Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> GPU for 4K editing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tried the dummy141 kext too, at first it rebooted 2 times, then it booted to desktop but the video playback is still lagging. :(

Try reducing the FPS really more frames then 60 is pointless unless viewing on 120hz monitor. But you might just need a CPU/motherboard/Memory upgrade. What does your activity monitor look like when you are trying to run this?

Try reducing the FPS really more frames then 60 is pointless unless viewing on 120hz monitor. But you might just need a CPU/motherboard/Memory upgrade. What does your activity monitor look like when you are trying to run this?

Gopro 1080P @60FPS works fine but 2.7K and 4K have too much lag... By the way sometimes I need higher FPS videos for slow motion... Otherwise I shoot @ 30/60 FPS only

%CPU goes up to around 490 and Memory goes up to 390 during playback.

(Just for the information 4K videos shot with DJI Mavic Air and DJI Mavic Pro 2 are playing smoothly)

Screenshot 2019-12-13 at 3.36.16 PM.png

Screenshot 2019-12-13 at 3.35.52 PM.png

Gopro 1080P @60FPS works fine but 2.7K and 4K have too much lag... By the way sometimes I need higher FPS videos for slow motion... Otherwise I shoot @ 30/60 FPS only

(Just for the information 4K videos shot with DJI Mavic Air and DJI Mavic Pro 2 are playing smoothly)

So looks like what ever the Gopro is encoding in is smoking your CPU, and it is not even touching the GPU. I am guessing that your playback app does not use the GPU, it also likely is not using the hyper threads but that would be expected. Your memory however, looks fine at least for what you are doing.

View attachment 440229

View attachment 440230

So looks like what ever the Gopro is encoding in is smoking your CPU, and it is not even touching the GPU. I am guessing that your playback app does not use the GPU, it also likely is not using the hyper threads but that would be expected. Your memory however, looks fine at least for what you are doing.

Yeah, if IINA is using so much CPU, that's a sign that GPU is not being used.

Try installing one of the dummy kexts... There are a few of them floating around. This one worked for my RX 560.

with this Kext %CPU dropped to 12 for VLC app and all the videos are working fine, but with IINA app its still the same (Is there a way to force the IINA app to use GPU ?)

Thanks guys

with this Kext %CPU dropped to 12 for VLC app and all the videos are working fine, but with IINA app its still the same (Is there a way to force the IINA app to use GPU ?)

Thanks guys

Maybe that app only knows how to use software encoding/decoding meaning it uses your CPU to do encoding/decoding. instead of the DGPU or the IGPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back