Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

@CaseySJ I have tried to update ventura 13.6 via the appstore since SW update keeps failing and it worked. The system was updated without losing any data. My next question is: can I do the same thing to upgrade to Sonoma? Can I perform the update via the appstore rather than the SW update since it failed anyway even after updating to 13.6?
Yes we can do the in-place upgrade from Ventura to Sonoma without losing any data. Always make a full bootable backup before starting.

Nooooooo, this is one of my favourite features of Mac OS. Airdrop has to be the best thing since the Stone Age.
I totally agree -- macOS Continuity features are simply wonderful.

The OCLP (or related) folks may be working on a new patch that does not require us to disable SIP. I'm taking a wait-and-see attitude before installing any such patches.

I totally agree -- macOS Continuity features are simply wonderful.

The OCLP (or related) folks may be working on a new patch that does not require us to disable SIP. I'm taking a wait-and-see attitude before installing any such patches.
Fingers and toes crossed for this!

AMFIPass KEXT did work for me. Having 2nd thoughts about this whole OCLP situation and having random "Wake from sleep" issues. I might switch over to the Intel wifi solution.
Tried reversing the OCLP patch and the config.plist changes back to default and was able to get sleep properly working again.

Tried reversing the OCLP patch and the config.plist changes back to default and was able to get sleep properly working again.
So if you reversed the OCLP patch I'm assuming your broadcom wifi is done for? Also how did you reverse the patch, a full Sonoma reinstall? I feel like Sonoma 14.1 is a week or so out, so I'm going to wait before making any changes.

So if you reversed the OCLP patch I'm assuming your broadcom wifi is done for? Also how did you reverse the patch, a full Sonoma reinstall? I feel like Sonoma 14.1 is a week or so out, so I'm going to wait before making any changes.
Yes, the OCLP patch and the config.plist, kexts included was reversed. Also in OCLP app, there is an option under the post install patch to revert patches.

Here's the thing. It took me 3 different "config.plist" files to get my Hack into Sonoma w/ Broadcom wifi working.
That is precisely why the upgrade is far from elegant.

#1- My Config.plist from Ventura for updating via the App-store
#2- My Config.plist configured for patching the Sonoma Kernel w/ OCLP
#3- My current Config.plist configured as my "daily driver" for Sonoma

I could send you #3 as that's all I bothered to save, but that wouldn't allow you to patch the kernel.

Followed these instructions from "https://www.tonymacx86.com/members/suzukikm.2025578/" to the letter.

"Update to Sonoma normally first.

1. Once the update is done, configure your EFI as per the guide.

For Broadcom wifi patching

Block: IOSkywalkFamily.kext
Add: IOSkywalkFamily.kext, IO80211FamilyLegacy.kext, and AirPortBrcmNIC.kext in order.
Disable: SecureBootModel, SIP and AMFI as below

SecureBootModel -> Disabled
csr-active-config -> <03080000>
boot-arg -> amfi=0x80

2. Reboot with above config

3. Apply the OCLP Modern Wireless Patch

4. Reboot

5. Configure your EFI again

Remove: amfi=0x80
Add: AMFIPass.kext
Boog-arg: -amfipassbeta

6. Reboot. You should be good to go."
@Lensjocky I followed you instructions but something is not working.
I see the Wifi on. I can connect to unprotected networks that my university runs for guests but cannot connect to the SSID that requires WPA2 Enterprise.
After I connect WiFi says it's working but I have no internet connection BUT Continuity, Airdrop etc. work well, go figure.
On top I lot the 2.5G Ethernet connection, it just does not show up.
I have wired as well so I can do everything but the wireless behavior is perplexing.
I'm attaching my config.plist anonymized.
I think over the years I added ktext and other stuff that is probably interfering with each other.
Maybe time to get a MacStudio but I'm reluctant to abandon "my baby". I have 96GB RAM and about 30TB in drives

Attachments

• config.plist
    38.3 KB · Views: 25
@Lensjocky I followed you instructions but something is not working.
I see the Wifi on. I can connect to unprotected networks that my university runs for guests but cannot connect to the SSID that requires WPA2 Enterprise.
After I connect WiFi says it's working but I have no internet connection BUT Continuity, Airdrop etc. work well, go figure.
On top I lot the 2.5G Ethernet connection, it just does not show up.
I have wired as well so I can do everything but the wireless behavior is perplexing.
I'm attaching my config.plist anonymized.
I think over the years I added ktext and other stuff that is probably interfering with each other.
Maybe time to get a MacStudio but I'm reluctant to abandon "my baby". I have 96GB RAM and about 30TB in drives
Sorry you're having trouble. I'm certainly no expert, but for starters you have a Malformed tag on line 1262.
I'd loose the extra "<" symbol then try opening it in OpenCore Configurator to see if it has any other problems.

Good Luck.

ps. I feel the same reluctance to abandon my Hack.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-04 at 4.44.46 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-04 at 4.44.46 PM.png
    159.3 KB · Views: 26
@bruttonero,

What wifi/BT & LAN cards are you using? Is it Intel or Broadcom? If you're using wifi/BT with Broadcom I'd suggest it's probably easier to swap the card out for an Intel AX200 which works fully on wifi & BT.

As for the 2.5Gb Intel LAN, did you add in the F2158086 for the PCI device-id? You will also need to add e1000=0 for the boot-arg for that to be enabled.

@Middleman Most of the users here use dext driver for I225. But is the device-id spoofing really necessary? I don’t remember needing to have to spoof for the kext driver on this board since 20.4.0. F2158086 looks to be an invalid device-id that will just prevent dext driver from matching onto I225. However, this is already done by adding e1000=0.

@bruttonero
Replacing IOSkywalkFamily.kext in Sonoma breaks dext support for i225. Alternative options are to use AppleIGC.kext or the AppleIntelEthernet210.kext from macOS Monterey.

Back