Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i9 10900K
Graphics
6800XT
Last weekend my Hackintosh System had an unfortunate situation in which my Gigabyte Z490 (Vision D) died and no longer boots up.

I am in Hong Kong and currently I am no longer able to find the Gigabyte Z490 (Vision D) in stock at any stores. Most of the shops are only carrying the new Z590 motherboards.

In Hong Kong the dealer has the Gigabyte Z590I (Vision D) but not the ATX model. However they have the Z590 (Vision G).

Since I prefer to get thunderbolt support for the future, I found that my options with Thunderbolt will be MSI Z590 Ace and the Asrock Z590 Taichi

I just need a motherboard for my system which has the Intel I9 10900K CPU.

Which motherboard should I choose?
1) Gigabyte Z590 (Vision G)
2) Asrock Z590 Taichi
3) MSi Z590 ACE

I know Gigabyte boards have the best success with Hackintosh and that is why I am leaning more towards this board but at thre back of my mind Inkeep thinking that I should get a motherboard with thunderbolt. I read a little bit about thunderbolt 4 not being 100% stable in Big Sur, will that be improved eventually or should I get a motherboard without Thunderbolt

Is there any other motherboard option better than the 3 I listed above for Big Sur?

Need your suggestions as I need a new motherboard urgently. Please help me out.

Last weekend my Hackintosh System had an unfortunate situation in which my Gigabyte Z490 (Vision D) died and no longer boots up.

I am in Hong Kong and currently I am no longer able to find the Gigabyte Z490 (Vision D) in stock at any stores. Most of the shops are only carrying the new Z590 motherboards.

In Hong Kong the dealer has the Gigabyte Z590I (Vision D) but not the ATX model. However they have the Z590 (Vision G).

Since I prefer to get thunderbolt support for the future, I found that my options with Thunderbolt will be MSI Z590 Ace and the Asrock Z590 Taichi

I just need a motherboard for my system which has the Intel I9 10900K CPU.

Which motherboard should I choose?
1) Gigabyte Z590 (Vision G)
2) Asrock Z590 Taichi
3) MSi Z590 ACE

I know Gigabyte boards have the best success with Hackintosh and that is why I am leaning more towards this board but at thre back of my mind Inkeep thinking that I should get a motherboard with thunderbolt. I read a little bit about thunderbolt 4 not being 100% stable in Big Sur, will that be improved eventually or should I get a motherboard without Thunderbolt

Is there any other motherboard option better than the 3 I listed above for Big Sur?

Need your suggestions as I need a new motherboard urgently. Please help me out.

Hi there.

I'm sure someone else with more knowledge of Thunderbolt will be along to point you in the right direction, but ...

The Intel 500-series chipsets are not really that common in the hackintosh community. Yes there are a few - I built one for example - but if you look through our User Builds and Golden Builds forums you'll be hard-pressed to find more than a couple being actively updated.

That's not much help, I realise, as you are finding it hard to obtain a 400-series board in your location.

The reason for a slower take-up of the 500-series range is down to macOS compatibility. Yes, they can and do work, but are not as flexible or configurable as the 400. There are also inherent problems with Comet Lake and Rocket Lake iGPUs. They need more work.

Remember for your consideration, that a lot of ASUS and Gigabyte motherboards are Thunderbolt compatible even if they don't have the actual ports on the back-panel. The companies offer add-on cards for this function.

:)

Hi there.

I'm sure someone else with more knowledge of Thunderbolt will be along to point you in the right direction, but ...

The Intel 500-series chipsets are not really that common in the hackintosh community. Yes there are a few - I built one for example - but if you look through our User Builds and Golden Builds forums you'll be hard-pressed to find more than a couple being actively updated.

That's not much help, I realise, as you are finding it hard to obtain a 400-series board in your location.

The reason for a slower take-up of the 500-series range is down to macOS compatibility. Yes, they can and do work, but are not as flexible or configurable as the 400. There are also inherent problems with Comet Lake and Rocket Lake iGPUs. They need more work.

Remember for your consideration, that a lot of ASUS and Gigabyte motherboards are Thunderbolt compatible even if they don't have the actual ports on the back-panel. The companies offer add-on cards for this function.

:)
Thanks a lot for your reply.

I forgot to mention that apart for the i9 10900K cpu, I will be using the AMD RX 6800Xt GPU, which was already working in my Hackintosh system before the unfortunate incident with my motherboard not booting up in the weekend.

I am sure I will not be able to use the same EFI in my Vanilla boot installer to reinstall Mac OS and am sure that after getting a Z590 motherboard, I will need to reinstall Big Sur.

Thanks a lot for your reply.

I forgot to mention that apart for the i9 10900K cpu, I will be using the AMD RX 6800Xt GPU, which was already working in my Hackintosh system before the unfortunate incident with my motherboard not booting up in the weekend.

I am sure I will not be able to use the same EFI in my Vanilla boot installer to reinstall Mac OS and am sure that after getting a Z590 motherboard, I will need to reinstall Big Sur.

Well the GPU you have will be a bonus for compatibility.

I can see you have found the Z590 build in our User Builds section. :thumbup:

Yes, I did find the EFI for the Z590 Vision G.

Was hoping to find one for either MSI Z590 Ace or thr Asrock Z590 Taichi due to the Thunderbolt support.

I know that the Gigabyte Z490 Vision D is no longer being Sold in HK because the dealer has no stock and will not get any more stock.

Most of the shops I went to were the popular ones. If I had more time I could try to go to the shops one by one to check if any Z490 motherboards I can find.

I also found the EFI for ASUS Z490 ProArt which has thunderbolt as well. Do you think it is better for me to get that board if I am able to find it?

Just an update.

I went ahead an ordered the Gigabyte Z590 Vision G. OhChang's success encouraged me to go with the Vision G motherboard.

I is unfortunate that I will lose thunderbolt support out of the box but at least I can set get the Gigabyte Thunderbolt add on card if ever I need to use it in the future. For now I am reading that Thunderbolt is not so stable with MacOS. Will see later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back