#1:  'CUDA-Device #1 'GeForce GTX 480''
#2:  'OpenCL-Device 'ATI Radeon Barts XT Prototype''
#3:  'CPU-Core (SSE2)'
#4:  'CPU-Core (SSE2)'
#5:  'CPU-Core (SSE2)'
#6:  'CPU-Core (SSE2)'
#7:  'CPU-Core (SSE2)'
#8:  'CPU-Core (SSE2)'

Wow, so you got what I was trying to do in the last month or so without success.
I have two Fermi graphic cards I want to use for opencl development under Lion.
If I leave only one card I get everything working, cuda and opencl using the Netkas method.
With two cards, I use GFX strings to avoid the system hanging on startup, but then with EFI strings, cud a/opencl is not working, not even opencl or hardware acceleration.

How did you get both of them working?

:thumbup:

You have several methods to do it.

First you can use GFX strings with the correct @adresses to the PCI ports and enable both cards, this should work well. You can extract xml informations from the lastest ATY_Init.kext info.plist file of Netkas ;) and build your custom GFX Strings.

Second method is to directly use NetKas ATY_Init.kext, this is the way it works for me :) I have disabled GraphicsEnabler, and ATY_Init.kext injects me everything for me :) it automatically detects the correct PCI ports for me ^^.

Read the full discussion: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... pic=264941

If you use netkas kext, check logs to see if everything is fine with ATY_Init. And if you use EFI Strings, let me know which card you're using and post here what the ioreg displays and I can help you to have both cards injected with explanation ;)

Sorry double post.

Regarding my GTX 480, it died when I was on Snow Leopard when I tried to make it work with 10.6.8. Now time to time the card stop responding or compute false results. So I have to disable it under Lion :'(, if not after 5-30min I have a KP saying CPU is broken.

Anyway, I don't really need it to run under Lion, since my new ATI HD6870 does everything I need very well with ATY_Init.kext (thank you netkas) :)

Under Windows, the GTX480 seems more stable, but time to time it crashes too, but Windows can handle it and recover the driver. So now I use it in games to compute PhysX :)
In Batman Asylium I have 50% GPU usage for PhyX with GTX 480 and 50% too for other graphics with ATI HD 6870 ^^ I'm waiting for the new Batman game coming in october to take advantage of my creepy dual graphics card system.

You can follow my work here: https://twitter.com/#!/Thireus

Thireus said:
elpopo said:
Thireus said:
Code:
The following cores seem available...
#1:  'CUDA-Device #1 'GeForce GTX 480''
#2:  'OpenCL-Device 'ATI Radeon Barts XT Prototype''
#3:  'CPU-Core (SSE2)'
#4:  'CPU-Core (SSE2)'
#5:  'CPU-Core (SSE2)'
#6:  'CPU-Core (SSE2)'
#7:  'CPU-Core (SSE2)'
#8:  'CPU-Core (SSE2)'

Wow, so you got what I was trying to do in the last month or so without success.
I have two Fermi graphic cards I want to use for opencl development under Lion.
If I leave only one card I get everything working, cuda and opencl using the Netkas method.
With two cards, I use GFX strings to avoid the system hanging on startup, but then with EFI strings, cud a/opencl is not working, not even opencl or hardware acceleration.

How did you get both of them working?

:thumbup:

You have several methods to do it.

First you can use GFX strings with the correct @adresses to the PCI ports and enable both cards, this should work well. You can extract xml informations from the lastest ATY_Init.kext info.plist file of Netkas ;) and build your custom GFX Strings.

Second method is to directly use NetKas ATY_Init.kext, this is the way it works for me :) I have disabled GraphicsEnabler, and ATY_Init.kext injects me everything for me :) it automatically detects the correct PCI ports for me ^^.

Read the full discussion: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... pic=264941

If you use netkas kext, check logs to see if everything is fine with ATY_Init. And if you use EFI Strings, let me know which card you're using and post here what the ioreg displays and I can help you to have both cards injected with explanation ;)

Thanks a lot. It tooks a while to try it as in the meantime I was moving to my original country, but the computer remained in France. Now I am back and I tried with the ATY_init (with the GFX strings I already tried before and everything worked except opencl and QE/CI acceleration.

So with ATY_init everything was recognized (except the exact name of the graphic card, a Tesla C2050, and the memory of the second and third card).
So I added also the third card I use only for the monitor and now I have a working hackintosh in Lion with 2 Tesla C2050 and a Quadro NVS for the monitor.
Opencl working wonderfully, even if in the system information it just put Geforce graphic card and a wrong memory for the second Tesla and the NVS, the opencl benchmark recognize them as Tesla C2050 and everything ok.

Thanks a lot for the hint. I am an happy user now and netkas ATY_init is wonderful!!
:D

WAIT ?!?!? You got TWO cards to work at the same time - in SLI ?!?!? If I'm incorrect please tell me. Thank you... :)

Not in SLI, just 2 Tesla (similar to a 480 but with all doubles and more memory) in two PCI 16e slots and a third NVIDIA Quadro NVS 290 in a third slot (nothing remain empty).

I just follow the advice of Thireus:

- Graphic Enabler = No
- ATY_init.kext of Netkas added in System/Library/Extension

For the rest I have just a plain Lion install, no DSDT, no GFX strings, only the basic kext installed. I updated also to 10.7.1, applied the Netkas patch to enable opencl with Fermi and updated also to the latest Chameleon (but I don't think this was the culprit).

Before, using the Graphic enabler of chameleon it was just crashing adding 2 cards, and with GFX strings no acceleration/opencl.

Re: GTX 480 & 10.6.8 - QE, OpenGL/CL & CUDA Benches

Curious as to why my bench score is seemingly low considering the differences in equipment to the above score.

Any thoughts?

MINE
Screen shot 2011-10-12 at 8.38.32 PM.jpg

ROB154
Screen shot 2011-10-12 at 8.39.20 PM.jpg

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-10-12 at 8.38.32 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2011-10-12 at 8.38.32 PM.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 207
  • Screen shot 2011-10-12 at 8.39.20 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2011-10-12 at 8.39.20 PM.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 216
This is an amazing thread so I'm going to resurrect it for a question. I'm now sold on the GTX 480 however, I can't do liquid cooling as I'm on a budget build for someone. what's the best recommended aftermarket cooler for this card? I'm looking at the Thermalright Shaman, but I'm not entirely sold on it. I'd love to be able to do more digging on my own but I'm on a tight schedule as the sale on the 480 ends tomorrow apparently. Another option is a comparable card I need it for rendering, editing, all the fun things that CUDA is good for. any thoughts/input?

You could go with the Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme Plus VGA Cooler for the GTX 480 GPU:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Arctic-Cooling- ... 500wt_1145

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ARCTIC-COOLING- ... 942wt_1130 (contact newegg to find out if this model will fit the 480 GTX if you don't want to buy the used one above).

or you can go with the Zalman VF3000F (only available here):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VGA-COOLER-Genu ... 3142wt_896

Only 2 available in the Zalman model. Those are the two different models that I would go with if I were to pick a fanned unit for the GTX 480 and NOT the Thermalright Shaman (too clunky and doesn't draw away enough heat by comparison to the other two products I suggested). Hope this helps...

PS - Personally I would still go through the trouble and water cool... :cool:

The Zalman Vf3000f for the GTX 570/580 works on my Zotac GTX 480. It's cheaper than the Arctic and works well for me. 25-30C less under load or idle, than the stock cooler. I was going to buy the Zalman for the 480 off ebay, but I can guarantee it works on my 480. I didn't like the idea of the Arctic and its multiple heatsinks, plus the reviews saying the glue and thermal paste is terrible. The Zalman has a large single heatsink the screws in...done. Although I'm not so good at these type technical adjustments, so that's why it excited me!

1331171917664.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back