Contribute
Register

GTX 970 / GTX 980 are here

Status
Not open for further replies.
All thanks to your help a few months back! I'm going to get an additional 780 TI for a total of 3 gpus. I've never seen such insanely fast 3D rendering in octane. Each card doubles the speed. Near real time. It's definitely the future.
But how did you get that all 2 cards work together in C4D Octane? I thought it should use only one card but not both at time.

By the way, do you check the temperature of the 980 when it renders a video? I didn't find a solution for getting the temperature of the card. That would be nice to know how warm is it at the moment.

But what's wrong with 1440p? My second monitor has 2560x1440 and it seems all work fine for 2 days of using GTX 980 :)

Nothing at all. What I was trying to say was that I don't need 4K, and without any drivers I was stuck with a very low res and only 3MB frame buffer. I don't need SLI in OS X either, but guess in the future the extra GPU compute performance might be useful.

Of course it's completely your fault for not being psychic, because of... reasons??? ;-)

My only only GPU problem I'm still looking to solve is to get OS X to decide which graphics card it wants to output the desktop on and flipping stick to it!

But how did you get that all 2 cards work together in C4D Octane? I thought it should use only one card but not both at time.

By the way, do you check the temperature of the 980 when it renders a video? I didn't find a solution for getting the temperature of the card. That would be nice to know how warm is it at the moment.

Not sure the exact steps, but in previous posts of this forum @Going Bald pointed me to the proper 980 drivers, and once one card worked in Octane, I bought a second and it showed up in Octane's settings without any driver installation, and it started working just like that.

I'm not sure about temperatures, that's a concern of mine as well, but so far I haven't had any issues. I have both cards side by side, so if anyone else figured out how to gauge temperatures in OSX, please let me know.

For a GTX 980, does anyone have any insight on 1 to 1, display port to display port monitors? Does the DP work? I am interested in a 3440 x 1440 monitor, which supports 60hz through display port.

I currently only have a DVI -> HDMI cable on my 1080p monitor. With the DVI plugged into my computer, and HDMI into the monitor, it works flawlessly.

For a GTX 980, does anyone have any insight on 1 to 1, display port to display port monitors? Does the DP work? I am interested in a 3440 x 1440 monitor, which supports 60hz through display port.

I currently only have a DVI -> HDMI cable on my 1080p monitor. With the DVI plugged into my computer, and HDMI into the monitor, it works flawlessly.
See post #242 for what I was able to get. Not sure if it is OS X, the GPU or the Dell display, but couldn't get the full rated resolution of the 4k display and couldn't get anything but 30Hz either.

Success at last. I now have the Asrock X99M Killer booting with Clover and the GTX980.
All 3 DP ports and the HDMI port work. With 4 displays connected, the 4k UP2414Q display works at only 1080P, same as the other displays.
Oddly enough, the HDMI port does not show up in System Profiler, only the 3 DP displays.View attachment 120709

With only the 4K display connected, I can get max res of 3008x1692@30Hz.
Text is sharp, but a bit too small for my eyes to comfortably read with the display 24"-30" away (my normal distance). 2560x1440@30Hz is a much more comfortable res for normal working conditions.
View attachment 120711View attachment 120710

Thanks for the link, I think I saw this before. It is hard for me to conclude what my outcome will be, I will keep my fingers crossed. Are you on 10.10.2 here? Thanks again.

Edit -- I also have my SMBios set at iMac 14,2. I didn't pick, and Clover decided for me. Since I got the same results as when I set SMbios to Mac Pro 3,1, I haven't changed it.

Edit Again -- Sorry, I just noticed my ROM Revision is different. I don't know if mine is older/newer. It's VBIOS 84.04.31.00.f6

Final Edit I hope -- My HDMI Port works, I thought it didn't before.

Finally I've bought DVI->DP adapter and DP-cable. Dual monitors doesn't boot with my Gigabyte GTX 980. I've tried following dual monitors configurations:

• DP + DP - doesn't boot (white screen)
  • DP + DVI - doesn't boot (white screen)
  • DP + "DualLink DVI-I -> DP_adapter" - doesn't boot (white screen)
  • DVI + DVI - doesn't boot (white screen with disabled icon)

Monitors: DELL U2412M (1920x1200) + SAMSUNG SMS27A850 (2560x1440)

When the system is booted with single monitor I can plug the second one and it perfectly works at: 2k resolution.
By the way, I don't know why but my "DualLink DVI-I -> DP_adapter" doesn't work at 2k resolution but I suppose it should because it's dvi-i not just dvi. It works only with 1080p.

I am using the Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 and have two ASUS PB278Q's (2560x1440) both plugged in with DisplayPort. Works amazing. Very stable and no issues in Yosemite 10.10.2

R9 280X is essentially a 7970, so should work OOB for most brands (xfx is causing similar problems as it did with the 57xx series) so this would be a good upgrade. From reading here on the forum it shows up in system profiler as a 7970 so you know AMD is just renaming old cards to try to convince you that you are getting something new when you are not. Do a forum search for the card and see what people who have bought one think about it.

That's pretty interesting, a cooler running 7970? That would be a worthwhile upgrade. Thanks for the insight, I'll take a dive this weekend maybe. Work is literally eating my seconds these days. FYI - the 5770 is rock stable, I have run FCE on dual monitors (a mini ACD 27" and a Dell U24) with HD source for at least 2 years now and as long as 75 days before rebooting. Originally ran SL on this, then jumped to ML, once it was deemed stable enough, and now looking at Yosemite, mainly because all my other macs are running it already.

I just want to confirm that using the Nvidia Web Drivers from 3/11, My display port worked flawlessly at 3440 x 1440, 60hz. Now if only my desk wasn't so cheap that it wobbled when I type lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back