Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z690 Aero G + i5-12600K + AMD RX 6800 XT

@CaseySJ I got a GC-Maple Ridge, will try this and send updates ASAP.

1. Do Thunderbolt devices work when connected before boot? Yes, but my caldigit thunderbolt 3 dock DP output not working. In systen report, no device in thunderbolt/usb4 section, dock is in USB section.
  2. Do Thunderbolt devices hot plug? If so, do they hot plug only once or multiple times? Only once. Then restart the machine, still cannot find the dock. Then shutdown the machine, and start it again, the dock is back!
  3. Put the system to sleep for 30 or more seconds. Wake it up with a key press. Run IORegistryExplorer and scroll to RP05 section. Is your Thunderbolt device up and running? Yes, more than 30 seconds, the dock is still alive after wake up. Connected an iphone to the dock, after wake up, the phone is still connected!

Last edited:
1531644762794_.pic.jpg
1541644762903_.pic.jpg

@CaseySJ I got a GC-Maple Ridge, will try this and send updates ASAP.

1. Do Thunderbolt devices work when connected before boot? Yes, but my caldigit thunderbolt 3 dock DP output not working. In systen report, no device in hunderbolt/usb section, dock is in USB section.
  2. Do Thunderbolt devices hot plug? If so, do they hot plug only once or multiple times? Only once. Then restart the machine, still cannot find the dock. Then shutdown the machine, and start it again, the dock is back!
  3. Put the system to sleep for 30 or more seconds. Wake it up with a key press. Run IORegistryExplorer and scroll to RP05 section. Is your Thunderbolt device up and running?
Thanks for testing this. Some comments:
  • The main problem that we wanted to fix is the Thunderbolt controller not waking up after sleep. It looks like this problem has been fixed.
  • Regarding DP Output from a Thunderbolt Dock, I believe we need a working iGPU in macOS in order to send video through that port. (If someone believes otherwise, please let me know.)
  • We are still limited to one hot plug cycle. Looking through the Linux source code (in the drivers/thunderbolt folder) it seems this might be because a set of device control registers need to be read in order for them to signal another event. We'll continue to look into this issue.

Thanks for testing this. Some comments:
  • The main problem that we wanted to fix is the Thunderbolt controller not waking up after sleep. It looks like this problem has been fixed.
  • Regarding DP Output from a Thunderbolt Dock, I believe we need a working iGPU in macOS in order to send video through that port. (If someone believes otherwise, please let me know.)
  • We are still limited to one hot plug cycle. Looking through the Linux source code (in the drivers/thunderbolt folder) it seems this might be because a set of device control registers need to be read in order for them to signal another event. We'll continue to look into this issue.
No problem.
I also found there is a Thunderbolt opiton in F7 BIOS.

Last edited:
Anyone updates to F7 BIOS, please reconfig the BIOS again, otherwise, you will get boot loop!

@CaseySJ, in the first post in this thread, in the Thunderbolt section for the Maple Ridge card, you state:
Because Maple Ridge is (a) Thunderbolt 4 and (b) not natively supported in macOS...
I just looked at my 2021 M1 16" MBP's About This Mac > System Report > Thunderbolt/USB4. If that also means TB4, then Monterey supports TB4...as far as I can tell.

'USB4' (without space, in a hopelessly desperate attempt to put behind us the sufferings of 'USB 3.x Gen y') is the same thing as Thunderbolt 3.
Thunderbolt 4 is a fractional step above that, being Thunderbolt 3 with all optional features in.

Anyway the actual issue is that Maple Ridge is not present in any real Intel-based Mac and therefore not supported in macOS for x86. What happens in the version of macOS for AppleSilicon is of no relevance to our hacks. And, if I'm not mistaken, M1 Macs have their Thunderbolt controller in the M1 SoC itself, it's not even a regular Intel Titan Ridge or Maple Ridge.

Regarding DP Output from a Thunderbolt Dock, I believe we need a working iGPU in macOS in order to send video through that port. (If someone believes otherwise, please let me know.)
Wouldn't it work by connecting a dGPU output to the 'DP IN' port on the back panel? Is the OS even relevant to what video signal is passed through?
Of course, unless the monitor is Thunderbolt-only, there's absolutely no reason to do that rather than attaching directly the monitor to the dGPU…

'USB4' (without space, in a hopelessly desperate attempt to put behind us the sufferings of 'USB 3.x Gen y') is the same thing as Thunderbolt 3.
Thunderbolt 4 is a fractional step above that, being Thunderbolt 3 with all optional features in.

Anyway the actual issue is that Maple Ridge is not present in any real Intel-based Mac and therefore not supported in macOS for x86. What happens in the version of macOS for AppleSilicon is of no relevance to our hacks. And, if I'm not mistaken, M1 Macs have their Thunderbolt controller in the M1 SoC itself, it's not even a regular Intel Titan Ridge or Maple Ridge.
According to Apple" Specs for my 2021 M1 MBP:
Three Thunderbolt 4 (USB-C) ports with support for:
Charging
DisplayPort
Thunderbolt 4 (up to 40Gb/s)
USB 4 (up to 40Gb/s)

So that tells me that Monterey supports TB 4 & USB 4.

Reference: https://www.apple.com/macbook-pro-14-and-16/specs/

Back