Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z690 Aero G + i5-12600K + AMD RX 6800 XT

Fair point! RX 6600 at (or close to) list price is better than an overpriced RX 580, but that means running Monterey 12.1 and later.

Fair point! RX 6600 at (or close to) list price is better than an overpriced RX 580, but that means running Monterey 12.1 and later.
Newegg has a selection of RX560's in the low 200's. I don't know if that's enough horsepower to do the job for you but after a quick search, anything better, starting at RX570, is mid $400's and higher.

Yeah, quite insane...I paid for my RX570 end of 2019 135€, just because I was in dire need for a 8 GB Card for 4K video editing.
But as my Hackintosh now really comes to limits, this here sounds more and more tempting...damn how do I tell my wife that I need to spend 2 grand on new hardware ?

Following the developments here with great interest! Used a 3770 i7 system for my photo processing for many years and looking for an update. Is there any progress on spoofing the igpu in alderlake series? Otherwise, what would be a good choice for a low-cost video card?
Hello @ronaldwv,

Several members have replied to your post already. I'll just add the following:

Because you are wondering if iGPU can be used, it implies that your workflow is not particularly GPU-intensive. That's a good thing in today's GPU market. As @faithie999 mentioned, if you can purchase an AMD RX 560, that would be more than sufficient. It performs much better than any Intel iGPU.

We dont have much choice. All new(not used) RX580/RX5500 XT have
the same price as RX 6600 XT. But performance RX 6600XT is nearly two times better.
RX 560 is a "budget" solution , not very powerfull but easily connect 4 K LCD .
Next Monterey upgrade will be very useful.

Last edited:
Hi Casey, I love your tutorial. I am considering going to get the ASUS ProArt Z690. Can I take this EFI with a few modifications to make the ASUS Pro Art work?

Hi Casey, I love your tutorial. I am considering going to get the ASUS ProArt Z690. Can I take this EFI with a few modifications to make the ASUS Pro Art work?
Hello @marcchizzie,

Although the EFI folder in post 1 can be adapted to other boards, I do not recommend this option. Instead, for different motherboards I recommend using the EFI folder and instructions provided by @etorix in this post:
If you have any questions about the procedure, feel free to post in that thread. It's a very active thread so you'll get help quickly.

@CaseySJ

I have installed the Aero G into a Fractal Design Meshify 2 case with these front panel ports. I also installed BIOS F6a.

I use this IOGear Sharing Switch that my mouse and keyboard are plugged into.

I can boot without any problems with the switch plugged into either of the front USB 3.0 ports, and with a SSD drive in a USB housing plugged into the Gen 2 Type-C port at the same time, or one at a time.

The USB 3.0 next to the reset button is not active once booted into Monterey. I'll need to do some remapping if I want to use it.

Is this the type of configuration causing you booting problems?
Update: I ended up purchasing this 4x4 switch from Cable Matters and it works just fine on front and rear USB Type A ports.

What Works
  • Netflix and Prime Video in Safari
May I ask a couple of questions?
(1) How did you make DRM videos playable in Safari?
(2) Is there a specific reason for choosing MacPro7,1 rather than iMacPro1,1 as SystemProductName?

May I ask a couple of questions?
(1) How did you make DRM videos playable in Safari?
When we use either MacPro7,1 or iMacPro1,1 then DRM playback in Safari works right away (no changes or tricks needed).

(2) Is there a specific reason for choosing MacPro7,1 rather than iMacPro1,1 as SystemProductName?
MacPro7,1 is newer than iMacPro1,1, which means macOS will be supported on MacPro7,1 for a longer period of time.
  • iMacPro1,1 ---> Dec 2017
  • MacPro7,1 ---> Dec 2019
Assuming 7 years of macOS support:
  • iMacPro1,1 --> expires end of 2024
  • MacPro7,1 --> expires end of 2026
Assuming 8 years of support:
  • iMacPro1,1 --> 2025
  • MacPro7,1 --> 2027

Back