Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z690 Aero G + i5-12600K + AMD RX 6800 XT

If you have not noticed the lock down since then you are not looking. All the secure boot, kernel, the extensions. The list goes on and on we get away with it now because it is not required on Intel and similar hardware the AMD included. Those chips are just a variant of an Intel instruction set with some developed by AMD put back into Intel designs with the cross licensing they have. With a lot of the chip sets on both boards containing identical features allowing them to run without major problems. The game changes once it is ARM only as Apple has the only hardware to run it, any attempt to design a compatible board will be sued out of existence. Firstly you need compatible video on the mythical ARM board so the Apple drivers will load, then the processor design again the list goes on. Oh and once they turn on the digital locks it is jail time for circumventing the digital protection, lets see the developers wanting to go to prison to run Apple software on their hardware. Somehow I do not see it.

Reasonable minds can agree to disagree. :)

I don’t know how they do it! Really wish we had one in Silicon Valley.

There used to be a Micro Center in Santa Clara near Great America parkway, like 10 years ago, I think. So I guess that ship has sailed? Although one of the yelp reviews says they claim they lost their lease vs. just exiting the market.

Until Apple releases a new Mac with a hybrid Intel processor inside (which is unlikely to ever happen given the transition away from Intel…) macOS will not intelligently schedule threads on the different x86 architectures. It will just use whatever core is available for a given task.

I mean, is this truly a given? I can imagine there might be some ACPI data structure that describes a processor as "big" or "little" that OSX might be looking at to determine the attributes of the processors for purposes of scheduling.

Apple, of course, can do whatever they want on the ARM processors, and so maybe it just doesn't work this way. But Windows probably needs this kind of info so it might at least be a possibility that the BIOS can provide it.

Dumb question about the latest ProvideCpuInfo quirk enabling all the P and E cores - does the latest version of Monterey then understand which cores are P and which are E and schedule accordingly? Or is it still randomly scheduling threads onto processors?
In addition to macOS for Intel not having any code related to big and small cores (ARM/AppleSilicon only), ProvideCurrentCpuInfo works by declaring the number of threads as the number of cores, so, with this quirk enabled, I assume that macOS no longer makes a difference between real cores and hyperthreads on P-cores.
MacOS on Alder Lake is in the same league as Windows 10: Suboptimal scheduling—except that Windows 11 will not come.

Last edited:
Air cooler > Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition CPU Air Cooler
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H25DYM3

Note: Order is due on Monday. It probably doesn't have an LGA 1700 mounting in the box. But, I read at Cooler Master's web site I can get the LGA 1700 hardware. So stay tuned for film at 11! :D
@Stork did you get LGA 1700 KIT? CM online store closed.

Just for your information: if anybody is looking for an AIO watercooler (if sufficient space is available), you may check out Alphacool stuff:
1. it is available even without rainbow puke !
2. most of their stuff is already LGA 1700 compatible,because their backplate is quite flexible and made to support INTEL and AMD...you eventually need to use the washers from the AMD kit, just check their forum...

Last edited:
There used to be a Micro Center in Santa Clara near Great America parkway, like 10 years ago, I think. So I guess that ship has sailed? Although one of the yelp reviews says they claim they lost their lease vs. just exiting the market.
There are lots of empty Fry's buildings that could be turned into MicroCenters. Oh well...

Don’t forget the Hackintosh community found a way around DSMOS.kext. If it ( running macOS on non Apple hardware) could be done on x86, I don’t see why it wouldn’t also be done on ARM. All we need is the hardware. Also, macOS runs on Ryzen, despite the fact that apple never released a Ryzentosh. Where there’s a will, there’s a way.

If you have not noticed the lock down since then you are not looking. All the secure boot, kernel, the extensions. The list goes on and on we get away with it now because it is not required on Intel and similar hardware the AMD included. Those chips are just a variant of an Intel instruction set with some developed by AMD put back into Intel designs with the cross licensing they have. With a lot of the chip sets on both boards containing identical features allowing them to run without major problems. The game changes once it is ARM only as Apple has the only hardware to run it, any attempt to design a compatible board will be sued out of existence. Firstly you need compatible video on the mythical ARM board so the Apple drivers will load, then the processor design again the list goes on. Oh and once they turn on the digital locks it is jail time for circumventing the digital protection, lets see the developers wanting to go to prison to run Apple software on their hardware. Somehow I do not see it.
Both of these are good arguments. I'm an optimist by nature, but I also sense that ARM-based Macs may be very difficult to hack. But never say never. Let's just see how the future unfolds. Meanwhile we can still enjoy Alder Lake hacks and wait to see what the new iMac Pro and Mac Pro look like.

@dehjomz and I (and @Stork) already have M1 Pro/M1 Max MacBook Pros. We have a foot in each camp and are cheering for both sides.

With that said, let's get back on topic... :)

There are lots of empty Fry's buildings that could be turned into MicroCenters. Oh well...

Over here (UK) we know not of such amazing emporia. We now only have but one chain of any size. Amazon seems to win almost by default ... :rolleyes:

In addition to macOS for Intel not having any code related to big and small cores (ARM/AppleSilicon only), ProvideCurrentCpuInfo works by declaring the number of threads as the number of cores, so, with this quirk enabled, I assume that macOS no longer makes a difference between real cores and hyperthreads on P-cores.
MacOS on Alder Lake is in the same league as Windows 10: Suboptimal scheduling—except that Windows 11 will not come.

That makes sense. I can see how anyone would probably #ifdef out that code if there were no underlying support. There's a story in MR today that new Intel Mac Pros are coming, but likely those wouldn't have big.LITTLE architecture so maybe we'll never see the code in the x86-64 code base.

And, if this quirk just tells the OS that there are X threads, then I can see how it couldn't interact with any such code if it existed.

Back