Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Hi everyone,

I would have a very innocent question to all of you. I plan maybe to switch my 10700K to an 11th gen CPU. My BIOS version is old. I did not and never had to update it since it was recommended back then by @CaseySJ in his configuration guide. I would then need to update my BIOS.

Should I expect any misfortunes?... regarding the functioning of the thunderbolt ports for example? or is it all history with the latest version of OpenCore and it will work right away?
@maeluse,

If you are upgrading your CPU I have a guide for it here you can follow > https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...igabyte-vision-d-i9-11900k-amd-rx6600.317472/

Although my board here is a Z590 the OC files roughly work the same - the most important is establishing the CPUID spoofing to Comet Lake values under Kernel > Emulate and that you use AppleALC kext instead of AppleALCU as in my build. You will likely however need a separate DGPU like RX580 or RX6600 as the Intel 11th gen's IGPU won't work. You may indeed also have to update the BIOS. As for functionality, I haven't noticed anything too different - the Thunderbolt ports work as does everything else.

Should I expect any misfortunes?... regarding the functioning of the thunderbolt ports for example? or is it all history with the latest version of OpenCore and it will work right away?
You can upgrade effortlessly to an i9-10850K/10900K.
11th gen. is unsupported, so this would be (half of) a new hack: Spoof CPU; change to iMacPro1,1 or MacPro7,1 SMBIOS; update USB map accordingly. I doubt it is worth the hassle.

11th gen. is unsupported, so this would be (half of) a new hack: Spoof CPU; change to iMacPro1,1 or MacPro7,1 SMBIOS; update USB map accordingly. I doubt it is worth the hassle.
Indeed! I ignored that, thanks for your info. Well as changing from 10700K to 11900K isn't worth the hassle, I doubt changing to 10900K is worth the price considering the 3% improved performance overall :). I may stick with my current CPU then!

@maeluse,

If you are upgrading your CPU I have a guide for it here you can follow > https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...igabyte-vision-d-i9-11900k-amd-rx6600.317472/

Although my board here is a Z590 the OC files roughly work the same - the most important is establishing the CPUID spoofing to Comet Lake values under Kernel > Emulate and that you use AppleALC kext instead of AppleALCU as in my build. You will likely however need a separate DGPU like RX580 or RX6600 as the Intel 11th gen's IGPU won't work. You may indeed also have to update the BIOS. As for functionality, I haven't noticed anything too different - the Thunderbolt ports work as does everything else.
Hi @Middleman,

Your guide looks excellent! That's surely very helpful. However I have a Z490 and my idea was to stick with my current motherboard and spend max. 200 bucks, upgrading my current configuration at its maximum allowed capacity (i.e. flashing the BIOS and equipping it with a 11900K)... but as @etorix said, the 11th gen CPU seems to be unsupported in the hackintosh community with this motherboard... and I don't feel myself brave / experimented enough to challenge it :)

I think if I had to upgrade my whole platform and dedicate some budget for it, I would probably look towards builds supporting the 12th or even 13th gen Intels. I have seen some successful ones here and there...

@etorix,

I can confirm the 11900K works totally fine on my Z590I Vision D as well as with my Z490 Xtreme. The chip can still spoof to Comet Lake. The only issue is that the IGPU doesn't work so a AMD DGPU is required instead for boot up.

Hi all. I've updated to Ventura on a clone disk. After reading through many pages of this thread I have now tweaked the Opencore config and have got my Ethernet and wifi working again but the ethernet (I219) is only connecting at 10Mbps/half duplex. Does anyone know what might be causing this please?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-10 at 16.34.37.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-10 at 16.34.37.png
    167.4 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot 2023-11-10 at 16.35.17.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-10 at 16.35.17.png
    171.5 KB · Views: 17
I can confirm the 11900K works totally fine on my Z590I Vision D as well as with my Z490 Xtreme. The chip can still spoof to Comet Lake. The only issue is that the IGPU doesn't work so a AMD DGPU is required instead for boot up.
Yes, it can certainly be made to work, with a spoof and a dGPU, but it is not "officially supported" by macOS, contrary to a 10th generation CPU on Z490.
If more core or more CPU power is wanted, a 10th gen. i9 is an easy, drop-in, solution supported by iMac20 SMBIOS. The extra hassle of re-setting the hack to make it work unofficially under iMacPro or MacPro SMBIOS does not seem worth it for the potential IPC increase from 10th to 11th gen. in my opinion.

Hi all. I've updated to Ventura on a clone disk. After reading through many pages of this thread I have now tweaked the Opencore config and have got my Ethernet and wifi working again but the ethernet (I219) is only connecting at 10Mbps/half duplex. Does anyone know what might be causing this please?
@jonpm,

May I ask what settings are you using to enable the Intel I219 LAN?

@jonpm,

May I ask what settings are you using to enable the Intel I219 LAN?

It's stopped working again this morning :(

Possibly after the computer went to sleep and woke.

I think what finally got it to work was removing IntelMausi which I'd been using in all versions up to and including Monterey, and enabling the DisableIOMapperMapping quirk.

But something's obviously still not right...

Back