Contribute
Register

GTX 960 4GB breaks boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
It appears as though OS X boots, but it doesn't display anything and goes blank at about the 1/3rd mark of the progress bar.

Turn on screen sharing and see what it reports the video card as.

Turn on screen sharing and see what it reports the video card as.

I've turned on screen sharing (card not plugged in so I could boot), but I don't see any information regarding the video card. Leaving screen sharing on and booting with the card in

I really appreciate your help and patience, by the way; thank you. :)

In theory this should work. Have you tried any different profiles? Try Mac Pro 3,1.

Created a new config.plist file in Clover Configurator with that profile and I can now reach to the halfway point in the progress bar, and then it seems to have stopped moving. BUT it didn't go away!

Should I force it off or let it be?

Alright, I booted in verbose mode with injected kexts, and it loaded, but when I open the About This Mac section, it says the graphics card only has 7MB...

Alright, I booted in verbose mode with injected kexts, and it loaded, but when I open the About This Mac section, it says the graphics card only has 7MB...

I misspoke. I meant to say "without caches and with injected kexts."

In Clover Configurator...

1. Go to SMBIOS.
2. Click the magic wand icon on the right of the screen.
3. Choose the MacPro icon.
4. In the top left corner, change to Mac Pro (3,1) - LGA775
5. Click the "shake" buttons next to the "Week of Manufacture" and "Unit Number" fields
6. Save you configuration and reboot.

Make sure "nvda_drv=1" is marked as a bootleg and that nv_disable=1 is NOT check. I had to add GraphicsEnabler=No on the Custom Flags section.

If you had to makes any boot flag modifications, then save your configuration again.

Reboot and let me know how it went.

Hi,
maybe I can help, since I have a similiar configuration and had the same problem.
Do you have the alternate NVIDIA driver installed ? It doesn´t work without.
If not, try this:

1. In Clover, load the config.plist of your EFI partition. Under "boot", set "darkwake=0", nvda_drv=1
2. Shut down
3. Plug your screen into the graphics port of the ASUS Z97
4. Boot and hit F2, to go to the BIOS. Switch to advanced mode.
5. Navigate to Advanced->System Agent Configuration->Graphics Configuration->Primary Display and set it to CPU-Graphics.
6. Save BIOS-Settings and boot, but stop at the Clover startup screen.
7. At Clover, choose "Options"
8. With the arrow keys, go to "boot args", hit RETURN key and type "nv_disable=1,nvda_drv=0" (this is temporarely and overwrites your config.plist just this time)
9. Hit RETURN key again and go back to Clover main menu
10. choose your startup disk and hit to boot
11. If all went fine, you should be able to enter your desktop. Now, get the right NVIDIA graphics driver for your system here: http://www.macvidcards.com/which-driver-should-i-install-for-my-new-gpu.html
Also install the NVIDIA CUDA driver: http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda-mac-driver.html
12. Install and shut down.
13. Plug the screen into the card port.
14. Boot into BIOS, and set Primary Graphics to PCI-E
15. Save and boot into MacOS
16. Smile :)

Cheers
Oliver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back