Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Hello!

I installed Win10 on a SATA SSD, and it went well. I am able to dual boot to Ventura and Win10 without any major problems. I just have a few questions:

1) When booting, is it possible to start Windows from the OC 0.9.1 picker? When I tried to do this, Win10 is not able to start.

2) Does it mean then that I always have to press F12 and choose the Win10 boot partition if I want to boot to Win10?

3) In the Recommendation for Windows Dual Boot on Page 1, it says

If Windows is to be installed on an NVMe SSD, it should be installed into the NVMe slot closest to the CPU. This will prevent future Windows Feature Updates from interfering with the EFI partition on the macOS SSD.

Can someone please confirm that this is not applicable if Win10 is installed on a SATA SSD?

4) Finally, I paired my Magic Trackpad via Bluetooth in Win10. After doing this, I am not anymore able to pair the Magic Trackpad in Ventura. It was working okay before I paired it in Win10. Can someone please advise how I can fix this? I am using Intel WiFi/BT.

UPDATE: Magic Trackpad works again. I had to "forget the device" and pair it again.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Hi @CaseySJ, I was having an unusual LAN issue with my new Z490 build and was hoping you could provide a suggestion. I already have a successful GB Z490 hackintosh running well. It is using a Realtec Ethernet card rather than onboard LAN and it's been rock solid so i've stuck with it for the time being.

What is really strange is that I build a second identical clone of this machine. Exact same hardware and EFI from the source machine thinking it would just fire up and work in an identical fashion, but for some reason the LAN will not show up. It tells me the cable is unplugged. I know i am using the realtec LAN adapter and have the Realtec LAN kext injected.

Is there anything obvious I might be missing? perhaps a bios setting that would throw off the LAN connection?
(It shows up in Hackintool fyi)

Thanks for any insight - your help is always appreciated.
best!
John

Also, would like to second this. At this point I'm kind of always left wondering if HackinDROM is tracking things properly and what things may be coming unstuck due to macOS changes and OpenCore config changes etc. It was always great having a 'golden reference' config to go with the Golden Build from someone who knows what's going on!
I'm not seeing where it was posted though?
Now that OpenCore 0.9.2 is officially released, I'll update the EFI folders for each of the golden builds. Will do this over the next day or two.

Hello @CaseySJ

Regarding my question in my previous post on how to boot Win10 from OC, I saw some old posts from August 2021 where the solution is to disable VT-d in the BIOS and DMAR or disabling AppleVTD.

You wrote that AppleVTD is optional unless using a Thunderbolt device that requires it like Apple's own Thunderbolt-to-Gigabit Ethernet adapter. I am using a QNAP Thunderbolt3 to 10GbE adapter. Will that be affected if I disable AppleVTD?

Thanks!

Hello @CaseySJ

Regarding my question in my previous post on how to boot Win10 from OC, I saw some old posts from August 2021 where the solution is to disable VT-d in the BIOS and DMAR or disabling AppleVTD.

You wrote that AppleVTD is optional unless using a Thunderbolt device that requires it like Apple's own Thunderbolt-to-Gigabit Ethernet adapter. I am using a QNAP Thunderbolt3 to 10GbE adapter. Will that be affected if I disable AppleVTD?

Thanks!
Alas, Ethernet devices are typically affected by AppleVTD. If this is an Aquantia 10GbE device then it requires AppleVTD.

Does Windows have its own EFI partition?

Another option is to disable AppleVTD and use the Aquantia macOS patches from my GitHub repository.

** OpenCore 0.9.2 Mini-Guide **
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D and Gigabyte Z490 Vision G (not D)

Please do not quote this guide in its entirety. Post a link or excerpt instead.

Warning: These EFI folders have not been tested so please use them from a USB flash disk first

macOS version supported:
  • Mojave, Catalina, Big Sur, Monterey, Ventura

Manual Installation Procedure:
  • Use OpenCore Configurator 2.69.0.1 and change its preferences/settings to 0.9.2 Development Version
    • When next version of OpenCore Configurator is available, set it to 0.9.2 Release Version
  • Caution: When using OpenCore Configurator, ensure that only one EFI partition is mounted
  • Download the appropriate ZIP file attached below and make these changes to config.plist:
Inside the EFI/OC folder please choose one of these files and rename or copy it to config.plist:
  • config-AMD-GPU.plist
    • Choose this is you have an AMD GPU in the system
  • config-Intel-iGPU.plist
    • Choose this if you'd like to enable video output from the rear IO ports (Thunderbolt Ports 1 and 2, and HDMI port)
    • Even if you have AMD GPU, this file can be used
    • However, it's generally better to disable video output from iGPU if an AMD GPU is present, so config-AMD-GPU.plist would be preferred
  • After choosing one of these files and renaming or copying it to config.plist, edit the config.plist as shown:
Screenshot 2023-05-08 at 1.44.04 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-05-08 at 1.46.21 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-05-08 at 1.47.27 PM.png

Warning:
  • If using Radeon VII or Vega GPUs, remove boot argument "agdpmod=pikera"
  • SSDT-USBW.aml and USBWakeFixup.kext are disabled by default to prevent Bluetooth fault on wake from sleep
  • Please pick the right EFI folder:
    • Z490 Vision D --> OC-092-Z490-VISION-D.zip
    • Z490 Vision G --> EFI-092-VISION-G-NOT-D.zip

Attachments

• OC-092-Z490-VISION-D.zip
    8.5 MB · Views: 466
  • EFI-092-VISION-G-NOT-D.zip
    8.6 MB · Views: 146
Hi everybody,

I am experiencing a problem booting into Windows from OpenCore but unfortunately could not find any suggestion which solves it. I described it by replying to that post, which IMHO is the closest description to my problem which I could find.

I would be very happy if someone could help me with that, especially as I am searching for soooo long...

As I suggested it in the post, I can share my EFI later on if you are interested. I can't now as I am at work. I would nevertheless like to have your suggestions and gladly answer your questions if (hopefully) you have some.

Many thanks in advance! :)

@maeluse

The most common remedy is to disable AppleVTD. In Monterey and Ventura this will cause WiFi and Ethernet devices to fail.

I have four dual boot Intel Hackintoshes with AppleVTD enabled, yet Windows boots up normally through OpenCore. This may be due to the way I install Windows. I create an EFI partition on my Windows SSD and disconnect all other drives before starting the Windows 10 or 11 install.

Thanks @CaseySJ,
I can try and see what comes out of it... nonetheless I never modified this option as far as I remember along my various updates of OpenCore, but at some point in time this issue appeared (it worked fine before). Would it be something wrong in the configuration of Windows EFI itself?

Back