out your profile as requested in post #1.

Back