Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

@CaseySJ & @jaymonkey

I have a gen 2 Magic Mouse and gen 2 magic keyboard, and both seem to work great at startup, in BIOS, and in Monterey. I use a YOUBO (BCM94360CD) pci-e card. I started this build with a Fenvi, which uses the same Wi-Fi and Bluetooth chipset I think, but for some reason I was having issues with the Fenvi/z490 g combo so decided to give YOUBO a try. Much happier with the switch :)
@jaymonkey & @CaseySJ
I have the same YOUBO Dual Band WiFi Card BCM94360CD card and the same issues as jaymomkey has. In addition to the second Generation "Apple Magic mouse" getting disconnected after the system wakes from sleep, I just found the YOUBO card preventing my system from going to sleep. Once WiFi is off or on, but the system is on Intel i225/i219 Ethernet wire, sleep mode is working as supposed to. I have resolved the problem with the Magic Mouse getting disconnected from Bluetooth with the Magic Trackpad, which is on the USB wire.

This sadly does not meet my criteria for possibly running hypervisor with 2 GPU's in full performance.
Are you sure your workload requires more than PCIe 3.0 x8 to the GPU? More available bandwidth does not necessarily equates more used bandwidth…
Anyway, if you want 2*PCIe 4.0 x8 you need to go for Z690. You can have 2*PCIe 3.0 x16 on X299, C422 or C621 and 2*PCIe 4.0 x16 on C621A. And, per the local rules, you'd need to move to InsanelyMac to get help with the hypervisor setup.

Thanks for the report from Gigabyte.

Hi all.

((edited to add kernel panic photos. The common denominator seems to be IONVMeControlle. Some of the kernel panics caused reboot while others caused the machine to get stuck on a black screen - screen turned off))

I'm trying to do a clean install for the Vision G following this guide and I ran into an issue.
((I'm not updating the build on my profile bc this is not my machine, it's being built for someone else))

The build is as follows
z490 Vision G motherboard
Original Broadcom Bcm94360cs2 Apple wifi-bluetooth adapter
Asus AMD RX 6600 graphics card
Samsung 980 1TB NVMe ssd (later changed to an HP ex950 512 GB NVMe ssd)
HP ex900 256gb NVMe ssd (for Windows, installed on the slot closest to the CPU as suggested by the guide)
i7 10700K CPU
Windows 11
Mac OS Monterrey 12.2

Everything installs correctly, but to boot the computer into Mac OS restarts right after selecting the OS from Opencore. It seems to do it randomly and not at a particular point. Most of the time it boots fine after only 1 reboot, but sometimes it takes 3-5 attempts.

I was using a Samsung 980 NVMe ssd, switched to an HP 950 SSD that I knew worked from another hack I upgraded and the issue remains the same, even after a clean re-install (not cloning).

I updated to OC 0.7.8 and that didn't help. Tried searching and someone mentioned (to someone with a similar issue dealing with random reboots after OS loaded though) disabling the kexts for the built-in Ethernet adapter. Since I am using the Apple adapter I tried that. It did not solve my issue and lost my wifi and bluetooth, so I re-enabled it.

Somewhere along the way I lost audio too, I think it was the 0.7.8 update, but I don't know.

I truly tried searching for this but I can't seem to find anyone with the same problem.

I am attaching my EFI folder, which should be the same as the guides with the exception that I disabled AppleVTD to get windows 11 to booth.

Aside from now not having audio, everything seems to work when Mac Os does boot.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    8.5 MB · Views: 54
  • IMG_4577.jpg
    IMG_4577.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_4578.jpg
    IMG_4578.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_4579.jpg
    IMG_4579.jpg
    399.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_4581.jpg
    IMG_4581.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_4584.jpg
    IMG_4584.jpg
    359 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_4585.PNG
    IMG_4585.PNG
    10.4 MB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Although the reply from Gigabyte could be right, I have a little feeling that the diagram on the website may be accurate instead.
It is very contradictory. I left the conversation stating: "Thank You. Perhaps an update to the graphic I linked you to on your website is needed. It is misleading when it states "2 X PCIe 4.0 Slot" and has lines leading to both PCIe Slots. I am sure you can understand my confusion."

They then replied: "It should be correct, but we'll double check with our team."???

I have no idea what is going on. I wrote back again asking for them to double check with their team. Will let you know.

Last edited:
Are you sure your workload requires more than PCIe 3.0 x8 to the GPU? More available bandwidth does not necessarily equates more used bandwidth…
Anyway, if you want 2*PCIe 4.0 x8 you need to go for Z690. You can have 2*PCIe 3.0 x16 on X299, C422 or C621 and 2*PCIe 4.0 x16 on C621A. And, per the local rules, you'd need to move to InsanelyMac to get help with the hypervisor setup.

Thanks for the report from Gigabyte.
Hi etorix, The decision is strictly to bring the board to PCIe4 for both GPU slots for future proofing. Newer GPU's are being built to utilize the added bandwidth. The other perk is to realize the full speed of the SN850 drive I have. Absolutely, the other avenue is to just save the money for another year or two and upgrade to 13900K or 14900K... But again that involves new ram and motherboard. $$$. I am honestly still using my 3770K for literally 10 years now as a dedicated Hackintosh still. It's been the longest useful Mac I never bought! having owned MANY real Macs previously and currently. The community here is fantastic and very helpful and it is exciting knowing you can get the most you can out of hardware instead of throwing it into e-waste every 5 years.

It is very contradictory. I left the conversation stating: "Thank You. Perhaps an update to the graphic I linked you to on your website is needed. It is misleading when it states "2 X PCIe 4.0 Slot" and has lines leading to both PCIe Slots. I am sure you can understand my confusion."

They then replied: "It should be correct, but we'll double check with our team."???

I have no idea what is going on.
After providing technical assistance to numerous members on this forum over the past couple of years, I can tell you something that may not sound very politically correct, but it is "humanly" correct:

Sometimes we (tech support) have so many issues to respond to that we prioritize where we'll spend our time. We may need to provide quick, cursory answers to some in order to spend more time on more critical issues. It's a kind of triage.

The response you got from Gigabyte seems like the response from a poor over-worked technician who was dealing with so many issues that he/she had to provide quick off-the-cuff answers to some in order to spend more time with those facing more pressing issues.

Because I often find myself in those same shoes, I for one can sympathize with the plight of the technician. That's why I said "I have a little feeling that the diagram on the website may be correct".

@CaseySJ
I made a quick research on the topics you are dedicated and very active.
I found 5 configurations (Z390 Designare, Gigabyte Z490, 2 on the recent Z690 and the B550 Ryzen one).
Did I miss some?
This represents roughly 5 000 pages !
What an amazing job ! Thanks again for all your dedicated work for the community.

Hi all.

((edited to add kernel panic photos. The common denominator seems to be IONVMeControlle. Some of the kernel panics caused reboot while others caused the machine to get stuck on a black screen - screen turned off))

I'm trying to do a clean install for the Vision G following this guide and I ran into an issue.
((I'm not updating the build on my profile bc this is not my machine, it's being built for someone else))

The build is as follows
z490 Vision G motherboard
Original Broadcom Bcm94360cs2 Apple wifi-bluetooth adapter
Asus AMD RX 6600 graphics card
Samsung 980 1TB NVMe ssd (later changed to an HP ex950 512 GB NVMe ssd)
HP ex900 256gb NVMe ssd (for Windows, installed on the slot closest to the CPU as suggested by the guide)
i7 10700K CPU
Windows 11
Mac OS Monterrey 12.2

Everything installs correctly, but to boot the computer into Mac OS restarts right after selecting the OS from Opencore. It seems to do it randomly and not at a particular point. Most of the time it boots fine after only 1 reboot, but sometimes it takes 3-5 attempts.

I was using a Samsung 980 NVMe ssd, switched to an HP 950 SSD that I knew worked from another hack I upgraded and the issue remains the same, even after a clean re-install (not cloning).

I updated to OC 0.7.8 and that didn't help. Tried searching and someone mentioned (to someone with a similar issue dealing with random reboots after OS loaded though) disabling the kexts for the built-in Ethernet adapter. Since I am using the Apple adapter I tried that. It did not solve my issue and lost my wifi and bluetooth, so I re-enabled it.

Somewhere along the way I lost audio too, I think it was the 0.7.8 update, but I don't know.

I truly tried searching for this but I can't seem to find anyone with the same problem.

I am attaching my EFI folder, which should be the same as the guides with the exception that I disabled AppleVTD to get windows 11 to booth.

Aside from now not having audio, everything seems to work when Mac Os does boot.
Hello @jorsh,

Because you have the AMD RX 6600, what are the following parameters currently set to?
  • BIOS --> Resizable BAR Support?
    • Is it enabled or disabled?
  • OpenCore config.plist --> Booter --> ResizeAppleGpuBars?
    • Is it 0 or -1?

Hello @jorsh,

Because you have the AMD RX 6600, what are the following parameters currently set to?
  • BIOS --> Resizable BAR Support?
    • Is it enabled or disabled?
  • OpenCore config.plist--> Booter --> ResizeAppleGpuBars?
    • Is it 0 or -1?
Hello, Thanks for the reply

Disabled in BIOS
-1 in OpenCore

Hello, Thanks for the reply

Disabled in BIOS
-1 in OpenCore
Next, try disabling NVMeFix.kext by unchecking the Enabled column in Kernel section of config.plist.

Back