Contribute
Register

GTX 660 glitch issue with MacOS High Sierra 10.13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to let you guys know. I have this issue on my actual Mac Pro using 10.13. Using a GTX 660 and I get artifacts after about an hour or so in chrome. I tried the web drivers from nVidia, but I get the same issue. The artifacting is mainly in chrome, but it shows outside of chrome occasionally when I drag the chrome window - sort of like a smear of artifacts across the screen where the window was.

what profile you used to prevent this issue fro happening?

For the record... I found that changing resolution/profiles might hide the issue for a while but they come back. Adobe products would always force the 'glitch' to show itself.

The only true fix is to buy a new video card or roll back to 10.12.

Yeah . I though it was a fix but the glitches came back after an hour

FYI: Updating to High Sierra 10.13.1 Public Beta 5 does NOT solve the problem.
Rollin' back to 10.12.6 again.;)

Hi,
at moment with wb driver 378.10.10.10.15.121 i have no problem with my GTX660 TI .. but system running for less than 2 hours

Edited ---
ok just after posting .. they started again .. :(

Fabrizio

FYI: Updating to High Sierra 10.13.1 Public Beta 5 does NOT solve the problem.
Rollin' back to 10.12.6 again.;)

Hi guys,
I'm very new here but running a 2009 Mac Pro, flashed to 5,1, and like many of you I've got a GTX 660. I have the rendering artifacts like everyone else here. They only show up intermittently -- my system looks fine for hours at a time, and then it will bug out. Changing display resolution seems to "reset" the artifacts for a little while, which is a nice workaround.

Couple of questions, and please forgive my n00bness here ...
  1. For those who are rolling back to 10.12.x, what is the right way to do that?
    I'm concerned that the firmware update that I ran prior to the High Sierra upgrade will have made it impossible for me to roll back to a prior OS. Is that a possible risk or no?
    I have an SSD boot drive and an HDD storage drive. Should I use the HDD as a temporary startup drive (installing 10.12 on it) and then boot up from that to install 10.12 again to my main SSD?

2. For those who have noted enabling Intel HD in EFI as being key to solving the problem ... help?
    Since I have a real Mac I've been able to avoid digging into the system-level tweaks that are common on this forum, e.g. EFI modification, etc. On this front, could someone point out where I can get started? Or if you want to walk me through it fully, hell, be my guest!

Thanks for any help or feedback.

Hi guys,
I'm very new here but running a 2009 Mac Pro, flashed to 5,1, and like many of you I've got a GTX 660. I have the rendering artifacts like everyone else here. They only show up intermittently -- my system looks fine for hours at a time, and then it will bug out. Changing display resolution seems to "reset" the artifacts for a little while, which is a nice workaround.

Couple of questions, and please forgive my n00bness here ...
  1. For those who are rolling back to 10.12.x, what is the right way to do that?
    I'm concerned that the firmware update that I ran prior to the High Sierra upgrade will have made it impossible for me to roll back to a prior OS. Is that a possible risk or no?
    I have an SSD boot drive and an HDD storage drive. Should I use the HDD as a temporary startup drive (installing 10.12 on it) and then boot up from that to install 10.12 again to my main SSD?

2. For those who have noted enabling Intel HD in EFI as being key to solving the problem ... help?
    Since I have a real Mac I've been able to avoid digging into the system-level tweaks that are common on this forum, e.g. EFI modification, etc. On this front, could someone point out where I can get started? Or if you want to walk me through it fully, hell, be my guest!

Thanks for any help or feedback.

As far as #1 goes, that's never been the case, as far as I can remember, and I've been using Macs for decades. Firmware updates are often thrown in with system updates, for various reasons, but aren't retroactively required by previous OSes. There's nothing that would stop you from going back to a previous OS or from using them all at the same time.

It's always a good idea to make an additional backup of your system and sit on it for a little while, before upgrading, for situations like this, but your reinstall idea should work fine.

As far as #1 goes, that's never been the case, as far as I can remember, and I've been using Macs for decades. Firmware updates are often thrown in with system updates, for various reasons, but aren't retroactively required by previous OSes. There's nothing that would stop you from going back to a previous OS or from using them all at the same time.

It's always a good idea to make an additional backup of your system and sit on it for a little while, before upgrading, for situations like this, but your reinstall idea should work fine.

Great, thanks for the confirmation and feedback!

Hi everyone. Had artifacts after update too(((
I enabled internal graphics & set it to "start first" in BIOS options. For a little time it helps( but artifacts came back

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back