Contribute
Register

[GUIDE 4530s] Lion --> Mountain Lion Upgrade Method - WiFi, Bluetooth, more!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Mentor! And thanks again to try to bring some organization to the forum because, at the moment, most of the information are dispersed.
If you need help, count on me! It will be a pleasure for me to help if I can!

Do you know a good download manager? I find this: Folx 2.0 but maybe it exist something better.
To burn cd and dvd, the best program is Toast, right?

I just use the DL mgr that is part of Chrome. I don't need anything fancy though...

And as far as burning optical media, I don't even have the DVD drive installed on my laptop... I have no use for optical media... It is a 1990s technology (ok, maybe that is extreme, but...)

Also you should realize I'm a Mac noob. Before I got my 4530s a couple of months ago, I had *never* used a Mac... Prior to that, my only Apple experience was programming the Apple IIe in high school.

Now that I know this, you are more and more my Mentor! I'm completley agree with you! Everything you say is liquid gold for me! It's hard to believe that you are a Mac noob.. By the way your dedication and your skills, are to admire! I'm reading your Guide to Installing Mountain Lion on HP Probook..is perfect and clear on each point..well done! Please, create a sticky for your Guide to Installing Windows 7, Windows 8, Mac OS X Lion, and Ubuntu Multi-Boot too!
Continue like this and please, if I can help, just tell me.. It will be a great honor for me!

Thanks RehabMan!

RehabMan, I noticed that when I use the laptop with the AC power adapter plugged-in, without the battery, In the bar I have the battery icon with an X inside (the system recognize that there is no battery), but the energy profile remain the battery one (stand-by screen after 2 min. etc...). Actually I'm using the probook installer's battery kext; if I install yours, this bug will be solved? I have to choose the rehabman-battery-withfix? and just install it with kext wizard, right? Thank you!

RehabMan, I noticed that when I use the laptop with the AC power adapter plugged-in, without the battery, In the bar I have the battery icon with an X inside (the system recognize that there is no battery), but the energy profile remain the battery one (stand-by screen after 2 min. etc...). Actually I'm using the probook installer's battery kext; if I install yours, this bug will be solved? I have to choose the rehabman-battery-withfix? and just install it with kext wizard, right? Thank you!

Yes, that was the first bug I fixed in the battery code.

Best to get it from github. See: https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-ACPI-Battery-Driver, then go to Downloads.
Install w/ Kext Wizard.

Optional (but a good idea): remove unused AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext in Terminal:

Code:
sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

I have removed the attachments in that post to avoid confusion...

Thanks again RehabMan, is working like a charm!
About your New VoodooPS2Controller, Keyboard, Trackpad, actually I'm using the applePS2controller provided by th probook installer.
If I install yours, which benefits I have? Isn't better to use the probook installer kext (applePS2 stock-patched kext)?

Thanks again RehabMan, is working like a charm!
About your New VoodooPS2Controller, Keyboard, Trackpad, actually I'm using the applePS2controller provided by th probook installer.
If I install yours, which benefits I have? Isn't better to use the probook installer kext (applePS2 stock-patched kext)?

See the changelog in the README: https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Voodoo-PS2-Controller

Most of the things in the changelog are improvements on the one in the installer. Once you use it, you won't go back... that's for sure.

So I have absolutely to try it.
BTW, how I can change the name of my pc? I mean, when in the probook installer I choose the system definition (MacBook Pro 8,2), the pc name becomes MacBook Pro 8,2.
For example, when I use for the first time iMessage, an email arrives on my mail-account saying that my apple ID has been used on a MacBook Pro 15", called “MacBookPro8,2”.
How is it possible to change the pc name?
Changing the name, there is no type of repercussion, right?
Thanks!

So I have absolutely to try it.
BTW, how I can change the name of my pc? I mean, when in the probook installer I choose the system definition (MacBook Pro 8,2), the pc name becomes MacBook Pro 8,2.
For example, when I use for the first time iMessage, an email arrives on my mail-account saying that my apple ID has been used on a MacBook Pro 15", called “MacBookPro8,2”.
How is it possible to change the pc name?
Changing the name, there is no type of repercussion, right?
Thanks!

The MacBookPro8,2 sounds more like the name of the system definition, and I don't think you can (nor do you want to) change it.
There is a 'Computer Name' under System Preferences -> Sharing... but I haven't tried changing it to see what effect it might have.

Ok. So, I won't change it.
For the DVD not recognized, I have to use those kexts from here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook-4530s/71939-4530s-xou15t-dvd-not-recognized.html or you can provide me something even better? Maybe you can create, check or patch the same (or newest kexts)? I trust and use only what comes from you or your experience.
Thanks a lot Mentor!

OK... the mentor stuff has to stop... :) I know you mean well, but I'm just a regular guy (admittedly a pro software dev) trying to learn just like everyone else...

I haven't even looked at that solution because:

- the DVD drive I have is not affected by the problem. It always shows up (when I install it)
- I don't use the DVD drive
- instead, I have a hard drive caddy that I can put in the optibay when I need extra space or need space for fast transfers (SATA)

I would guess that those kexts come from Multibeast, so updates there might be something to watch.
But if it works for you... the old saying... "if ain't broke, don't fix it"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back