Contribute
Register

GTX 4xx Fermi Cards & 10.6.8 - QE, OpenGL/CL & CUDA Benches

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm using 10.6.8 with the newest nVidia drivers on my GT 430 and enjoy its CUDA performance in Premiere Pro. What I ask myself: couldn't we just simply use the 10.6.7 or 10.7 Apple frameworks/kexts to re-enable OpenCL in 10.6.8?

edit: i wouldn't care about OpenCL, if i would not have the following problem: minimizing/maximizing windows in osx looks stuttering/juddering (especially with shift button held down) and flash videos (youtube) are juddering when being played in normal mode. when i watch them in full screen on youtube, there is no juddering.

is this a matter of Open CL or not?

thanks!
tom_bb

okay, i found out this has to do with beam sync and can be solved by disabling beam sync via quartzsimple.app

Explanation of beam sync: http://www.ehow.com/facts_7837154_beam-sync.html

I've attached the tool QuartzSimple, which helps to disable Beam Sync and makes animations (switching between spaces, opening dashboard, minimizing and maximizing windows) less choppy.

Attachments

• QuartzSimple.dmg.zip
    101.5 KB · Views: 103
Rob154 said:
montiniz said:
interesting thing here. I had 10.7 running with Palit gts 450 sonic platinum. Benchmark results were around 25.5 (cpu 1.58). Yesterday upgraded to Palit GTX 460 sli sonic platinum. card recognized, working perfectly, but the cinebench results are exactly the same.

SLI is not working under OS X imho. I haven't tested Cinebench yet but i think 25 fps in Cinebench is okay.

Found a benchmark GTS 450 VS GTX 460: Link

Seems that the GTX 460 is somewhat faster but not that much. Also Cinebench is only a synthetic benchmark and doesn't represent the overall performance. Your CPU ( dual core ) could be limiting the GPU too. It's recommended to use a quad core cpu for "bigger" graphic cards.

thanks for reply. the gtx460 is definetly much faster then the gts 450 and it should be visible atleast a bit in the benches (not the same exact score). what i did now, i overclocked my cpu from 2.8 to 3.5, got a really nice increase in cinebench from 25fps to 30.5(1.6 to 1.9)

Hey,
I have GTX480 (Asus) fully working on 10. 7. Lion

FYI I tried the Linux proprietary driver in my Fedora boot but it turned out to be just as flawed as the Mac OS driver in terms of OpenGL performance. So Linux isnt doing any better there and Windows is just not an option I consider anymore.

Re: GTX 480 & 10.6.8 - QE, OpenGL/CL & CUDA Benches

Rob154 said:
Nice, got mine working too ( GTX 480 Zotac AMP ).
nova.png

model?? link in newegg, works all??

Re: GTX 480 & 10.6.8 - QE, OpenGL/CL & CUDA Benches

jpa said:
great, works all 480, or problems in Lion?

Hey JPA,

Seems like you still have a question mark there... I would say this, if you are going to purchase anything I would purchase the one that I have (EVGA GTX 480 Superclocked), or any of the EVGA GTX 480's...

I'm telling you, the drivers that are in Lion 10.7 NOW make the 480 (and from what I'm hearing and reading EVEN the GTX 5XX series) working fine now. But WHY pay TOP $$$ for a GTX 580 when you can get a used 480 and clock it higher and either put a Dual or Triple fan on there or better yet WATERCOOL the bad boy and it will perform the same as a GTX 5XX card. That Zotac 480 is probably a Dual fanned card and that Dual Fan is made by Zalman (and you can get one on ebay for $30 to $40 new).

Plus, the 480's are compatible with the Gigabyte Mobos. Also, as I mentioned before, I wouldn't use the sleep function files that are circulating out there (if anyones thinking about it) as there are too many mixed thoughts on the successes and failures with that function. Hope this helps JPA... Check your PM when you have a moment as I sent you a couple... Later... :)

thanks for info

Very good success! :clap:

Dual GTX 480 + HD6870 :

ATI_6870_Nvidia_GTX480_Thireus_Lion_10.7.png

Do I deserve success too?

Code:
imac-de-thireus:release thireus$ pyrit list_cores
Pyrit 0.4.1-dev (svn r308) (C) 2008-2011 Lukas Lueg [url]http://pyrit.googlecode.com[/url]
This code is distributed under the GNU General Public License v3+

The following cores seem available...
#1:  'CUDA-Device #1 'GeForce GTX 480''
#2:  'OpenCL-Device 'ATI Radeon Barts XT Prototype''
#3:  'CPU-Core (SSE2)'
#4:  'CPU-Core (SSE2)'
#5:  'CPU-Core (SSE2)'
#6:  'CPU-Core (SSE2)'
#7:  'CPU-Core (SSE2)'
#8:  'CPU-Core (SSE2)'
imac-de-thireus:release thireus$ pyrit benchmark
Pyrit 0.4.1-dev (svn r308) (C) 2008-2011 Lukas Lueg [url]http://pyrit.googlecode.com[/url]
This code is distributed under the GNU General Public License v3+

Running benchmark (55122.2 PMKs/s)... \ 

Computed 55122.22 PMKs/s total.
#1: 'CUDA-Device #1 'GeForce GTX 480'': 26791.0 PMKs/s (RTT 2.9)
#2: 'OpenCL-Device 'ATI Radeon Barts XT Prototype'': 30197.0 PMKs/s (RTT 2.9)
#3: 'CPU-Core (SSE2)': 578.0 PMKs/s (RTT 3.0)
#4: 'CPU-Core (SSE2)': 583.6 PMKs/s (RTT 2.9)
#5: 'CPU-Core (SSE2)': 561.6 PMKs/s (RTT 2.9)
#6: 'CPU-Core (SSE2)': 547.7 PMKs/s (RTT 3.1)
#7: 'CPU-Core (SSE2)': 543.3 PMKs/s (RTT 2.9)
#8: 'CPU-Core (SSE2)': 519.6 PMKs/s (RTT 2.8)

Thireus said:
Code:
The following cores seem available...
#1:  'CUDA-Device #1 'GeForce GTX 480''
#2:  'OpenCL-Device 'ATI Radeon Barts XT Prototype''
#3:  'CPU-Core (SSE2)'
#4:  'CPU-Core (SSE2)'
#5:  'CPU-Core (SSE2)'
#6:  'CPU-Core (SSE2)'
#7:  'CPU-Core (SSE2)'
#8:  'CPU-Core (SSE2)'

Wow, so you got what I was trying to do in the last month or so without success.
I have two Fermi graphic cards I want to use for opencl development under Lion.
If I leave only one card I get everything working, cuda and opencl using the Netkas method.
With two cards, I use GFX strings to avoid the system hanging on startup, but then with EFI strings, cud a/opencl is not working, not even opencl or hardware acceleration.

How did you get both of them working?

:thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back