Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z690 Aero G + i5-12600K + AMD RX 6800 XT

@CaseySJ

I'm another "mad scientist" attempting to use your guide to install Monterey via its installer.:)

My build:

Z690 Aero G
Intel i7-12700K
WD Black SN750
Noctua NH-U125
AMD RX-580
32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600

I set up the Monterey USB installer per the instructions in Post 1.
On the initial boot of the build I upgraded to BIOS F4.
I went through the BIOS setup as per your instructions. I ran into problems getting to the OC picker. I finally found that my memory with XMP1 set went into a BIOS loop. I had to clear the BIOS and start over. (I'll have to investigate if the memory is on the GB approved list -- I thought it was when it was purchased.)

When I finally got things in BIOS setup properly, including the CPU cores stuff, I got to the OC picker and selected the USB Monterey installer. With verbose I could never get past the first five seconds before the installer would halt. I never got the installer to work.

Since I had an external SSD in a USB housing containing a bootable Monterey clone of my Z390 Designare, I installed the OC-075DBG-Z690-V4.zip EFI from the Z690 Chipset and Alder Lake CPUs forum. When I selected that EFI and booted the external SSD/USB it booted to Monterey without a problem.

I then formatted the WD Black SN750 SSD, and cloned Monterey from the external SSD/USB drive. I copied the EFI from OC-075DBG-Z690-V4 to the drive. Rebooting to the WD Black worked fine with that EFI (OC 0.7.5, MacPro7,1).

I then decided to try again using the CaseySJ EFI (OC 0.7.6, MacPro7,1) from this thread. That was also successful booting the newly installed Monterey on the WD Black internal SSD.

Even though I haven't been able to get the Monterey USB installer to work, I do have a workable Z690 Aero G running Monterey. I have a GC-Titan Ridge flashed card that I will install at some point. I also have the Mac-compatible WiFi card specified in Post 1 that I plan to install.

Let me know if I can run any more experiments, or provide other information.

I continue to be confused with how CPUFriend functions -- with different CPU models, and MacPro7,1 vs iMacPro1,1.

@NCMacGuy, Please check if one cycle wake/sleep happens to Asus board too? I think we have to confirm if it is common problem of Z690 or just Gigabytes boards.

In BIOS, is Resizable BAR Support enabled?
  • If it's enabled, set ResizeAppleGpuBar to 0 in Booter section only, otherwise boot will fail.
  • Alternatively, disable Resizable BAR Support in BIOS and try booting the installer.
Also, are you using a dock of some sort?
@CaseySJ

I just changed the ResizeAppleGpuBar to 0 in the EFI on my Monterey installer USB and it is now in the process of installing. Will report back if it finishes installing.

EDIT: The installer seems to have stalled on the first reboot to the macOS Installer drive. Progress bar is about 1/3 across with "29 minutes remaining..." and counting down, but the CPU fan seems to be recycling up and down at that point. I've tried both EFIs and both act the same. Also changed the SecureBootModel from Disabled to Default without any change.

Next step is to rebuild the Monterey installer on the USB and see if that the problem.

Last edited:
Update:
  • The EFI ZIP in Post 1 is okay.
  • If Resizable BAR Support is enabled in BIOS, we must set ResizeAppleGpuBars to 0 in the Booter section of config.plist.
  • STEP 4 of the guide (Post 1) has been updated to emphasize this point.
I apologize for the delayed response.

I am not using a dock. Keyboard and mouse (wired) together with the Fenvi card are the only USB items in use.

I have verified that Resizeable GPU Bars is set to 0 and have disabled Resizable Bar Support, prior to contacting you about this issue.

I have also prepared and attempted a Big Sur Flash drive with the very same results.

I have replaced the RX6800 XT with a RX 6600XT. No success.

I should point out that I am using a regular SSD rather than a NVMe for the time being.

I have and will recheck all the BIOS settings again.

Tony

@NCMacGuy, Please check if one cycle wake/sleep happens to Asus board too? I think we have to confirm if it is common problem of Z690 or just Gigabytes boards.
@eos1d3

I have a GB Z690 Aero that suffers the same reboot on the second sleep/wake.

I have replaced the RX6800 XT with a RX 6600XT. No success.
Did you use Monterey 12.1 beta? Only 12.1 works as I know.

When I finally got things in BIOS setup properly, including the CPU cores stuff, I got to the OC picker and selected the USB Monterey installer. With verbose I could never get past the first five seconds before the installer would halt. I never got the installer to work.

Let me know if I can run any more experiments, or provide other information.

Because you and @tonben are facing similar issues, let's try to get figure it out.
  • I just tested the EFI V2 as reported in my previous post, and I am able to run the Monterey installer with no problems at all. But Resizeable BAR Support must be disabled in BIOS because I left ResizeAppleGpuBars at -1.
  • I'm using a Samsung 32GB Bar Plus USB 3.0 flash drive connected to either the Red or Blue USB 3.x port on the rear IO panel.
  • The Monterey installer starts up each time within 1 minute!
Some things to try:
  • Disable Resizable BAR Support in BIOS
  • Disable Internal Graphics in BIOS
  • Disable NVMeFix.kext in config.plist --> Kernel
Does the Monterey installer boot up?

EDIT:
  • I see that the Monterey installer did start, but installation seemed to hang after the first reboot.
  • Let me try that step also.

Last edited:
I should point out that I am using a regular SSD rather than a NVMe for the time being.
Is the SATA SSD installed internally (via one of the 6 SATA ports)?
  • Incidentally, I'm using a WD SN850 PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD installed in the 2nd slot: M2P_SB.
  • Fenvi FV-T919 is installed in the bottom long slot.
  • GC-Maple Ridge is in the middle long slot.

Last edited:
FYI…

Currently installing fresh copy of Monterey on SATA SSD connected via USB 3 external enclosure.

First reboot has taken place and 21 minutes remaining.

Using EFI zip V2 from Post 1 with ResizeAppleGpuBars set to 0 because Resizable BAR Support is enabled in BIOS.

I used the pop-up menu in OpenCore Configurator to select new serial numbers. Still using Mac Pro 7,1.

OpenCore Configurator is set to 0.7.6 Development Mode.

Using HDMI port on RX 6800 XT.

UPDATE 1: Second reboot has taken place.

UPDATE 2: Third reboot has taken place.

UPDATE 3: Forth reboot has taken place.

UPDATE 4: Welcome to Monterey!

IMG_5230.jpg

Edit: I should add that this is Monterey 12.0.1 downloaded with GibMacOS.

Last edited:
Even though I haven't been able to get the Monterey USB installer to work, I do have a workable Z690 Aero G running Monterey.
Good! :thumbup: But I'd suggest to keep investigating the issue with the installer, because if you can't run an installer you won't be able to upgrade either.
For what it is worth, I struggled with a similar issue (installed system boots, installer/updater doesn't) on C621 and finally solved it by disabling unnecessary quirks.

What's puzzling is that @CaseySJ has no issue with the same EFI.

Back