Contribute
Register

[Guide] Avoid APFS conversion on High Sierra update or fresh install

I'm sorry. I'm doing fresh installation with fresh hardware. As I got it correctly, I supposed to type the following: (correct me if I'm wrong)
Code:
/Volumes/"Image Volume/Install macOS High Sierra.app"/Contents/Resources/startosinstall --volume /Volumes/Hac --converttoapfs NO --agreetolicense

Them I get the message,
"Helper tool crashed." And nothing happens.

And I was trying to follow a method I found from googling but it's out of my league..
Just in case you want to check it out, link is following:
https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/discussions/25941/startosinstall-crashes-helper-tool-crashed

"Problem Reporting" files are incomplete.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

I'm giving up. I guess there isn't much harm using APFS.
Started installing it with APFS and went like a charm.

I'm giving up. I guess there isn't much harm using APFS.
Started installing it with APFS and went like a charm.

Your call really.

There are quite a few problems with APFS+NVMe (or TRIM on SATA) that affect battery status, PS2 trackpad prefpane, etc.
YMMV.

I was hoping you could help me with this. Whenever I try to erase a partition to APFS diskutil gives "unknown error -110".
So I followed the 2 methods here and everything works fine while in "install_osx".
But the installer gives "unknown error -110" as soon as booting to "Boot macOS Install...".
I can erase the disk partition to HSF+J. The drive is an OEM NVME SSD with an Windows partition on it. I am trying to fresh install 10.13.3.
Here is the EFI partition in case that's the problem.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    7.3 MB · Views: 105
I was hoping you could help me with this. Whenever I try to erase a partition to APFS diskutil gives "unknown error -110".
So I followed the 2 methods here and everything works fine while in "install_osx".
But the installer gives "unknown error -110" as soon as booting to "Boot macOS Install...".
I can erase the disk partition to HSF+J. The drive is an OEM NVME SSD with an Windows partition on it. I am trying to fresh install 10.13.3.
Here is the EFI partition in case that's the problem.

Off-topic.
Open a separate thread in the appropriate forum.

I don’t understand why would I avoid the APFS?

Thanks

I don’t understand why would I avoid the APFS?

Thanks

You avoid APFS so you can install on HFS+J instead.

There are quite a few known problems with APFS, especially on (non-Apple) NVMe drives, and even with (non-Apple) SATA SSDs, especially if you enable TRIM.

Hi RehabMan,
I just clone my OS X partition on new SSD and install CLOVER, seems very well after boot from that SSD.

OK, here's a question.

How can I disable APFS conversion if using AppStore to update OS X, not using OS X installer?

Thanks,

Hi RehabMan,
I just clone my OS X partition on new SSD and install CLOVER, seems very well after boot from that SSD.

OK, here's a question.

How can I disable APFS conversion if using AppStore to update OS X, not using OS X installer?

Thanks,

For minor updates (example: 10.13.0 -> 10.13.1), no automatic APFS conversion.
For major updates (example: 10.12.6 -> 10.13.4), answer to your question is in post #1.

There are quite a few known problems with APFS, especially on (non-Apple) NVMe drives, and even with (non-Apple) SATA SSDs, especially if you enable TRIM.

I looks like my system after a while, is "slower". My SSD is a Samsung 840 pro AFPS formatted (unfortunately I didn't pay attention when I upgraded...) and with disabled TRIM as you recommended.
Is there any command to launch a one time TRIM to see if it helps my system ? (Like the linux fstrim ?)

Thanks

Back