Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z690 Aero G + i5-12600K + AMD RX 6800 XT

@CaseySJ et al,

I'm looking to replace my old Apple iSight FireWire camera as I don't have enough PCI slots on this motherboard for my FW PCIe card.

The tonymacx86 Buyer's Guide has a Logitech HD Pro Webcam C920 listed. However, I think there are newer, better ones. C920X replaced it.

View attachment 541773

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-C920x-Pro-HD-Webcam/dp/B085TFF7M1

Please recommend a good video camera so I can FaceTime with my family and friends. TIA.
@Stork,

I would recommend the C920s instead. The "s" stands for shutter. I have 2 of these and they are in my view the best 1080p webcams. They handle lighting conditions better than two other models I tried during the height of the pandemic when Logitech's webcams were sold out everywhere.

The C920s is otherwise identical to C920x, but does not include the 3-month trial license for "XSplit VCam" which is something I would not use anyway.

61-6uAf8soL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Hi, I just want to know is the CCC bootable backup an incremental backup? I have a 2T SSD for macOS with about 1T data and just bought a 4T SATA SSD to build a longtime TM backup and then find your instruction. I think a bootable backup would be better, but if it's not an incremental backup I will consider buy another smaller one for it and keep using my 4T SSD on TM or return it.
Hello @iqgmeow
  • Time Machine gives us a versioned backup scheme in which we can go back and retrieve previous versions of files. Time Machine works continuously in the background.
  • Carbon Copy Cloner makes (a) full backups and (b) snapshots. Snapshots are similar to versioned backups, but don't provide the file-based retrieval capability that Time Machine provides.
In my view a good backup scheme should incorporate both of these tools:
  • Use Time Machine for continuous backups of changes made to files.
  • Use Carbon Copy Cloner to create bootable backups.

Hello @iqgmeow
  • Time Machine gives us a versioned backup scheme in which we can go back and retrieve previous versions of files. Time Machine works continuously in the background.
  • Carbon Copy Cloner makes (a) full backups and (b) snapshots. Snapshots are similar to versioned backups, but don't provide the file-based retrieval capability that Time Machine provides.
In my view a good backup scheme should incorporate both of these tools:
  • Use Time Machine for continuous backups of changes made to files.
  • Use Carbon Copy Cloner to create bootable backups.
Thanks! I'll use both way to make my backup.

** GC-Maple Ridge -- Surviving a Wake From Sleep **
Please do not quote this post in its entirety. Use a link or excerpt instead.​

Problem Statement:
As you may know, the GC-Maple Ridge does not survive a wake from sleep. All devices disconnect and the controller is not functional until the system is rebooted. After spending a few hours, I may have a solution, but would like others to verify.

Requirements:
  • Gigabyte GC-Maple Ridge Thunderbolt 4 PCIe add-in-card.
  • Install card in middle long slot (RP05 on Gigabyte Z690 Aero G).
  • Connect 5-pin Thunderbolt header to motherboard.
  • Connect 9-pin USB header to motherboard.

OpenCore EFI Modifications:
The fix involves three steps that are detailed below:
  1. Use of SSDT-TITAN-RIDGE-V1.aml. Yes Titan Ridge SSDT on a Maple Ridge card. This SSDT is attached if you need it. Update 14 Feb 2022: Also try SSDT-MAPLE-RIDGE-RP05-V2B.aml instead, attached below.
  2. Use of SSDT-DTbtSsdt.aml. This is a modified version of the original that's included in BIOS. This SSDT modifies the _GPE.NTFY method to notify the NHI0 device (Thunderbolt Native Host Interface) on wake.
  3. ACPI entry to delete the standard SSDT-DTbtSsdt.aml.
Items 1 and 2 are easy to do. Just add them to ACPI --> Add section of config.plist and disable the previous Thunderbolt SSDT. Please add the two SSDTs in the positions shown.
Screen Shot 2022-02-12 at 4.06.37 PM.png

Item 3 is done as follows (ACPI -> Delete section):
  • Table Signature: SSDT
  • Oem Table ID: 44546274 53736474
  • Comment: Delete standard DTbtSsdt table
  • Enabled: Check on
Screen Shot 2022-02-12 at 4.06.41 PM.png

Then perform a cold boot by shutting down the system, flipping power switch on PSU to OFF for 10 seconds, then powering back up.

Things to Check:
  1. Do Thunderbolt devices work when connected before boot?
  2. Do Thunderbolt devices hot plug? If so, do they hot plug only once or multiple times?
  3. Put the system to sleep for 30 or more seconds. Wake it up with a key press. Run IORegistryExplorer and scroll to RP05 section. Is your Thunderbolt device up and running?
Note that hot plug may not work after a wake from sleep.

Screen Shot 2022-02-12 at 4.14.04 PM.png

Attachments

• SSDT-TITAN-RIDGE-V1.aml
    2.2 KB · Views: 69
  • SSDT-DTbtSsdt.aml
    10.7 KB · Views: 74
  • SSDT-MAPLE-RIDGE-RP05-V2B.aml
    2.2 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Did you try the "new method" of installing the BIOS that came with the download - the EFI installation method?
Just pointed to the BIOS file and updated. Not familiar with new method.

Hello @Elias64Fr,

Thought you might be interested to see this. On Z690 platforms -- and maybe Z590 as well -- there is a new Thunderbolt SSDT included in BIOS with table name DTbtSsdt. This contains some interesting new functions.
  • In particular, we have DCCM. DCCM might mean "Discrete Controller Connection Mode".
  • It can alternate between Software Connection Management and Firmware Connection Management.
  • Unfortunately, macOS does not support Maple Ridge natively. I tried enabling SW CM Mode, but no Thunderbolt Bus.
    • I issued the command: DCCM (One, RPS0, RPT0)
SSDT attached.
Screen Shot 2022-02-12 at 5.02.16 PM.png

These screenshots are from your SSDT-MAPLE-RIDGE.aml:
Screen Shot 2022-02-13 at 6.06.21 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-02-13 at 6.06.44 AM.png

Attachments

• SSDT-DTbtSsdt-Aero-G.aml
    10.9 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Back