Contribute
Register

[Guide] Avoid APFS conversion on High Sierra update or fresh install

All storage technologies can fail. It is why we use backup software. Right?

Please note that the most common cause of data loss is "user error".

Alrighty, I keep a separate Mac mini with macOS Server as a HFS+ Time Machine - I guess I'll go ahead and upgrade :p

Cheers mate, thanks for all you do!

worked for me on my laptop Thanks RehabMan....:clap:

always good to have a backup :)

i have all programs stored on network along with my files, so no real issues

but found that using APFS wasn't too brilliant
All my data is also stored on network drives which I access via NFS from my High Sierra iHacks. During the last few days, since High Sierra's release, I have been testing and playing around quite extensively and could not find anything that bothered me irrespective of whether I fired my iHacks up with APFS or alternatively HFS+ J, formatted storage medium. NFS works equally well with both scenarios as a result of which I decided that Sierra 10.12.6 has outlived its usefulness in my particular environment. I am now using HS. on APFS for my daily production chores, knowing that data loss is highly unlikely considering the backup as well as data storage strategy I am following. The testing I have done to reach at this decision reminds me of the lyrics of a song by Lazy Life of the late 60's that goes something like this, although a bit modified for the purpose of this posting :)
"Little children playing in the park shuffling bits and bytes before they are getting lost in the dark"
The upgrade from Sierra to High Sierra was the smoothest and quickest upgrade that I went through since I started hackintoshing way back in 2011. Obviously that would not have been possible without the groundwork by the multitude of "bright sparks" contributing to this forum.

Last edited:
Should I run HS in HFS+ or APFS?? I've updated from Sierra to High Sierra, it was running in APFS. And I clone with CCC5 to a HFS+ formatted m.2 SSD, copy the EFI to the cloned ssd and ran Clover. Now the clone ssd booted and run in HFS+....

I have same problem as originally indicated in #29.
I have Clover 4220 installed and followed instructions for updating config.plist.
Thing is I have a dual boot system but not 2 separate drives. So "Macintosh SSD" is flush against "Windows".
Regardless of whether I use APFS or not (I'm not and I have checked it says FALSE to ConvertToAPFS already), when I try to do an inplace upgrade I get error that says changes to windows partitions map will render Windows unbootable and I get a "Restart" button.

From what I've gathered, installer trying to create Recovery Partition. For some reason, my OSX install did not create one. I mean it does not seem like a case of "lost partition" for me to reclaim it. I don't think there is a Recovery Partition. So if I'm on the right track, I need to shrink the OSX partition to allow place for Recovery Partition. How do I do that?

If I'm wrong, then hopefully someone can suggest what I can do. I was so happy I had Clover so I could do inplace upgrade. If I have to reinstall (assuming that does not come with its own problems so early on) that's a waste :(

I have same problem as originally indicated in #29.
I have Clover 4220 installed and followed instructions for updating config.plist.
Thing is I have a dual boot system but not 2 separate drives. So "Macintosh SSD" is flush against "Windows".
Regardless of whether I use APFS or not (I'm not and I have checked it says FALSE to ConvertToAPFS already), when I try to do an inplace upgrade I get error that says changes to windows partitions map will render Windows unbootable and I get a "Restart" button.

From what I've gathered, installer trying to create Recovery Partition. For some reason, my OSX install did not create one. I mean it does not seem like a case of "lost partition" for me to reclaim it. I don't think there is a Recovery Partition. So if I'm on the right track, I need to shrink the OSX partition to allow place for Recovery Partition. How do I do that?

If I'm wrong, then hopefully someone can suggest what I can do. I was so happy I had Clover so I could do inplace upgrade. If I have to reinstall (assuming that does not come with its own problems so early on) that's a waste :(

Remove existing partition and re-install.

Ciao.
Sorry, but remaining on HFS + J why should you leave Sierra for High Sierra?

There are a few things fixed in High Sierra. And a few things easier to implement (NVMe, for example).

Wrong.
Code:
SPEEDY-NUC:~ rehabman$ /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/startosinstall --usage
Usage: startosinstall --volume <target volume path>

Arguments
--applicationpath, a path to copy of the OS installer application to start the install with.
--license, prints the user license agreement only.
--agreetolicense, agree to license the license you printed with --license.
--rebootdelay, how long to delay the reboot at the end of preparing. This delay is in seconds and has a maximum of 300 (5 minutes).
--pidtosignal, Specify a PID to which to send SIGUSR1 upon completion of the prepare phase. To bypass "rebootdelay" send SIGUSR1 back to startosinstall.
--converttoapfs, specify either YES or NO on if you wish to convert to APFS.
--installpackage, the path of a package to install after the OS installation is complete; this option can be specified multiple times.
--usage, prints this message.
--volume, path to the target volume.

Example: startosinstall --volume /Volumes/Target --converttoapfs YES

Wrong. :0
Are there two different versions of the High Sierra installer? From the Installer downloaded from App Store after official release last week: (5.18GB, Version 13.0.64)

Code:
/Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/startosinstall --usage
Usage: startosinstall

Arguments
--applicationpath, a path to copy of the OS installer application to start the install with.
--rebootdelay, how long to delay the reboot at the end of preparing. This delay is in seconds and has a maximum of 300 (5 minutes).
--pidtosignal, Specify a PID to which to send SIGUSR1 upon completion of the prepare phase. To bypass "rebootdelay" send SIGUSR1 back to startosinstall.
--installpackage, the path of a package to install after the OS installation is complete; this option can be specified multiple times.

Example: startosinstall --converttoapfs YES

Last edited:
Wrong. :0
Are there two different versions of the High Sierra installer? From the Installer downloaded from App Store after official release last week: (5.18GB, Version 13.0.64)

Code:
/Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/startosinstall --usage
Usage: startosinstall

Arguments

Example: startosinstall --converttoapfs YES

Screen Shot 2017-10-01 at 10.00.02 AM.png

Code:
SPEEDY-NUC:Projects rehabman$ /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/startosinstall --usage
Usage: startosinstall --volume <target volume path>

Arguments
--volume, path to the target volume.

Example: startosinstall --volume /Volumes/Target --converttoapfs YES

Back