Contribute
Register

GTX 1060 performance on 10.13 High Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks man. Yeah I had found that site myself. I suppose I just don't understand what 'shikigva=12' or =60 or =48 etc... mean.

If you look at the link I left in my previous post, there are explanations for all the ones listed there. You can also read through the release notes on the different releases of Shki.kext for more explanations.
Releases · vit9696/Shiki · GitHub

Been playing a bit with my 1070 TI again, for a bit almost thought it was fixed. Somehow it seems better but it's still there and it takes a while to start showing up in the UI. It's not enough to really impact benchmarks.
The zip contains a video of water webgl, the problem is very visible, especially in the last half when just the water is moving. It's curious how periodic it is, at times the interval between stutters seems the same repeatedly.
You should also notice really long pauses in the window resize (partly "off screen" unfortunately).

Attachments

• 2018-01-12 10-46-08.zip
    14.7 MB · Views: 71
  • Screen Shot 2018-01-11 at 7.34.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-01-11 at 7.34.03 PM.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 201
Personally, I would use a system definition that best matches your CPU which is iMac17,1. The iMac14,2 system definition is a lowest common denominator system definition that works to get everyone up and through the installation process. On the hacks that I've put together, I also enable the IGPUs in "headless" configurations to better mimic real iMacs.

The closer your hardware and configurations are to real Macs, the better things will behave. The further you deviate from them, the more problems you should expect.

Also, the latest versions of Lilu.kext, NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext, and Shiki.kext when working together with the proper Boot-args make things run much better. I have "shikigva=60".

If/when you ever put your Nvidia card back in there, give these changes a shot.

Totally agreed. I had to use 14,2 for a short period because didn't want to run AGDPfix.

Now switched to 17,1, which matches the Skylake SMBIOS and enabled iGPU again and set it to "Multi-monitor".

Then ran AGDPfix to fix the 2nd monitor output which went to black without this patch on 17,1 with the RX560.

Added Shiki.kext but haven't added any args yet.

All running smooth like a real iMac.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-01-12 at 11.03.34 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-01-12 at 11.03.34 AM.png
    170.6 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
Totally agreed. I had to use 14,2 for a short period because didn't want to run AGDPfix.

Now switched to 17,1, which matches the Skylake SMBIOS and enabled iGPU again and set it to "Multi-monitor".

Then ran AGDPfix to fix the 2nd monitor output which went to black without this patch on 17,1 with the RX560.

Added Shiki.kext but haven't added any args yet.

All running smooth like a real iMac.

When I still had my Z170 system with Kaby Lake CPU, I used NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext instead of AGDPfix with very good results.

When I still had my Z170 system with Kaby Lake CPU, I used NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext instead of AGDPfix with very good results.

That's great to know. Thank you. I will try that.

I'm about to move to x299 so no iGPU, hopefully I can use the iMac Pro 1,1 SMBIOS. I don't know if I'll keep the RX560 for that system, probably need something higher end.

So I made the mistake of putting the original kext back and restarted (forgretting to rebuild the kext cache).

Now I'm stuck.

Shouldn't have done this!

I'm able to boot on my backup SSD no problem but cant kextcache -i /Volume/MacSSD...:\

So I made the mistake of putting the original kext back and restarted (forgretting to rebuild the kext cache).

Now I'm stuck.

Shouldn't have done this!

I'm able to boot on my backup SSD no problem but cant kextcache -i /Volume/MacSSD...:\

It looks right to me... Did you use sudo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back