Contribute
Register

[Guide] ASUS ZENBOOK UX305FA for El Capitan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Note that the Xcode command line tools will download/install automatically the first time you try to use them...
Yeah, when I first ran it I got the pop-up to install the xcode commands. For whatever reasons it didn't work until I manually downloaded them from the Apple developer site. I just wanted to put the solution out there in case someone else ran into the same problem

Macbook8,1 is the closest SMBIOS for this device. Read through the last few posts and you'll find a complete smbios posted and a Dummy kext that makes power management work correctly after generating an SSDT with ssdtPRGen

So I just use those smbios settings posted, then generate the ssdt, and then install the dummy kext? Or do I install the kext first and then generate the ssdt? And do I need to rename the kext?

This is my config, save you some time...put into place (i removed my serial #)
Reboot
Generate SSDT (Beta branch of ssdtPRGen remember)
Move generated SSDT into place (EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/Patched/) *DONT RESTART YET*
Install the dummy kext with Kext Utility or alike (dont rename)
Reboot
Check power management with Intel Power Gadget.

There are of course all the ways via command line, but these tools are the most newby friendly.

Attachments

• config.plist
    12.5 KB · Views: 213
Hey guys, so I've been following this guide for a UX305LA on an external SSD. It gets as far as post installation every time and, asides from on two occasions randomly rebooting (both times I forgot to eject all other USB devices, so I figure that had something to do with it), it's ran as expected. I can even shut down and go back into it via the installation USB drive's clover.

Where things screw up is when I put clover on and follow the post installation steps. The device's version of clover does not list OSX on it (but has listed recovery /some/ of the times). Trying to boot via the installer USB no longer works either (fails on the black screen with the apple logo).

I'm using an OS X 10.11.5 installer, config_HD5300_5500_5600_6000.plist for installation and the config.plist file from build (built using a 2010 Macbook Air on mountain lion) upon installation.

Here are the parts where I may have gone off script:
  • Used an external ssd
  • With UX305FA-DSDT-Patch, I kept having issues with it identifying the path for iasl, so I just moved it to the root directory of the repo and that seemed to run with no issues
  • Selected the same options from Clover installer as when installing to the USB
  • I put FakeSMC.kext and ApplePS2SmartTouchPad.kext into the Other folder and deleted the others, on one occasion I kept 10.11 and put them in there too, it seemed to cause no discernible difference.
  • install_downloads.sh fails to find AsusNBFnKeys v2.4
  • Used Voodoo HDA, ran the patch

If you have any particular questions, I can gather up the answers next time I try.

Also, is there a way in which the USB installer can be reused? Or at the very least, is it okay to just run createinstallmedia without repartitioning it, setting up clover and all (i.e. is the clover partition modified by the installation process at all)?

Hey guys, so I've been following this guide for a UX305LA on an external SSD. It gets as far as post installation every time and, asides from on two occasions randomly rebooting (both times I forgot to eject all other USB devices, so I figure that had something to do with it), it's ran as expected. I can even shut down and go back into it via the installation USB drive's clover.

Where things screw up is when I put clover on and follow the post installation steps. The device's version of clover does not list OSX on it (but has listed recovery /some/ of the times). Trying to boot via the installer USB no longer works either (fails on the black screen with the apple logo).

I'm using an OS X 10.11.5 installer, config_HD5300_5500_5600_6000.plist for installation and the config.plist file from build (built using a 2010 Macbook Air on mountain lion) upon installation.

Here are the parts where I may have gone off script:
  • Used an external ssd
  • With UX305FA-DSDT-Patch, I kept having issues with it identifying the path for iasl, so I just moved it to the root directory of the repo and that seemed to run with no issues
  • Selected the same options from Clover installer as when installing to the USB
  • I put FakeSMC.kext and ApplePS2SmartTouchPad.kext into the Other folder and deleted the others, on one occasion I kept 10.11 and put them in there too, it seemed to cause no discernible difference.
  • install_downloads.sh fails to find AsusNBFnKeys v2.4
  • Used Voodoo HDA, ran the patch

If you have any particular questions, I can gather up the answers next time I try.

Also, is there a way in which the USB installer can be reused? Or at the very least, is it okay to just run createinstallmedia without repartitioning it, setting up clover and all (i.e. is the clover partition modified by the installation process at all)?

Are all the SSDTs compiled and in ACPI/patched?

The following were taken from build and placed into ACPI/patched:
SSDT-HACK.aml
SSDT-BATT.aml
SSDT-DEBUG.aml
SSDT-ALS.aml

asides from the directory issue with iasl's directory and AsusNBFnKeys v2.4, I had no issues running the various pieces of the patch repo.

The following were taken from build and placed into ACPI/patched:
SSDT-HACK.aml
SSDT-BATT.aml
SSDT-DEBUG.aml
SSDT-ALS.aml

asides from the directory issue with iasl's directory and AsusNBFnKeys v2.4, I had no issues running the various pieces of the patch repo.

Did you set DVMT-prealloc to 64mb?

Boot verbose, show photo. Attach EFI/Clover folder as ZIP (omit 'themes' folder).

Yup, that definitely was the primary issue there. thanks! It's booting into the slightly off login screen now, the keyboard isn't working and I haven't a bluetooth one to use so that's awkward but I can borrow one from work.

Which EFI/Clover folder is the one you're asking for? The installer USB or the one on the SSD containing OS X?
I assume the fact that OS X isn't appearing as an option on the installed drive and that I'm using the USB's version of clover is a big part of the issue here but I don't get why the one on the SSD isn't aware OSX is there.

Will grab the files in EFI/Clover files next time I run through setup in case they're needed.

Attachments

• applelog1.txt
    105.4 KB · Views: 318
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back