Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Alas, Ethernet devices are typically affected by AppleVTD. If this is an Aquantia 10GbE device then it requires AppleVTD.

Does Windows have its own EFI partition?

Another option is to disable AppleVTD and use the Aquantia macOS patches from my GitHub repository.
Hello @CaseySJ

Yes, the QNAP T310G1S is an Aquantia device (in Windows, it uses the AC100 driver).

Yes, Windows has its own partition, and referencing your reply to @maeluse my Windows SATA SSD has its own EFI partition and I did disconnect/removed all other drives when I installed Windows 10.

I will try your Aquantia macOS patches (I use them in my Ryzen build).

Thank you!

@louierh70 @maeluse

I'm curious to understand why OpenCore fails to boot Windows for some users and not for others. I install Windows 10 and 11 like this:
  • Create EFI partition on Windows SSD using Disk Utility on macOS (format the disk as FAT32)
  • Create Windows Installer USB disk using Microsoft's Media Creation Tool
  • Disconnect all macOS drives and boot the Windows installer
  • Follow the Windows install wizard to perform a new installation (not an upgrade)
  • Select target disk and then I believe I delete the FAT32 partition (not the EFI partition); this allows Windows to create all required NTFS and Recovery partitions
  • Proceed with the installation

I actually proceeded this way too (as far as I remember... it was quite a long time ago) ... and the dual boot worked nice back then! (after that I updated OpenCore many times and updated macOS many times but did not touch my Windows partition).

I could try to reinstall windows again by carefully following these steps if any other attempts fail...

The question I am asking myself is: why is it working by pressing F12 at BIOS stage, then selecting the Windows EFI in the list, but not at OpenCore boot picker stage? If that was really a Windows installation problem, would not it fail at BIOS stage too?

I first thought that the location of my Windows EFI was wrongly configured in config.plist, but it does not seem to be the case...

I actually proceeded this way too (as far as I remember... it was quite a long time ago) ... and the dual boot worked nice back then! (after that I updated OpenCore many times and updated macOS many times but did not touch my Windows partition).

I could try to reinstall windows again by carefully following these steps if any other attempts fail...

The question I am asking myself is: why is it working by pressing F12 at BIOS stage, then selecting the Windows EFI in the list, but not at OpenCore boot picker stage? If that was really a Windows installation problem, would not it fail at BIOS stage too?

I first thought that the location of my Windows EFI was wrongly configured in config.plist, but it does not seem to be the case...
Is there a “Microsoft” folder anywhere in the OpenCore EFI partition?

In the OpenCore EFI/BOOT folder is there only one file or several files?

Nope! The only "Microsoft" folder I could find is located in the Windows EFI partition on my "Windows SSD" and I configured the config.plist (in my OpenCore EFI) to point to that location.

About your second question, I am not sure... I will check. The best way I think is to share all my SSD EFIs with you. I am back at home in a few hours (it is 1 PM in France right now).

Nope! The only "Microsoft" folder I could find is located in the Windows EFI partition on my "Windows SSD" and I configured the config.plist (in my OpenCore EFI) to point to that location.

About your second question, I am not sure... I will check. The best way I think is to share all my SSD EFIs with you. I am back at home in a few hours (it is 1 PM in France right now).
I vaguely recall a post on TonyMac from someone who solved this problem, but I cannot find that post… ;)

@louierh70 @maeluse

I'm curious to understand why OpenCore fails to boot Windows for some users and not for others. I install Windows 10 and 11 like this:
  • Create EFI partition on Windows SSD using Disk Utility on macOS (format the disk as FAT32)
  • Create Windows Installer USB disk using Microsoft's Media Creation Tool
  • Disconnect all macOS drives and boot the Windows installer
  • Follow the Windows install wizard to perform a new installation (not an upgrade)
  • Select target disk and then I believe I delete the FAT32 partition (not the EFI partition); this allows Windows to create all required NTFS and Recovery partitions
  • Proceed with the installation
@CaseySJ

I installed Windows 10 only the other day so I can confirm that I followed exactly all the steps.

I checked my OC EFI partition and there is no Microsoft folder, it's only on the Windows EFI.

In the OC/EFI Boot folder, there is only 1 file.

I searched for a solution to this problem but my search was limited to this thread and the only solution is to disable AppleVTD.

Last edited:
But then you cannot use WIFI/Ethernet on your macOS anymore right? it would then unfortunately sound like a precarious workaround to me :/

But then you cannot use WIFI/Ethernet on your macOS anymore right? it would then unfortunately sound like a precarious workaround to me :/
@maeluse

If I understand correctly, if you enable the Kernel Quirk "DisableIoMapper" then Wifi/Ethernet will work.

Also, I think Ethernet is only affected if you are using a Thunderbolt for Ethernet. And even if you are, @CaseySJ suggested using his Aquantia macOS patches, assuming your Thunderbolt Ethernet card uses Aquantia.

I am planning to test this myself to see if it works (disable AppleVTD and use the Aquantia macOS patches) but probably only later this week.

Back