Contribute
Register

[Guide] Avoid APFS conversion on High Sierra update or fresh install

I'm losing my religion...
Trying to avoid apfs since on my Sandisk SSD seems to create only problems but I'm stuck in the middle, better in the beginning.
First I tried the guide about High Sierra installation at point 4.9, and maybe I'm not understanding the syntax but when in terminal I put:
/Volumes/Image\ Volume/No-Convert
I get this answer:
!!! No volumes with /macOS Istall Data/minstallconfig.xml found, exiting!!!

So I tried the Fresh Install #1 guide on this thread but when I put the string in the terminal the response is a description of the correct usage of the command with a list of the arguments that I can use. I was expecting something else...
I'm sure I'm missing something. The name of the target is: Hackintosh HD.

Thanks for help.
A.

As you already know, macOS High Sierra includes a new file system APFS. If your system drive is solid state, the installer will convert from HFS+J to APFS in both a fresh install scenario and an update scenario.

Fresh install scenario (or update) using 'startosinstall'

You may be able to use the startosinstall in the fresh install scenario by invoking it from Terminal after booting the installer from USB. But when I tested it in the betas, it did not work, likely due to a bug in the startosinstall code that prevented it from running from the installer. It seems to be fixed by Apple in later releases of the 10.13 installer.

Terminal is available from the "Utilities" menu within the macOS installer.

If you were to attempt it, the USB installer volume (install_osx if following my guide), appears to be mounted at /Volumes/"Image Volume":
Code:
/Volumes/"Image Volume/Install macOS High Sierra.app"/Contents/Resources/startosinstall --volume the_target_volume --converttoapfs NO --agreetolicense

Note: Change the_target_volume as appropriate for the actual name you decided to use for your macOS target volume. Hopefully it is obvious that the target volume must already be formatted as HFS+J.

Thanks Rehab,
that guide is even harder than this... Ok the hardware I'm using is not a laptop but an Asrock Mini Itx Fatal1ty Z370+Coffee Lake i8700k and HD630. Have you any suggestions for the right config.plist?
Tnks!

Make sure SIP is disabled properly. The "--volume" option is not available if you don't have SIP disabled.

Hi Rehab, nothing.
Tried to disable SIP via Clover and via Terminal but the answer is always the same: usage of startosinstall with arguments.
Going crazy...

Make sure SIP is disabled properly. The "--volume" option is not available if you don't have SIP disabled.

No idea what you mean by "download installer information".
As Macdaddy123 raised the question, but I believe he's got lost somewhere there and figured himself out to successfully install it,
But I've had the same problem right now. Made installation USB 3 times, every single times I checked it's 5.19GB one, and still get the message,
"Helper tool crashed."
Anyway I can work this around? FYI I've successfully installed it without problem with APFS file system, not knowing the installer forced me to install into APFS.
Please help me.

P.s. I think Unibeast won't make bootable disk if installer is not 5.19GB. I'm just saying. it happened to me once :)

As Macdaddy123 raised the question, but I believe he's got lost somewhere there and figured himself out to successfully install it,
But I've had the same problem right now. Made installation USB 3 times, every single times I checked it's 5.19GB one, and still get the message,
"Helper tool crashed."
Anyway I can work this around? FYI I've successfully installed it without problem with APFS file system, not knowing the installer forced me to install into APFS.
Please help me.

No idea what you're doing unless you provide more details (screen shot/photo).

P.s. I think Unibeast won't make bootable disk if installer is not 5.19GB. I'm just saying. it happened to me once :)

This guide has nothing to do with Unibeast.
See my Clover guide:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/

No idea what you're doing unless you provide more details (screen shot/photo).

I'm sorry. I'm doing fresh installation with fresh hardware. As I got it correctly, I supposed to type the following: (correct me if I'm wrong)
[/QUOTE]/Volumes/"Image Volume/Install macOS High Sierra.app"/Contents/Resources/startosinstall --volume /Volumes/Hac --converttoapfs NO --agreetolicense[/QUOTE]

Them I get the message,
"Helper tool crashed." And nothing happens.

And I was trying to follow a method I found from googling but it's out of my league..
Just in case you want to check it out, link is following:
https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/discussions/25941/startosinstall-crashes-helper-tool-crashed

Back