Contribute
Register

[Guide] Avoid APFS conversion on High Sierra update or fresh install

No way for me to check what you've done regarding minstallconfig.xml.
Make sure you follow the guide carefully.
If you make a mistake in editing the xml file, you will probably break the install.
Editing XML must be done carefully and exactly as described.
Thank you ! I will wipe and redo carefully this time. Sorry for taking your time ! Cheers..

So I guess the theory is that HFS+J does not use queued TRIM, but APFS does.

Or...may be with HS, they changed the driver to do the same as APFS...that is, to use queued TRIM commands leading to some of the issues some of us are seeing.

Or...may be with HS, they changed the driver to do the same as APFS...that is, to use queued TRIM commands leading to some of the issues some of us are seeing.

I'm not seeing any new issues with TRIM/HFS+J.
What issues are you referring to?

Could some one help me a bit?
I have samsung evo 960 m.2 ssd and Sierra High on APFS, since I don't want re-install it yet, and I have fsck on every boot, can you tell me how do I disable TRIM, since I don't have any patches in my config.plist, but system report still saying that TRIM supported?

Attachments

• config.plist
    4.7 KB · Views: 210
Could some one help me a bit?
I have samsung evo 960 m.2 ssd and Sierra High on APFS, since I don't want re-install it yet, and I have fsck on every boot, can you tell me how do I disable TRIM, since I don't have any patches in my config.plist, but system report still saying that TRIM supported?

There is no way to disable TRIM on NVMe.
You must install HFS+J instead of APFS.

There is no way to disable TRIM on NVMe.
You must install HFS+J instead of APFS.
Oh, thank you. I should have read more before install

Curious if anyone has used APFS and TRIM on a Samsung 850 EVO? For the time being is the word to just disable TRIM? (I imagine my SSD is new enough to work alright without it enabled)

Curious if anyone has used APFS and TRIM on a Samsung 850 EVO? For the time being is the word to just disable TRIM? (I imagine my SSD is new enough to work alright without it enabled)
Read from #143 and you would not ask this question

Last edited:
Back