Contribute
Register

[GUIDE 4530s] Lion --> Mountain Lion Upgrade Method - WiFi, Bluetooth, more!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok RehabMan I will read your precious informations.
I have installed the 10.8.2 supplemental update and when I rebooted the system and reached the desktop, the keyboard and the trackpad did not work and I had a little graphical glitch. So I rebooted normally and everything now is working well (I didn't do anything, just reboot). Maybe is better that I install the graphical glitches fix from the probook installer? I don't know, because now everything is ok.

Just some quick more questions please:

Which browser I have to use? Safari or Chrome?
Which program I have to use for the Zip, 7z and RAR files? On windows I was using WinRAR but on Mac I don't know.
Which color profile I have to choose for the monitor? The one I have now shows the blu colors like violet.

Thanks Mentor!

Browser: I use Chrome because it is fast and works on both Windows and Mac.
ZIP: There is basic functionality built-in to finder, and that's what I use unless I run into something it doesn't handle. Google is your friend there.
Color profile: I used the "EDID generator" in the Probook installer.

And if you have graphics glitches use the installer to install SMCpingDaemon. It will help.

RehabMan is normal that the only way to wake the pc from sleep is to push the power button? Is not like in windows 7 that you can push everything you want?

Thanks!

RehabMan is normal that the only way to wake the pc from sleep is to push the power button? Is not like in windows 7 that you can push everything you want?

Thanks!

This laptop requires power button, even in Win7.

thanks!
I think that your dsdt have solved my occasional kernel panic! Are you using the F29 bios? Is better than the F20? Do you recommend me to upgrade it?

thanks!
I think that your dsdt have solved my occasional kernel panic! Are you using the F29 bios? Is better than the F20? Do you recommend me to upgrade it?

I am using F.29. I don't really think it matters much...

Got it Mentor!

Next time that I upgrade from 10.8 to 10.8.2, I don't have to use probook installer to get 10.8.1 kexts (just choose the Mac OS X option 10.8.1), right?
I just have to install the AHCI fix and the BigDonkey patched kexts, no?
So this is the procedure(?):

1 - Install the combo update 10.8.2 (don't reboot)
2 - Apply the AHCI patch using the terminal
3 - Install the 2 kexts from BigDonkey (optionally repair and rebuild permissions and cache too) using Kext Wizard
4 - Reboot and enjoy Mountain Lion 10.8.2

Got it Mentor!

Next time that I upgrade from 10.8 to 10.8.2, I don't have to use probook installer to get 10.8.1 kexts (just choose the Mac OS X option 10.8.1), right?
I just have to install the AHCI fix and the BigDonkey patched kexts, no?
So this is the procedure(?):

1 - Install the combo update 10.8.2 (don't reboot)
2 - Apply the AHCI patch using the terminal
3 - Install the 2 kexts from BigDonkey (optionally repair and rebuild permissions and cache too) using Kext Wizard
4 - Reboot and enjoy Mountain Lion 10.8.2

I'm confused. What do you mean "next time." If you already have 10.8.2 running how would you end up with 10.8? And using the 10.8.1 option in the installer is exactly how you get the 10.8.1 kexts installed on your system.

Or are you talking about if you did a fresh install using your 10.8 Unibeast USB stick? In that case, you would have to do exactly as I said because you need to get certain patched kexts. AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext is one that comes to mind... it was updated in 10.8.1 but not 10.8.2, therefore isn't part of BigDonkey's set, so that's why you get it from the installer.

It all comes down to what is required to be patched (replaced) and what is updated in each release. When a new release comes out, we look at it in an app like Pacifist that lets you look into a pkg to see what is being updated. Then we know what needs new patches or further scrutiny... You can look inside the PKG for the Installer itself with Pacifist if you are curious about what is being replaced.

Sorry for the confusion, Mentor! Yes, I meant a fresh installation!
So, I have to use the probook installer twice: one time to set up the 10.8.0 installation and a second time after apply the update 10.8.2 (without rebooting), right?
The first time in the probook installer I have to choose the 10.8.0 OS X version and the second time the 10.8.1?
How is the procedure if I start directly with the 10.8.2 installation?
I bought the 10.8.0. If I re-download it, it give me directly the 10.8.2 or I have to buy it again?
Thanks!

Sorry for the confusion, Mentor! Yes, I meant a fresh installation!
So, I have to use the probook installer twice: one time to set up the 10.8.0 installation and a second time after apply the update 10.8.2 (without rebooting), right?

Pretty much. Because you're going to need the internet to get the update from apple.com, and for that you're going to need WiFi, and to get WiFi working you'll need to run tegezee's installer. Now, if you already had the update handy...

The first time in the probook installer I have to choose the 10.8.0 OS X version and the second time the 10.8.1?
How is the procedure if I start directly with the 10.8.2 installation?
I bought the 10.8.0. If I re-download it, it give me directly the 10.8.2 or I have to buy it again?
Thanks!

You might want to take a look at the guide I just posted as a sticky...
You can download 10.8.2 at no cost.

Thanks Mentor! And thanks again to try to bring some organization to the forum because, at the moment, most of the information are dispersed.
If you need help, count on me! It will be a pleasure for me to help if I can!

Do you know a good download manager? I find this: Folx 2.0 but maybe it exist something better.
To burn cd and dvd, the best program is Toast, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back