Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z690 Aero G + i5-12600K + AMD RX 6800 XT

What are you compiling it with and what case/setup?
I was able to get the heat issues under control. I was using a modified 2012 Mac Pro case. It just could not handle the heat even with three case fans. Went back to my big Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X case with 4-140mm case fans. The cpu cooler is a DeepCool AK620 High-Performance CPU Cooler, which can handle up to 5500 but not at 5800. I guess a liquid cooler is in order.

As for sleep, I did not have sleep issues with the z790 Aero G with the i7-13700KF but with the i9 I had the same problem as many other people have posted about. First sleep is fine. Second sleep may or may not work. When it does go to sleep it will wake up the fans but the screen remains black and the fans get noisy. You need to shut down. After trying everything on this forum to fix sleep to no avail, I started by eliminating kexts. After trial and error I eliminated the two CPU Friend kexts and sleep is working normally. I've been testing for two days. The other thing I noticed is that CPU temperature is running lower. Transparency here, I have no real understanding of what the CPU friend kexts do but I have not noticed any other issues. Maybe for those that still have the sleep issues this may be a solution. I would like CaseySJ to chime in on this.

Last edited:
I was able to get the heat issues under control. I was using a modified 2012 Mac Pro case. It just could not handle the heat even with three case fans. Went back to my big Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X case with 4-140mm case fans. The cpu cooler is a DeepCool AK620 High-Performance CPU Cooler, which can handle up to 5500 but not at 5800. I guess a liquid cooler is in order.

As for sleep, I did not have sleep issues with the z790 Aero G with the i7-13700KF but with the i9 I had the same problem as many other people have posted about. First sleep is fine. Second sleep may or may not work. When it does go to sleep it will wake up the fans but the screen remains black and the fans get noisy. You need to shut down. After trying everything on this forum to fix sleep to no avail, I started by eliminating kexts. After trial and error I eliminated the two CPU Friend kexts and sleep is working normally. I've been testing for two days. The other thing I noticed is that CPU temperature is running lower. Transparency here, I have no real understanding of what the CPU friend kexts do but I have not noticed any other issues. Maybe for those that still have the sleep issues this may be a solution. I would like CaseySJ to chime in on this.
I finally looked up cpufriend, and now I understand why it broke sleep and raised my CPU temp on the i9.

Please see this note at the top of Post 1:

View attachment 565415
Yup, did that. I did when I was on Monterey. Had to shuffle the order of the kexts loading before I got bluetooth to be stable in Monterey, but it worked great. Unfortunately, Ventura is really. I take it the only thing needed to do is to use the Ventura kext instead of the Monterey kext to make it work?
Screenshot 2023-04-04 at 8.49.14 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-04-04 at 8.29.31 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-04-04 at 8.30.17 PM.png

Last edited:
Yup, did that. I did when I was on Monterey. Had to shuffle the order of the kexts loading before I got bluetooth to be stable in Monterey, but it worked great. Unfortunately, Ventura is really. I take it the only thing needed to do is to use the Ventura kext instead of the Monterey kext to make it work?
The OpenCore configuration looks fine.
  1. What is the make/model of your WiFi/BT module?
  2. Which version of macOS are you running?

Please tell us what you learned.
Not enough to fix it. It fixes CPU management but it can adversely affect sleep.

On OPEN Core Website: "In most cases, the native CPU power management data shipped with macOS work out of the box. If you're experiencing issues, changing your SMBIOS to something more appropriate to your system will provide different data and may be better for your use. In the cases where manual tuning is required, you can use CPUFriend to inject modified power management data, but if you don't know what you're doing, you can severely break power management." Note the problem is that Apple does not support the gen 12 or 13 Intel CPU thus CPUFriend.

Evidently caseySJ's EFI with cpufriend works fine for the i7-12700k series or the i7-13700 series but it fails with the i9-13900k. It causes, in my case, all sorts of sleep issues which I did not have with the i7-1300KF. If you remove cpufriend with the i9 in a z790 Aero G (macPro 7,1), sleep works perfectly, however, the upper and lower frequency of the cpu don't work properly. Geekbench 5 scores for single and multi core are halved. If you switch to iMac Pro 1,1, cpu performance is fine but sleep breaks again.

I have been looking for a CPUFrienddataprovider kext for the i9-13900k but i can't find one so I am trying to learn how to create one myself but i'm a newbie when it comes to this kind of modification.

The OpenCore configuration looks fine.
  1. What is the make/model of your WiFi/BT module?
  2. Which version of macOS are you running?
I'm using the AX201 chip that came with the motherboard and using the same big white antenna that came in the box as well. Range is great when using Windows, and was a little worse in Mac OS Monterey when it worked.

I'm now running Mac OS 13.3 (recently updated from 13.2). Neither versions of Ventura (13.2 or 13.3) have worked, unfortunately. It's especially weird since I can find other devices to connect to, but NOTHING will actually connect, ie; a keyboard, it should give me the option to type in a 6 digit number, but nothing happens. Turning off bluetooth and turning it back on in Mac OS messes it up even more; it doesn't turn back on.

I'm using the AX201 chip that came with the motherboard and using the same big white antenna that came in the box as well. Range is great when using Windows, and was a little worse in Mac OS Monterey when it worked.

I'm now running Mac OS 13.3 (recently updated from 13.2). Neither versions of Ventura (13.2 or 13.3) have worked, unfortunately. It's especially weird since I can find other devices to connect to, but NOTHING will actually connect, ie; a keyboard, it should give me the option to type in a 6 digit number, but nothing happens. Turning off bluetooth and turning it back on in Mac OS messes it up even more; it doesn't turn back on.
Is AppleVTD enabled?

Update: After looking at an archive of my Z690 Aero G, I stand corrected: This system does not need the new OpenCore.efi because its native DMAR has no Reserved Memory Regions.

Last edited:

I have been looking for a CPUFrienddataprovider kext for the i9-13900k but i can't find one so I am trying to learn how to create one myself but i'm a newbie when it comes to this kind of modification.
Is this one worth trying?

Is this one worth trying?

I did try it but sleep is still bad. Thanks for for trying.

I'm finding out a lot about the i9-13900K. You really need to limit the power ceiling in BIOS. Without a limit, it hits 300 watts and 100 degrees using the intel gadget to monitor. I limited PPL1 and 2 to 200 watts. No effect on bench scores but it does keep the temperature under control. With Geekbench 5 it hits the hi 80s. i have a DeepCool AK620 High-Performance CPU Cooler and an order in for the DeepCool Liquid Cooler LT720 360mm. In my correspondence with DeepCool I asked if the LT720 can handle the i9. Their response was that with uncontrolled i9-13900k it could not handle the i9 unless you under volt or lower the power limits since the mother board manufactures are really pushing the i9 to its limits. Otherwise, you would need a 410MM liquid air cooler.

Back