Contribute
Register

GTX 4xx Fermi Cards & 10.6.8 - QE, OpenGL/CL & CUDA Benches

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: GTX 480 & 10.6.8 - QE, OpenGL/CL & CUDA Benches

akosmaroy said:
I'm trying to get the best out of my nvidia GTX 470 as well. but first, I'd like to get it work in 64 bit mode at all :)

after doing the 10.6.8 upgrade, it seems there is a conflict between the official nvidia drivers and the updated IOPCIFamily.kext, fixing the "PCI configuration begin" issue.

I installed the 10.6.8 upgrade, and the official nvidia drivers. what I get is that it works when booting in 32 bit mode. but the boot process hangs with the "PCI configuration begin" option on 64 bit. installing the updated IOPCIFamily.kext fixes this - but the nvidia driver won't work with this kext installed. (I confirmed - reverting to the older IOPCIFamily.kext will make the nvidia driver work fine)

thus: how to make the nvidia driver work in 64 bit mode?

Thanks so much for this tip. I had replaced that kext and could not get the graphics working on my GTX 480. Put it back, boot in 32 bit mode and it works perfectly. Thanks so much!!

Hi guys,

I got my GTX480 (asus) working no problem but what REALLY bugs me is the OpenGL performance...

It literally makes me want to scream.... I get around 16-20 fps in Cinebench OpenGL test. Is there any solution coming up that could fix this really sucky issue for this (otherwise perfect) card?

koszta15 said:
Hi guys,

I got my GTX480 (asus) working no problem but what REALLY bugs me is the OpenGL performance...

It literally makes me want to scream.... I get around 16-20 fps in Cinebench OpenGL test. Is there any solution coming up that could fix this really sucky issue for this (otherwise perfect) card?

Not yet. Under Snow Leopard 4xx cards do not support OpenGL nor QuartzExtreme.

We'll upgrade to Lion soon, that will fix the issue. ;)

How do you know that it really will fix the issue? (no offence )

Well I agree :)

I am a developer for Linux in my spare time (QT apps like Kmail). Also done some work around package management for Debian (yay for this distro :p ). I believe that those who know how should contribute :)
I am just playing with the Hackintosh when I have time cause I'd like to learn the last system I dont really know. (know Lin & BSD through n through (so Terminal is my app on Mac :D, hate Win :p )

Thanks! :angel:

I've got bad news, after about 1 week of intense testing without any KP nor freezes, my GTX480 started to freeze 2 days ago. I don't know where the problem comes from, I'm currently investigating. It also affects Windows 7 after rebooting, I have to totally sutdown my computer and turn off the power to fix the freeze issue. The problem occures while the card is downclocked on MacOS and that the graphical acceleration become suddently required (for example if I stress Exposé, or navigate with FireFox). Or in the case of Windows only after rebooting for OSX it occures right after the login screen when Aero is launched.

I thus started investigating on the AGPM side, this is really weird because this issue started to occure suddently... :(

No issue at all when the card is not idle/downclocked. I can still play games and run benchmark tools.

I first thought to an overheat issue, but it is not, freezes CAN occure after a fresh cold boot when the card is 45 degrees. On Windows I can play Crysis 2 FULL DX11 HiRes without any issue. I also launched stressing tests, the card reached 105 degrees, and no issue at all. So this is definitely a driver problem on the OSX side (can be fixed with AGPM edit).

I've got ideas to fix this, I also read a lot about people having similar issues here and on insanelymac. There are fixes, but it requires investigation to adjust the correct settings.

Don't worry, if things don't work on SL, we have Lion that is coming out this month ;) (with similar issues, but they can easily ne fixed)

I can confirm that ... My GTX480 (asus) is working pretty much ok. I would give it 4/5 on reliability. I can tell that the Official drivers arent absolutely flawless . Actually far from it but the only reliability issue I experienced was following. When I boot MacOS (dont have dual boot) sometimes it ends in "blue screen" right before login. No kernel panic or anything. It just gets stuck there. Restarting usually doesnt help you have to turn the computer off completely and then start it again. So drivers work (performance is flawless in MacOS) but they are no way ideal.

What really bugs me is the OpenGL performance... Which is (as I've said already) C*R*A*P

Lion we need you !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back