Contribute
Register

GUIDE: Booting in 64-bit with Radeon HD 5770 (The easy way)

Status
Not open for further replies.
isisyodin said:
FEROX said:
I guess Ill exchange it. Could you post a newegg link for the card and outline the procedure to run baboon or post a link for the procedure? Thanks for the info

Yeap no problem.

Files you'll need:
-DSDT for your board (Tonymac DSDT database) with HDMI video and audio edits. Check this post to update your DSDT for HDMI video and audio support:
viewtopic.php?p=54238&sid=76e63adf4079f39f8189a7687e9b0fed#p54238
To determine the PEGP address of your GFX card check this post:
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... &p=1613648
-OSX 10.6.5 or 10.6.6 combo from Apple's website
-iBoot
-Multibeast
-com.apple.Boot.plist and smbios.plist attached. You may have to modify them slightly.
-Realtec KEXT from linx2mac: https://docs.google.com/uc?id=0B2RpaAfD ... jroB&hl=en

Here are the steps:
-Use iBoot to get OSX 10.6 installed
-Update to 10.6.5 or 10.6.6 thru a combo update do not reboot
-Use Multibeast->Drivers and Bootloaders to install fakesmc, JMicron36xSATA.kext, Chameleon 2.0 RC5 -ATI with Kabyl
-Paste plists and DSDT to your Extra folder
-Use Multibeast and run System Utilities
-Run linx2mac kext installer
-Reboot. If it does not reboot, force a shutdown and start up your PC.

Note: if you are still using the HIS 5770 at the Chameleon boot up, use:
AtiConfig=Uakari. The bootplist attached enables frame buffer Baboon but the previous command at Chameleon bootup overrides the boot.plist entry.
You can try other frame buffers with this command; also, if you look at the bottom of the post you'll find the cards I have tested. Newegg has a special on the Sapphire this week. Check my post http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... &p=1614365

Good Luck

I tried all the primate frame buffers with no success. The link in the link you posted just goes to Sapphire's website, not a specific card...

Don't know what happened with the link... here it is:
http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentatio ... 01&pid=341
Including a snapshot just in case.

Be sure to use the latest Kabyl boot. His older boot file used a different flag.
His first boot files used flag AtiFb=Framebuffer
His newer boot files use flag AtiConfig=Framebuffer

You can go here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... &p=1546946 and download his boot file and simply do a copy and paste in the root of your drive. You will need permissions, so you are better off using-> sudo cp newkabylbootfilelocation / if you are booting from your OSX drive of course.

I have noticed Kabyl has added an even newer boot 1/9/11. I haven't tried it, but check out the forum to see if there is any changes worth noting.
I will try it tomorrow.

Attachments

• gfx.png
    gfx.png
    167.7 KB · Views: 338
notshy said:
the_gael said:
I may be missing something else you are trying to do but if its just booting and using 64bit Kernel with a 5770 then certainly with my Radeon HD5770 it works out of the box with Easybeast by adding 64bit Boot Screen and using the default RC5.

I wasn't sure if Kabyl's code had been committed to the Trunk RC5 code yet.

This guide was for someone who had installed ATI_Init and was showing how to move over to a boot file method to get the card working.

Glad yours is working with the latest Chameleon.

Ah I see!

Just going to have a go at another Bluetooth Dongle using your guide :)

the_gael said:
notshy said:
[quote="the_gael":1acdxov2]I may be missing something else you are trying to do but if its just booting and using 64bit Kernel with a 5770 then certainly with my Radeon HD5770 it works out of the box with Easybeast by adding 64bit Boot Screen and using the default RC5.

I wasn't sure if Kabyl's code had been committed to the Trunk RC5 code yet.

This guide was for someone who had installed ATI_Init and was showing how to move over to a boot file method to get the card working.

Glad yours is working with the latest Chameleon.

Ah I see!

Just going to have a go at another Bluetooth Dongle using your guide :)[/quote:1acdxov2]

Im using a rocketfish one from Best Buy and it works great OOB.

the_gael said:
I may be missing something that you are trying to do - but is this not a lot simpler than this.

I use a VTX3D Radeon HD5770 1GB DDR and I boot in 64bit bit by installing with no additional Graphics kexts, no configuration by simply using the 64bit com.apple.boot.plist in UserDSDT or Easybeast i.e. GraphicsEnabler=YES. I have installed this way using Multibeast 2.6.1 and Multibeast 3.0.3

I may be missing something else you are trying to do but if its just booting and using 64bit Kernel with a 5770 then certainly with my Radeon HD5770 it works out of the box with Easybeast by adding 64bit Boot Screen and using the default RC5.

So if I was doing a fresh install with a Sapphire 5770, I would just have to use RC5 and 64bit Boot Screen in MultiBeast to get it to work correctly? Or do I do it the old way then follow these instructions?

tdragisics said:
the_gael said:
I may be missing something that you are trying to do - but is this not a lot simpler than this.

I use a VTX3D Radeon HD5770 1GB DDR and I boot in 64bit bit by installing with no additional Graphics kexts, no configuration by simply using the 64bit com.apple.boot.plist in UserDSDT or Easybeast i.e. GraphicsEnabler=YES. I have installed this way using Multibeast 2.6.1 and Multibeast 3.0.3

So if I was doing a fresh install with a Sapphire 5770, I would just have to use RC5 and 64bit Boot Screen in MultiBeast to get it to work correctly? Or do I do it the old way then follow these instructions?

Correct

notshy said:
tdragisics said:
the_gael said:

Correct

Thanks for the quick reply!

I got my sapphire installed and used AtiConfig=Baboon to test that frame buffer, which supported the video, but I didn't have hdmi audio. I'm pretty sure it's because I haven't patched my dsdt for hdmi audio. I tried to follow the guide above to patch it but I've never patched a dsdt and I don't really understand the instructions. Can anyone write a quick straight forward guide on how to patch the dsdt (for noobs)? Thanks

FEROX said:
I got my sapphire installed and used AtiConfig=Baboon to test that frame buffer, which supported the video, but I didn't have hdmi audio. I'm pretty sure it's because I haven't patched my dsdt for hdmi audio. I tried to follow the guide above to patch it but I've never patched a dsdt and I don't really understand the instructions. Can anyone write a quick straight forward guide on how to patch the dsdt (for noobs)? Thanks

Please search the forum and also read TonyMac's blog as he wrote the post on how to patch your DSDT for HDMI audio. He's also posted a link to MacMan's guide for how to edit a DSDT from scratch.

They have put links to the software you need to extract and edit your DSDT. Also please check the wiki

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back