Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

@CaseySJ, The sonnet card is working and recognized, without any OpenCore modifications, on this machine booting from my previous 10.15.7 SSD on OpenCore 0.7.4. My updated 12.6.1 NVMe with OpenCore 0.8.4 breaks the config.

Edit: Had to re-up the image... must be a Monday thing...
And here's my Gigabyte GC-AQC113 running just fine on Ventura 13.1 public beta. As you can see, it has the same Device and Vendor IDs as your Asus (technically, the SSDT spoofed the IDs to what you see here).

Please post the following screenshots of your config.plist:
  • OpenCore Configurator --> ACPI --> Add
  • OpenCore Configurator --> ACPI --> Delete

Screenshot 2022-10-31 at 2.16.31 PM.png

And here's my Gigabyte GC-AQC113 running just fine on Ventura 13.1 public beta. As you can see, it has the same Device and Vendor IDs as your Asus (technically, the SSDT spoofed the IDs to what you see here).
The only time any of the cards have shown in the System Profiler is when the Sonnet card is installed and booted from OpenCore 0.7.4 on Catalina.

What version of OpenCore are you running?

Please post the following screenshots of your config.plist:
  • OpenCore Configurator --> ACPI --> Add
  • OpenCore Configurator --> ACPI --> Delete
Here is the ACPI add and delete. They should look quite familiar to you as they are all created by you from the Z490 Vision D OpenIntel config on hackinDROM. :)

Attachments

• ACPI-Add.jpg
    ACPI-Add.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 22
  • ACPI-delete.jpg
    ACPI-delete.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 17
The only time any of the cards have shown in the System Profiler is when the Sonnet card is installed and booted from OpenCore 0.7.4 on Catalina.

What version of OpenCore are you running?

Here is the ACPI add and delete. They should look quite familiar to you as they are all created by you from the Z490 Vision D OpenIntel config on hackinDROM. :)
That configuration looks correct.

Are there multiple boot disks in the system? If so, is the correct boot disk being booted? (We should check disk boot priority in Boot section of BIOS.)

That configuration looks correct.
The 10.15.7 was just a quick boot into the very old system I used to use that I originally set up with 10.15 using your VisionD config. I use it as a just in case something happens I can boot from it. Surprisingly the card worked in that config without any changes.

The macOS 12 was a brand new install on a nvme drive, but that was also pretty much a vanilla setup from your VisionD config... I did have some messing around with the getting the RX6600 to work but nothing that I would imagine would screw up the ethernet card from working.

Aside from the changes to get the RX6600 to work, and the oc version change... they are the same EFI's, yet the newer oc EFI kills the card.

Are there multiple boot disks in the system? If so, is the correct boot disk being booted? (We should check disk boot priority in Boot section of BIOS.)
  • There is one win10 nvme with it's own EFI. I use F12 to boot from WindowsBootManager when I use that. I only use Opencore for macOS.
  • There are 2 mac systems on separate drives. Each using it's own EFI. One for 10.15 (OC 0.7.4) and one for 12.6 (OC 0.8.4) The nvme with the OC 0.8.4 is set as the default and uses the Opencore option in the bios. To boot from any other EFI I use F12 at boot.
  • I have a storage ssd attached that I have a copy of the os 12.6 EFI with the LauncherOption set to disabled that I use to test EFI changes.

It isn't possible for me to use the 0.7.4 by accident as I have to switch around the monitor cables to use the iGPU rather than the RX6600 which obviously doesn't work pre macOS 12.

It seems that something with the newer OC is altering the card setup.

What is the min OC version that will work with macOS 12?

What is the min OC version that will work with macOS 12?
Your existing 0.7.4 EFI will boot Monterey as well.

Hi all, which Thunderbolt add-on card works out of the box on the 490 without fiddling with the config.plist, kext, or flashing the firmware? Thanks.

Update: @CaseySJ Just to confirm that the combination of not having the latest versions of the kexts and also booting from the wrong EFI were the reasons preventing me from upgrading to Ventura. All good now. I have upgraded to Ventura without any issue. Thanks for your help guys.

Last edited:
Your existing 0.7.4 EFI will boot Monterey as well.
I have installed a new EFI from hackinDROM to my test EFI disk. it installed opencore 0.7.8. I updated only VirtualSMC to 1.3.0. Set system to iMac20,2 and added -v to boot args.

The only thing showing for Ethernet in SystemProfiler is the Intel i225-V.

Maybe I'll update to 13 and see what happens. :crazy:

Hi all, which Thunderbolt add-on card works out of the box on the 490 without fiddling with the config.plist, kext, or flashing the firmware? Thanks.
CG-Titan Ridge card with the updated firmware. You can get one on eBay that has been flashed.

@CaseySJ, I want to thank you for your help trying to enable this card. I futzed around with a few other SSDT's and referenced your SSDT and re-read your comments about correct and incorrect values along with several other posts, and I got it working. :clap:

This is what I ended up doing... and the order I did it in (not sure how important it all is... but it worked). This is for the ASUS XG-C100C - Model: XG-C100C V2 MFG: 2022
  1. ACPI --> Delete: Disabled the Delete standard DMAR table (not sure if it was necessary to disable, either way I eventually ended up re-enabling it. Without it Wi-Fi doesn't work.)
  2. ACPI --> Add: Disabled then Removed/Deleted all the SSDT's we previously used in attempt to recognize the card.
  3. Kernel --> Patch: AQC 107 10 GbE v3 Find:0F844503 0000 Replace:660F1F44 0000
  4. Kernel --> Quirks: Enable ForceAquantiaEthernet
  5. System Preferences... --> Network: Deleted All Listed Services
  6. /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration: Deleted all files (I know only 5 need to be deleted)
  7. Rebooted and ran CleanNvram
  8. Rebooted and the card was detected but wifi was broken.
  9. Went back to ACPI --> Delete: Re-Enabled the Delete standard DMAR table.
  10. Rebooted. Wi-Fi works again and all other cards are working too.
The ASUS shows up like this in System Profiler.
Z490 VisionD ASUS Aquantia.png

Note: A few attempts made with SSDT's did show the card in the PCI section but no driver was loaded and in turn, nothing was shown under Ethernet. This got me thinking I was going in the right direction but they were false positives. With the above working config nothing is shown under PCI.

Thank you again @CaseySJ.

@ffk

Glad to hear it — and congratulations for figuring it out.

Reactions: ffk
Back