Contribute
Register

(guide 6/17) MSI Z77A-GD80 with Thunderbolt running 10.7.4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Thunderbolt MB: MSI Z77A-GD80 Anyone else taking a stab?

Thats a nice looking board. I'm waiting for Asus to release there Firewire card. Then i'll jump on the bandwagon far as testing goes. :mrgreen:

Good Luck!

Could you do me a quick favor? Would you mind checking the in-box documentation to see what chipset the on-board Firewire is using? According to the MSI Web site > Detailed Specifications page > Internal I/O connectors section of the page, the board evidently has: "1 x IEEE 1394 connector"

If you don't find that connector on the board itself, or any reference in the docs to the chipset, I'm wondering if that's a typo on their Web site, then?

THANKS! :headbang:

BoomR said:
Could you do me a quick favor? Would you mind checking the in-box documentation to see what chipset the on-board Firewire is using? According to the MSI Web site > Detailed Specifications page > Internal I/O connectors section of the page, the board evidently has: "1 x IEEE 1394 connector"

If you don't find that connector on the board itself, or any reference in the docs to the chipset, I'm wondering if that's a typo on their Web site, then?

THANKS! :headbang:
Will do. Headed home from work now.

BoomR said:
MUST.HAVE.THIS.BOARD!! :ugeek:

(well, not YOUR board... but one just like it!!) :D

Personally I would rather have the ASUS P8Z77-V Premium but that board cost ~$450 USD. I'd take either board but again I would prefer the Premium. Asus also has a P8Z77-V Pro / Thunderbolt motherboard but I haven't seen pricing on it yet.

Most Asus Z77 class motherboards have a Thunnderbolt "TB_Header" for use with a future add-in card so technically most Asus Z77 motherboards are Intel Thunderbolt ready starting with the ~$150 Asus P8Z77-V LK or was it the LX,....not sure,...it was one of the two,...

The Asus Thunderbolt add-in card will be something like ~$30 to ~$40 USD.

Here To Help said:
Can you connect 2 computers together using Thunderbolt? I have not read anything that said you could or could not.

Here's an article on MacWorld about how to do 'Target Disk Mode' with an iMac and a MacBook Pro via Thunderbolt.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1160887 ... rbolt.html

I've used FireWire 'Target Disk Mode' with my PowerBook G4 and my GA-P55M-UD2 fine, so I don't see why it wouldn't work with Thunderbolt.

I could be wrong.

About to build it. Waiting for my gf to get back from the gym. She'll be building my current hack into a her Fractal R3 while I build mine :D

Octavean said:
Most Asus Z77 class motherboards have a Thunnderbolt "TB_Header" for use with a future add-in card so technically most Asus Z77 motherboards are Intel Thunderbolt ready starting with the ~$150 Asus P8Z77-V LK or was it the LX,....not sure,...it was one of the two,...

The Asus Thunderbolt add-in card will be something like ~$30 to ~$40 USD.

Yeah...not the same. ASUS for a while had this combo LAN + Audio card they were calling "Thunderbolt." -- That's what the header is for. It wasn't for REAL LightPeak aka Thunderbolt.

Alfa147x said:

AAARRRRGGGHHHHH!!!! :banghead:

Well, thankfully that mobo has enough PCIe slots that I can use my Syba card...

Thanks for doing the recon for me! :headbang:

Didn't finish the build yet. I realized I bought a cooler for sandy bridge -e. But just found the mounting hardware for lga1155 from noctua so I should be set. Hopefully booting tomorrow after my ssd gets in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back