Contribute
Register

GTX 4xx Fermi Cards & 10.6.8 - QE, OpenGL/CL & CUDA Benches

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see both your points of view, but it is conflicting, which one to I lean towards using when I install this card to get the most and proper performance I can from CUDA, Mercury and OpenGL? I wish I could use a combo of both but that's not possible. You both have your points though that make your card work. My thing is since I have a 480 and not a 470 card I'm wondering if I should try Thi's first. to see if it will work first. Then if it doesn't then Khan's way...

Not conflicting. Both point of view are a different approach to do the same thing. There's nothing related to performances here.

Quick News.

First freeze after 72h uptime, some files are now corrupted. I'm done. Gonna try to switch on Lion or build a new config without NVidia.

Gonna try to switch on Lion or build a new config without NVidia.

Hey Thi,

Knowing you, you're probably are going to build this config on your own. You know you can't wait !!! Cause you're too cool like that... :cool:

Yes :p but I keep my GTX 480 ^^ I tested it in another computer and it works fine. I think this is my motherboard that is causing these issues... So I'm gonna build a new config, and install Lion on it ;)

New build:

Code:
CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K
Motherboard: Asus SABERTOOTH P67 Rev 3.0
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
RAM: G.Skill Kit Extreme3 2 x 4 Go PC15000 Sniper CAS 9
GPU Cooler: Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme Plus
Case: Lian Li Lancool First Knight PC-K63

Already have:

Code:
PSU: OCZ Z-Series 1000W 80 Plus Gold Modular
GPU: ENGTX 480

Hope the Arctic Cooling will do its job very well for the 480 GTX.

Hola,

just updated to Lion via second installer partition. No problems or Kernel-Panics at this time. Need to check the GPU after removing the Kernel-Flags.

That's great Rob !!!

I'm having issues though. I installed and got 10.6.8 running up and fine to install 10.7 but after it downloaded it it froze and then I restarted and now I can't find the installer for 10.7. I know it's there as my SSD is lower in GB space and I went on the the Apple App store and it says it's installed. But where is it so I can install it? Thanks for your help or anyone else that can help... :)

BTW Rob, do you have Skype? Let me know...

If you installed Lion by the downloaded Installer, it's gone. You have to redownload the Installer again. I burned a DVD from the installer to be save ;)

i posted a new topic about gtx 460 but didn't get any help, so trying over her.
cut/paste:
interesting thing here. I had 10.7 running with Palit gts 450 sonic platinum. Benchmark results were around 25.5 (cpu 1.58). Yesterday upgraded to Palit GTX 460 sli sonic platinum. card recognized, working perfectly, but the cinebench results are exactly the same.
i'm running Gigabyte ep43-ud3l, core 2 duo e7400 2.8Ghz, 4GbRam, macpro4.1, agpm working,chameleon2RC5,dsdt.
isn't there supposed to be an improvement in the scores?

btw no fermi freezes since upgraded to 10.7 :headbang:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-07-24 at 12.55.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-07-24 at 12.55.43 PM.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 201
  • Screen Shot 2011-07-24 at 12.55.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-07-24 at 12.55.57 PM.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 194
  • Screen Shot 2011-07-24 at 12.58.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-07-24 at 12.58.15 PM.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 208
It can't be gone, it's on my SSD somewhere, because the amount of gigabyte space on my drive is about 4 GB less than it was before. I had 45 GB, now I have 41 GB of space. Also, I went back onto the App Store and found that it says it has been installed. I tried to double-click on it and nothing. So it looks like it won't let me reinstall it for whatever reason. Can you help me with this? Thank you…

To redownload:

found on macrumors.com

Launch the App Store
While holding down the OPTION key, click on the “Purchases” section
You should see “OS X Lion” and “Install” should now be gray and you can click that to re-download Lion (you may have to re-authenticate within the App Store with your Apple ID).

montiniz said:
interesting thing here. I had 10.7 running with Palit gts 450 sonic platinum. Benchmark results were around 25.5 (cpu 1.58). Yesterday upgraded to Palit GTX 460 sli sonic platinum. card recognized, working perfectly, but the cinebench results are exactly the same.

SLI is not working under OS X imho. I haven't tested Cinebench yet but i think 25 fps in Cinebench is okay.

Found a benchmark GTS 450 VS GTX 460: Link

Seems that the GTX 460 is somewhat faster but not that much. Also Cinebench is only a synthetic benchmark and doesn't represent the overall performance. Your CPU ( dual core ) could be limiting the GPU too. It's recommended to use a quad core cpu for "bigger" graphic cards.

Ok, so I installed Lion and there is no boost in performance in terms of better dealing with OpenGL ... Where is what was supposed to be a part of this release? I have waited for this really patiently...
OpenGL still sucks on 10.7 with GTX480

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back