Graphics
GeForce GT 640
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Got Yosemite installed on my rig, thought I'd share what happened.

First time I made the flash drive with Unibeast the stick wouldn't load up and said it couldn't find the mach_kernel.

Tried making the stick again and it worked like a charm.

Booted into the OS and everything seemed fine besides the usual (audio, etc.)

Ran Multibeast and installed my audio and ethernet kexts. (ALXEthernet)

When the system rebooted it hung on a white screen after the Apple logo with the cursor in the top left hand corner of the screen.

-f and -s commands gave me the mach_kernel error. I was able to boot into safe mode with -x.

I removed the ethernet kext and rebooted. It appeared it work, but the system is frozen after the desktop loads up.

Now upon trying safe mode again I get the mach_kernel error :/

Thinking I might just have to wait on Yosemite for a while...

Tried booting off USB, and still getting white screen with cursor. Going to try a fresh install I guess :( It's a huge hassle because my time machine back up takes hours to transfer to the fresh install.

Okay so for giggles I tried to boot normally and the system loaded up fine... lol.

I ran multibeast again, loaded everything I needed except for ethernet.

Shut down and restarted. I believe my issues were being caused by chimera 4.0 not being installed the first time I ran multibeast because I noticed this time around that the look of the bootloader actually changed this time to match the unibeast stick I made. The machine seems to be booting into my HDD from the HDD fine now. Sound is also working.

Hi mate,

I'm using the same mobo (DS3H) and running mavericks without any issues.
So to install Yosemite it's as easy as creating a Unibeast usb drive? afterwards installing chimera and ethernet kext? Did you have to perform extra steps or was it the same as with a mavericks USB install?
I know my audio will be fine since it's a firewire interface but I don't know if my GTX760 will run out of the box, it does now though.

Thanks in advance

Not sure about your graphics, be weary of installing ethernet as it appeared to cause issues for me at first (could be unrelated though)

And yes it's pretty much the same process as before, just use the newest Unibeast to make your flash drive and then install and run Multibeast after you've successfully installed Yosemite.

Hi mate,

I'm using the same mobo (DS3H) and running mavericks without any issues.
So to install Yosemite it's as easy as creating a Unibeast usb drive? afterwards installing chimera and ethernet kext? Did you have to perform extra steps or was it the same as with a mavericks USB install?
I know my audio will be fine since it's a firewire interface but I don't know if my GTX760 will run out of the box, it does now though.

Thanks in advance

Same board here. Everything working apart from iMessage :)

Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated :thumbup:

I believe my issues were being caused by chimera 4.0 not being installed the first time I ran multibeast because I noticed this time around that the look of the bootloader actually changed this time to match the unibeast stick I made.

This may have be my issue. Thanks for sharing your experience. I just installed chimera 4.0 myself using the pkg to make sure...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back