Contribute
Register

[Guide] Avoid APFS conversion on High Sierra update or fresh install

Curious if anyone has used APFS and TRIM on a Samsung 850 EVO? For the time being is the word to just disable TRIM? (I imagine my SSD is new enough to work alright without it enabled)

I have had good results with APFS+TRIM on my Samsung 850 EVO devices.
YMMV.

Did you know if the new supplementary update auto convert HFS+J to APFS?

You are absolutely correct. But my take on this is that real men don't kill a mosquito with a canon.
Cheers

TextEdit and nano are not available from the macOS installer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you know if the new supplementary update auto convert HFS+J to APFS?

The update does no conversion.
In fact, it seems the installer does no conversion unless it was an upgrade from a version prior to 10.13.

Hello RehabMan, good morning.

There's a way to change the "minstallconfig.xml" file before create the install media?
E.g: Opening the "Install macOS High Sierra.app" file in Applications folder, and change it?

Thanks

Hello RehabMan, good morning.

There's a way to change the "minstallconfig.xml" file before create the install media?
E.g: Opening the "Install macOS High Sierra.app" file in Applications folder, and change it?

Thanks

Both fresh install and update scenarios are covered in post #1.
Please read it carefully.

Just upgraded to 17A405 everything seemed perfect. I then made a CCC backup, first with CCC 5.?.? on High Sierra with an APFS formatted SSD then from High Sierra 17A365 with CCC 4.1.19 with High Sierra 17A405 mounted externally.
The result in both instances is reflected in the attachment. Only one attachment supplied as both are identical. I conclude that my Xcode 9.0 on APFS HS 17405 is corrupted. Subsequently I CCC'ed Xcode 9.0 as installed on HS 17A365 HFS+ J formatted and found no CCC corruption warnings whatsoever.
Makes me wander as this is my 2nd major APFS catastrophe within a few days. Nevertheless I will stay put considering that my backup strategy is stringent and has never failed me.
Cheers

Attachments

• 17A405 CCC Backupp 17A405 on APFS.jpeg
    17A405 CCC Backupp 17A405 on APFS.jpeg
    557.4 KB · Views: 130
In my previous post #173 I forgot to mention that just prior to updating to 17A405 I also made a CCC backup and that completed without problems. I still have that because 17405 was backed up by CCC to a new image.

Last edited:
so your saying that CCC doesnt like Xcode on APFS? did it copy everything else fine / were you able to boot off the backup even though it said there were errors copying Xcode?

so your saying that CCC doesnt like Xcode on APFS? did it copy everything else fine / were you able to boot off the backup even though it said there were errors copying Xcode?
That is the stuff CCC complained about - Xcode 9.0 - only, but what else may be corrupted or rather may have been corrupted I don't know. I have not tested yet whether I can boot off the backup. Will first attempt to fix Xcode via time machine and then make another CCC backup. If it then works I at least know that the corruption occurred during the update process to 10A405.
Cheers

Back