Contribute
Register

[Guide] Avoid APFS conversion on High Sierra update or fresh install

I convert from APFS to HFS+ and back simply by making a clone of a working High Sierra installation on an APFS volume with CCC. Thereafter I reformat the APFS volume to HFS+ and copy the cloned High Sierra back with CCC to the now formatted HFS+ partition. I use a second computer for the 2nd. stage but is not really required, if one has another media with a working HS. available, it works as well from the same machine just make sure you have apfs.efi present in your Clover drivers64UEFI folder. The apfs.efi version must be appropriate for the High Sierra incarnation you are using. This all sounds cumbersome but, at least for me, works like a dream.
Cheers
it was just easier to wipe and reinstall :)

it was just easier to wipe and reinstall :)
Time wise certainly not, at least that is my experience, besides I always have a CCC backup of the latest
installed macOS available, therefore the initial cloning part adds no extra time to the conversion routine.
My experience has always been that playing back a cloned copy takes much much less time than reinstalling from scratch.

Time wise certainly not, at least that is my experience, besides I always have a CCC backup of the latest
installed macOS available, therefore the initial cloning part adds no extra time to the conversion routine.
My experience has always been that playing back a cloned copy takes much much less time than reinstalling from scratch.
always good to have a backup :)

i have all programs stored on network along with my files, so no real issues

but found that using APFS wasn't too brilliant

How do you disable Trim?

Depends on how you enabled it. The most common way is to use a patch in config.plist/KernelAndKextPatches/KextsToPatch. In that case, just remove or disable the patch.

Or using 'sudo trimforce enable' (to disable, 'sudo trimforce disable').

To edit a file with vi you have to be in insert mode by pressing i once, to get out of edit mode press Esc
To get out of vi when it is in edit/insert mode first press Esc then :wq for write changes to file and quit, or Esc :q! for quitting and discarding changes - this leaves original file untouched.

Yes.
Full instructions are in post #1.

Depends on how you enabled it. The most common way is to use a patch in config.plist/KernelAndKextPatches/KextsToPatch. In that case, just remove or disable the patch.

Or using 'sudo trimforce enable' (to disable, 'sudo trimforce disable').

Thanks. I do not want to remove it but I would like to disable.
This is a picture of my config.plist. Should I change enable to disable?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-09-30 at 9.48.42 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-09-30 at 9.48.42 AM.png
    22.7 KB · Views: 163
Thanks. I do not want to remove it but I would like to disable.
This is a picture of my config.plist. Should I change enable to disable?

Add a key in that entry named 'Disabled', as boolean, set to true.

Add a key in that entry named 'Disabled', as boolean, set to true.

Thanks for your answer. I did it, or I think I did it. I attached a picture. However, in system report, Trim support still shows up as YES. Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-09-30 at 10.55.19 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-09-30 at 10.55.19 AM.png
    24.3 KB · Views: 176
Thanks for your answer. I did it, or I think I did it. I attached a picture. However, in system report, Trim support still shows up as YES. Thanks for your help.

You spelled it wrong.
You have 'Disable'.
Should be 'Disabled'.

Read post #91. Carefully.

Back