Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

What more is there to be sure about? F20 supports it. Just find the Rocket Lake support setting for the top M.2 slot, turn it on, and enjoy PCIe 4.0.
I am just cautious. Since it isn't formally written in the manual I want to make triple sure before investing in a 11gen CPU.

I am just cautious. Since it isn't formally written in the manual I want to make triple sure before investing in a 11gen CPU.
The manual was written before Rocket Lake was available so it was written from the point of view of already released hardware… with no comment on then unreleased hardware.

I have personally tested Rocket Lake with the Z490 Vision D. So I am speaking from experience.

But if it doesn’t work out, you can always return the 11th gen CPU to the vendor for a refund, can you not? You can always buy Z590 as well it was designed with PCIe 4.0 support in mind... Or come over to the dark side with Alder Lake.

Last edited:
Thank you @CaseySJ I followed your instructions, and now everything works as supposed. I have another little problem, I have to pair my Magic Mouse, Magic Keyboard and TrackPad when I switch from Mac to Windows and vice versa…any hints?
Thanks again.
Every time you switch OS, the magic devices are changing their bluetooth address. You can use regedit in Windows to lock the bluetooth addresses in, and then switching between OS won’t be a problem. I’ll try and find the link I followed to get it working!

IIRC, you pair them in windows so that they appear in the registry, then switch to mac and pair them, then write down the bluetooth addresses of all devices. Then go back to windows and edit the registry entries to correspond with the macos bluetooth addresses. You should be able to swap OS at will then, and never have to re-pair

Last edited:
Tha
Every time you switch OS, the magic devices are changing their bluetooth address. You can use regedit in Windows to lock the bluetooth addresses in, and then switching between OS won’t be a problem. I’ll try and find the link I followed to get it working!

IIRC, you pair them in windows so that they appear in the registry, then switch to mac and pair them, then write down the bluetooth addresses of all devices. Then go back to windows and edit the registry entries to correspond with the macos bluetooth addresses. You should be able to swap OS at will then, and never have to re-pair
Thank you very much I’ll try it tonight and let you know if it worked

Do i need some kind of adapter? or just plug it in and go? Thanks!

I wanna replace this!

Screen Shot 2022-02-15 at 20.16.39.png

with this
Screen Shot 2022-02-15 at 20.19.31.png

its okey?¿

The manual was written before Rocket Lake was available so it was written from the point of view of already released hardware… with no comment on then unreleased hardware.

I have personally tested Rocket Lake with the Z490 Vision D. So I am speaking from experience.

But if it doesn’t work out, you can always return the 11th gen CPU to the vendor for a refund, can you not? You can always buy Z590 as well it was designed with PCIe 4.0 support in mind... Or come over to the dark side with Alder Lake.
Have you tested with a macOS install? Was PCIe-4 working properly in macOS? Thanks for chiming in with your experiences. I live in a city with no wholesale computer stores, I need to order online. It's a hassle to return anything. I would love to go to Alder Lake; I am just worried about chipset support and compatibility. I need things to be fairly reliable for work purposes. I am hearing running in Hypervisor fixes a lot of compatibility issues.

@CaseySJ,

I'm bit late to the party but I've now started to run some tests with Monterey 12.2.1 on my Z490 Vision G.

I've replaced the Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe with a WD-BLACK SN750 to negate the Boot TRIM issue and have Monterey running stable.

I just have two issues to solve :-

1. With regards to the on-board Intel I225 Ethernet, after installing and booting Monterey the Ethernet worked great until I rebooted, after that no matter what I did I could not get it to work again, which makes me think that the problem is fixable with some investigation.

I already have a Amazon Basics USB-C -> 1Gb Ethernet adapter which uses the Realtek 8153 chipset which works with BigSur just fine but does not work with Monterey?

Whats your recommended USB-C -> Ethernet adapter ?

2. My 1st Gen Apple Magic mouse wont work after the system wakes from sleep, toggling BT off and back on again seems to fix the issue but requires me to plug in anther mouse to do that. Seems other users have reported exactly the same issue :-

FYI, I'm using a natively supported Broadcom WiFi/BT combo (BCM943602CS) in a PCIe PCIe adapter card.

As reported on that thread it's possible that its an issue with the USB wake fixes SSTD/Kext. I need to look into it a bit more before coming to the same conclusion. Just wondered if you had seen that issue yourself ?

Cheers
Jay

Update-1: Disabling SSDT-USBW.aml and USBWakeFixup.kext does not help

Update-2: If i leave the system alone for 5-8 mins after waking from sleep, the Apple magic mouse disconnects and then reconnects and starts working with no intervention, still not great but suggests that the issue can be fixed ether by Apple or 3rd party at some point in the future.

Update-3: I have implemented a work around for the issue using Better Touch Tool see my post in the problem specific thread for more details :-

Last edited:
@CaseySJ,

I'm bit late to the party but I've now started to run some tests with Monterey 12.2.1 on my Z490 Vision G.

I've replaced the Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe with a WD-BLACK SN750 to negate the Boot TRIM issue and have Monterey running stable.

1. With regards to the on-board Intel I225 Ethernet, after installing and booting Monterey the Ethernet worked great until I rebooted, after that no matter what I did I could not get it to work again, which makes me think that the problem is fixable with some investigation.

I already have a Amazon Basics USB-C -> 1Gb Ethernet adapter which uses the Realtek 8153 chipset which works with BigSur just fine but does not work with Monterey?

2. My 1st Gen Apple Magic mouse wont work after the system wakes from sleep, toggling BT off and back on again seems to fix the issue but requires me to plug in anther mouse to do that. Seems other users have reported exactly the same issue :-

FYI, I'm using a natively supported Broadcom WiFi/BT combo (BCM943602CS) in a PCIe PCIe adapter card.

As reported on that thread it's possible that its an issue with the USB wake fixes SSTD/Kext. I need to look into it a bit more before coming to the same conclusion. Just wondered if you had seen that issue yourself ?

Cheers
Jay

@jaymonkey On #1, curious why you don’t just use the non-2.5 Ethernet port. I have the Vision-D so perhaps the G is missing this? I added a Sonnet Solo 10G card and it runs great if you find yourself wanting 10G Ethernet at some point.

On #2, I had the same issues with Apple’s BT peripherals - keyboard and mouse - and finally gave up after trying to solve the issue. Instead, I bought a Logitech MX Keys and Master Mouse using their USB receiver and now things work perfectly. No issues. However, I still want to use my Apple TrackPad in this setup so I may still have an issue to fix. But I won’t have to plug in a wired keyboard and mouse to gain control over the system. And BT ultimately returns after a minute or so once I wake up the machine. So hoping this will allow use of the TrackPad.

Wondering if anyone else here has managed to integrate an Apple TrackPad with Monterey on this board. I’m using the Fenvi-T919, BTW.

Curious why you don’t just use the non-2.5 Ethernet port.

@misterwiggles,

Unfortunately the Gigabyte Z490 Vision G only has one on-board Ethernet port (Intel I225) so not an option.

Interesting that you and others have suffered from the BT issue with Apple devices after wake, I know Monterey had a bunch of BT issues with genuine Mac's when it was first released as it has a new BT stack and drivers but you would have thought Apple would have addresed that by now .. guess we will have to wait and see if it gets fixed in a future release.

I tried disabling SSDT-USBW.aml and USBWakeFixup.kext but it did not help :thumbdown

Cheers
Jay

There are quite a few good affordable choices:

I'm using one from Choetech (purchased through Amazon) that may or may not be available. But there are still plenty of great alternatives.

I have the 1st Gen Apple Mouse as well, but I find it ergonomically deficient! :)

Logitech wireless devices based on their USB dongle are far and away the best option on Hackintosh (in my humble opinion of course). They work in BIOS, they work in OpenCore, they work in macOS/Windows/Linux, they work after wake-from-sleep.

They. Just. Work.

Just as we have to abandon Samsung NVMe SSDs in Monterey, maybe it's time to abandon some other problem-plagued devices as well?? :)

Back