Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Hey @CaseySJ

So I've now realized months on from doing my build, that I was actually delivered an i7-10700KF rather than K only - meaning no iGPU for me.

I'm using iMac20,1 as my system - is there anything I should be aware of in terms of how my OC is configured?

Thanks for your time!

Hey @CaseySJ

So I've now realized months on from doing my build, that I was actually delivered an i7-10700KF rather than K only - meaning no iGPU for me.

I'm using iMac20,1 as my system - is there anything I should be aware of in terms of how my OC is configured?

Thanks for your time!
Hello @ErnieSalad

Because your CPU lacks an iGPU, we should delete the DeviceProperty entry related to iGPU. It's the one that sets AAPL,ig-platform-id.

Just as we have to abandon Samsung NVMe SSDs in Monterey, maybe it's time to abandon some other problem-plagued devices as well?? :)

@CaseySJ,

I'm kind of a fan of the Apple Magic Mouse design. I have been using them for many years on both my genuine Macs and hacks with no issues until now. I do have USB/Wireless mice that work with Monterey with no problem. So I do have a work around but I miss the touch scrolling that the magic mice have. For me scroll wheels feel so last decade. But I hear what you say, buddy, and I know there are a lot of users who don't get on with the ergonomics of the Magic Mouse. I have small hands so that may be a factor. :lol:

Thanks for the info re USB-C -> Ethernet adapters, will take a look and get one ordered.

Other than these minor niggles Monterey seems to run fine. So once I get the Ethernet sorted will probably switch to it as my daily driver.

Cheers
Jay

@CaseySJ & @jaymonkey

I have a gen 2 Magic Mouse and gen 2 magic keyboard, and both seem to work great at startup, in BIOS, and in Monterey. I use a YOUBO (BCM94360CD) pci-e card. I started this build with a Fenvi, which uses the same Wi-Fi and Bluetooth chipset I think, but for some reason I was having issues with the Fenvi/z490 g combo so decided to give YOUBO a try. Much happier with the switch :)

Hello CaseySJ, I updated my Monterey from 12.0.1 to 12.2.1. You were, as usual, correct; it was "SecureBootModel" set to Disable. Not sure how I can miss it after you pointed to that specific setting. Thank you.

Hi guys.
I'm struggling with getting Thunderbolt ports to work. I have found that in Catalina it works, even with hot plug, but with Big Sur or Monterey its not working. I have tried so many combinations that I don't even recall them all.
To date I have latest BIOS (21) which I have found is no longer downgradable due to some security risks on previous ones.
Hackingtool shows the same scenario under Catalina or Monterey.
IOReg seems to be the same, too. I'm using OC 0.7.8 with a combination of things that worked best...

Thanks in advance for any hint.

Attachments

• 1_catalina.jpeg
    1_catalina.jpeg
    105.4 KB · Views: 36
  • 1_monterey.jpeg
    1_monterey.jpeg
    93.2 KB · Views: 37
  • Catalina IoRegister.ioreg
    6.5 MB · Views: 47
  • MONTEREY IoRegister.ioreg
    7 MB · Views: 45
  • oc.zip
    3.2 MB · Views: 41
Just as we have to abandon Samsung NVMe SSDs in Monterey, maybe it's time to abandon some other problem-plagued devices as well?? :)

For anyone suffering from the issue of Apple BT devices not working after sleep i've found a decent work around, see my post in the problem specific thread here :-

Cheers
Jay

Just a follow up regarding the 11th gen Rocket Lake upgrade to the Z490 Vision-D motherboard. Gigabyte wrote back verifying that only the top 16X PCie slot and M2A_CPU slot become PCIe4 Enabled. the second GPU slot and all other PCIe components remain 3rd Gen, despite the misleading graphic on their website. This sadly does not meet my criteria for possibly running hypervisor with 2 GPU's in full performance. Best to save the money and wait for a future upgrade I guess.. Thanks for the feedback from those who chimed in.

--UPDATE--
So, after nearly two weeks, the support tech I got went back to the team and confirmed that both PCIe GPU slots are PCIe4 when adding a 11th Gen Rocket Lake CPU.

ANSWER--
After verifying with our team, the photo on our website is correct.PCie x16 & PCIe x8 slot will be Gen 4 with an 11th gen CPU since this particular model offer the PCIE switch.So you can use 2x Gen4 video card with the 11th gen CPU along with the M2A_CPU slot.

Attachments

• Unknown-1.png
    Unknown-1.png
    125.3 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Just a follow up regarding the 11th gen Rocket Lake upgrade to the Z490 Vision-D motherboard. Gigabyte wrote back verifying that only the top 16X PCie slot and M2A_CPU slot become PCIe4 Enabled. the second GPU slot and all other PCIe components remain 3rd Gen, despite the misleading graphic on their website. This sadly does not meet my criteria for possibly running hypervisor with 2 GPU's in full performance. Best to save the money and wait for a future upgrade I guess.. Thanks for the feedback from those who chimed in.
Although the reply from Gigabyte could be right, I have a little feeling that the diagram on the website may be accurate instead.

Hi guys.
I'm struggling with getting Thunderbolt ports to work. I have found that in Catalina it works, even with hot plug, but with Big Sur or Monterey its not working. I have tried so many combinations that I don't even recall them all.
To date I have latest BIOS (21) which I have found is no longer downgradable due to some security risks on previous ones.
Hackingtool shows the same scenario under Catalina or Monterey.
IOReg seems to be the same, too. I'm using OC 0.7.8 with a combination of things that worked best...

Thanks in advance for any hint.
What specific problem are you encountering in Monterey?
Screen Shot 2022-02-18 at 1.01.35 PM.png

Back