Contribute
Register

GMYLE USB3 Expresscard34 in 10.9 (17" Early 2011 MBP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Fractal Node 304
CPU
i7-4770K
Graphics
GTX 770
My USB3 GMYLE card worked fine in Mountain Lion 10.8, but it's not working any more in Mavericks. I've used the 10.9 Multibeast installer and installed the USB3 drivers, but still no dice. Does anyone have any idea how to fix this, or have another source for drivers that will work?

Google GenericUSBXHCI.kext v 1.2.7, dated Oct. 27

Good luck

I actually ended up doing some research, and I found that 10.8 and 10.9 work flawlessly with the Intel Fresco USB3 chipset. So I searched around and found this USB3 to Expresscard34 adapter that uses the Fresco FL1100 chipset, so it should just work natively in 10.9 with no extra drivers needed.

The new top comment on the GMYLE page says that the GMYLE card uses Fresco, but I'm absolutely positive that's not the case, since it doesn't work with my MacBook Pro 2011 any more.

I should be getting the AKE Express Fresco card very soon (it had slow shipping, and I ordered it about a week and a half ago), so I'll report back here when I find out if it indeed works out of the box.

I finally received the Fresco FL1100 card for my MacBoo Pro. I plugged it in, powered it with the included USB -> DC power barrel connector, and it instantly recognized my USB3 drives. No drivers needed, and the speeds are native USB3, not the slower speeds I was seeing with the GMYLE card. I also haven't had any disconnect errors like I did with the GMYLE card, since the hub is powered via one of my USB2 ports.

Since this card has 4 USB3 ports, I don't mourn the loss of one USB2 port to power it at all. Yes, it's much larger than the flush-fitting GMYLE card, but I'm not constantly using this thing, so its added bulk is well worth the performance I'm getting from it.

I transferred 200GB of data from a portable 1.5TB WD My Passport to a 3TB External (AC/DC powered) WD drive - both USB3 - and the entire 200GB transfer took only 36 minutes. Quite incredible! Since my handbrake encoding times are similar to 2013 machines, I feel that with USB3, my laptop is now just as capable as the current-generation laptops.

If a lot of people are interested, since the shipping from Shenzhen takes so long, I'm considering buying up a bunch of these and then shipping them to Amazon to be fulfilled by Amazon and shipped with Prime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back