Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

@maeluse

If I understand correctly, if you enable the Kernel Quirk "DisableIoMapper" then Wifi/Ethernet will work.

Also, I think Ethernet is only affected if you are using a Thunderbolt for Ethernet. And even if you are, @CaseySJ suggested using his Aquantia macOS patches, assuming your Thunderbolt Ethernet card uses Aquantia.

I am planning to test this myself to see if it works (disable AppleVTD and use the Aquantia macOS patches) but probably only later this week.
In Monterey and Ventura certain Ethernet devices will only work if AppleVTD is enabled. For example:
  • Intel i225-V and i226-V (2.5GbE)
  • Intel i211 (1GbE)
  • Aquantia 10GbE (does not matter if it's Thunderbolt, PCIe card, or built-in)
  • Apple Thunderbolt-to-Gigabit Ethernet adapter
In other words, nearly all Ethernet devices that use native (or built-in) drivers require AppleVTD. It does not matter whether these devices are built-in, connected via Thunderbolt, or installed via PCIe add-in-card.

USB-based Ethernet devices and Ethernet devices that use injected drivers (such as IntelMausi.kext for Intel i-219) will work with or without AppleVTD.

However, for Aquantia 10GbE devices we can use the Aquantia kext patches in my GitHub repository if AppleVTD is disabled. And for Intel i225-V we can inject AppleIntelI210Ethernet.kext from Monterey into Ventura and set boot-argument e1000=0.

As discussed, you should find attached the different zipped EFI folders corresponding to my three different drives.

Attachments

• EFI_Data_SSD.zip
    5.7 MB · Views: 34
  • EFI_OpenCore_macOS_SSD.zip
    14.1 MB · Views: 22
  • EFI_Windows_SSD.zip
    21.5 MB · Views: 21
Regarding AppleVTD, surprisingly it seems to be disabled on my system, as the VT-d option is Disabled in the BIOS as you can see... or did I miss something?

IMG_0024.jpg

I installed 0.9.2 and it seems that the DisableIoMapperMapping new quirk works well.
Now with VT-d ENBLED in Bios and DisableIoMapper OFF and DisableIoMapperMapping ON network seems to work well.

I tried to install the new 13.4 public beta but I get the following error after downloading while it's "preparing":

Failed to prepare the software update. Please try again.

I tried restarting with Safe Boot but same problem.

Anybody has a solution?

Thanks

Regarding AppleVTD, surprisingly it seems to be disabled on my system, as the VT-d option is Disabled in the BIOS as you can see... or did I miss something?

View attachment 566549
When the Windows boot issue occurs, it’s due to deleting the system DMAR table.

Did you manage to see that in my configuration? :eek:

Did you manage to see that in my configuration? :eek:
Yup...
Screenshot 2023-05-09 at 4.23.39 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-05-09 at 4.23.42 PM.png

Here's the procedure to enable and disable AppleVTD:

Ohh great... so if I get you well, my OpenCore is configured in such a stupid way that I actually "benefit" from all the disadvantages from AppleVTD (due to the missing DMAR table) without benefiting from its advantages because anyway the VT-d option in the BIOS was disabled, so the AppleVTD option could not be triggered despite my "AppleVTD-friendly" OpenCore configuration. Am I right?

Ohh great... so if I get you well, my OpenCore is configured in such a stupid way that I actually "benefit" from all the disadvantages from AppleVTD (due to the missing DMAR table) without benefiting from its advantages because anyway the VT-d option in the BIOS was disabled, so the AppleVTD option could not be triggered despite my "AppleVTD-friendly" OpenCore configuration. Am I right?
Yup! :)

Back