Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Hi Casey,

I just tried upgrading from OC 0.6.6 to 0.8.2 using your mini guide. When booting, none of my APFS volumes appeared in OC. After adding ApfsDriverLoader.efi I was able to see my boot volume again. As far as I understand aren't APFS drivers included in OpenCore already? Any idea why I would now need to add this driver after upgrading to OC 0.8.2?

Additionally, after updating OC to 0.8.2, HackinDROM seems to think my system is still using OC 0.6.6, while it shows OC 0.8.2 next to my install volume. Pictures attached for clarity.

Trying to make sure things are solid and not too janky before upgrading from Catalina to Monterey so I can use my 6600 XT.

Thank you!
if you set the following:
Code:
<key>MinDate</key>
            <integer>-1</integer>
            <key>MinVersion</key>
            <integer>-1</integer>
that will be fine for Catalina

remove ApfsDriverLoader.efi

Hi Casey,

I just tried upgrading from OC 0.6.6 to 0.8.2 using your mini guide. When booting, none of my APFS volumes appeared in OC. After adding ApfsDriverLoader.efi I was able to see my boot volume again. As far as I understand aren't APFS drivers included in OpenCore already? Any idea why I would now need to add this driver after upgrading to OC 0.8.2?

Additionally, after updating OC to 0.8.2, HackinDROM seems to think my system is still using OC 0.6.6, while it shows OC 0.8.2 next to my install volume. Pictures attached for clarity.

Trying to make sure things are solid and not too janky before upgrading from Catalina to Monterey so I can use my 6600 XT.

Thank you!
Hello @bricknewer,

Because you're upgrading from a particularly old version of OpenCore, it's quite possible that the NVRAM section in your original config.plist is missing some configuration parameters. HackinDROM does not modify those parameters; it simply carries those settings forward.

If you can make a copy of your 0.8.3 config.plist, remove serial numbers from PlatformInfo --> DataHub section, and post that file, I can take a look.

if you set the following:
Code:
<key>MinDate</key>
            <integer>-1</integer>
            <key>MinVersion</key>
            <integer>-1</integer>
that will be fine for Catalina

remove ApfsDriverLoader.efi
This worked! Thank you! You mentioned it'll be fine for Catalina, but are these settings okay for Monterey?

Hello @bricknewer,

Because you're upgrading from a particularly old version of OpenCore, it's quite possible that the NVRAM section in your original config.plist is missing some configuration parameters. HackinDROM does not modify those parameters; it simply carries those settings forward.

If you can make a copy of your 0.8.3 config.plist, remove serial numbers from PlatformInfo --> DataHub section, and post that file, I can take a look.
Attached, thank you! The config.plist file is from before making the changes suggested by Feartech above, btw.

Attachments

• config.plist
    32.5 KB · Views: 33
This worked! Thank you! You mentioned it'll be fine for Catalina, but are these settings okay for Monterey?

Attached, thank you! The config.plist file is from before making the changes suggested by Feartech above, btw.
glad it worked! :)

once you have upgraded to Monterey, you can change them back to 0

these are what they should be:
but for upgrading purposes, -1 is ok until you have upgraded

macOS Version Min Version Min Date
High Sierra (10.13.6) 748077008000000 20180621
Mojave (10.14.6) 945275007000000 20190820
Catalina (10.15.4) 1412101001000000 20200306
No restriction -1 -1

glad it worked! :)

once you have upgraded to Monterey, you can change them back to 0

these are what they should be:
but for upgrading purposes, -1 is ok until you have upgraded

macOS Version Min Version Min Date
High Sierra (10.13.6) 748077008000000 20180621
Mojave (10.14.6) 945275007000000 20190820
Catalina (10.15.4) 1412101001000000 20200306
No restriction -1 -1
Yay, thank you for the clarification! Now to upgrade :)

Noticed that the price of graphic cards have finally starting dropping. I have been making due with my iGPU and have decided to finally make a purchase. I know that a lot of you are using higher end cards but I'm looking at the lower end AMD 6000 series cards (ie 6600). Do I understand correctly that the 6400 is not macOS compatible? Right now I'm considering either the Sapphire vs MSI 6600 which are selling for about $259-$279. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Noticed that the price of graphic cards have finally starting dropping. I have been making due with my iGPU and have decided to finally make a purchase. I know that a lot of you are using higher end cards but I'm looking at the lower end AMD 6000 series cards (ie 6600). Do I understand correctly that the 6400 is not macOS compatible? Right now I'm considering either the Sapphire vs MSI 6600 which are selling for about $259-$279. Thoughts?
Among the 6xxx series of cards, only the following are supported:
  • 6600 / 6600XT
  • 6800 / 6800XT
  • 6900XT

just noticed that playing YouTube videos on Safari would stutter / freeze the video (audio is fine) while running a video export from Final Cut on the background. Currently have the PLIST set to iMac19,1

Would there be a better model/profile to use for primarily using Final Cut Pro? Or am I better at sticking with iMac19,1

Hi Casey and Feartech,

Upgrade to Monterey went fairly smoothly. Everything in macOS appears to be running properly. My 6600 XT is working great! Normal scores on Geekbench.

But, something about either OpenCore, or even just the presence of my macOS boot drive is completely screwing up my Windows install on another disk. I can't boot into Windows with my macOS drive connected. If I try to from BIOS, it goes to a "Preparing Automatic Repair" menu where the repair functions don't work. If I boot into Windows from OpenCore, it just hangs on a blank screen.

Removing the Mac drives allows me to boot into Windows no problem. I checked through my BIOS settings, and everything appears to be correct. I'm going to try to repair my Windows install now that I've gotten it to boot, and I'll report back with what happens, but aside from a fresh Windows install (which I would really rather not do), I'm at a bit of a loss.

Hi Casey and Feartech,

Upgrade to Monterey went fairly smoothly. Everything in macOS appears to be running properly. My 6600 XT is working great! Normal scores on Geekbench.

But, something about either OpenCore, or even just the presence of my macOS boot drive is completely screwing up my Windows install on another disk. I can't boot into Windows with my macOS drive connected. If I try to from BIOS, it goes to a "Preparing Automatic Repair" menu where the repair functions don't work. If I boot into Windows from OpenCore, it just hangs on a blank screen.

Removing the Mac drives allows me to boot into Windows no problem. I checked through my BIOS settings, and everything appears to be correct. I'm going to try to repair my Windows install now that I've gotten it to boot, and I'll report back with what happens, but aside from a fresh Windows install (which I would really rather not do), I'm at a bit of a loss.
It’s possible that both the Mac and Windows disks have a Microsoft folder in the EFI partition, and one of those folders (the one on Mac disk) is faulty.

Simply boot macOS with all drives connected, mount EFI partition of both the Mac and Windows drives, and post screenshots of the two EFI folders opened up.

Back