Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Always willing to help if I can. I do not have a dual boot system setup however I do have a VM Windows 10 Installed using VirtualBox. Not sure if it will work through that but am willing to give it a try.
I already tested this on Parallels Desktop, even with a directly connected to VM Windows 10 USB ITE device (IT5702), this does not work.
@Lukey1979,

If you prefer not to install Windows 10 natively (i.e. not thru VM), we may still be able to refine the RGB Fusion driver through a couple of iterative changes to the driver.

I would like to get the channel names right.

For example, on Vision D, PCHLED is the "Designare" LED on the PCH housing. If PCHLED on AORUS Xtreme is also on PCH housing, then that one is good.

So for each channel name, we would need to see if they map to the same items. If not, we'll need to do some detective work.

Here's the current understanding:

Channel Name Vision D AORUS Xtreme
ioled LED next to IO panel IO Panel on MB
led1 12V RGB header #1 Motherboard edge lighting (which side?)
pchled Designare Logo AORUS Logo
pciled LEDs behind PCI slots ESS Sabre HiFi Cover / Logo
led2 12V RGB header #2 12V RGB Header (LED_C1)
dled1 5V ARGB header #1 Unknown?
dled2 5V ARGB header #2 NVMe M.2 SSD Cover

AORUS Xtreme has:
  • 12V RGB Header #1 -- this one is mapped to channel name "led2" (LED_C1), which isn't quite right
  • 12V RGB Header #2
  • 5V ARGB Header #1
  • 5V ARGB Header #2
Ideally, the above 4 ports should be mapped as follows:
  • 12V RGB Header #1 -- LED_C1 --> led1
  • 12V RGB Header #2 -- LED_C2 --> led2
  • 5V ARGB Header #1 -- D_LED1 --> dled1
  • 5V ARGB Header #2 -- D_LED2 --> dled2

Last edited:
This is my first Hackintosh after like 10 years. I have the problem where my installation from this guide just shows apple logo and hangs there. My configuration is as follows :
Z490 Vision D
i7-10700k
64GB (4x16GB)
Sapphire Nitro 5700 XT
1TB Adata 8200 Pro NVMe
512GB Adata 8200 Pro NVMe

I've tried reseting nvram and starting with the -v parameter and this is what it prints (sorry for the bad photo, my phone camera is shattered :) ):
View attachment 478483
Hello @ssijak,

Have you unlocked MSR 0xE2 (CFG-Lock)?

@CaseySJ after my initial troubles with liquidctl I decided to give it a shot again after reading this post. I am pleased to report the Z490 Vision D is now recognized in liquidctl! I was able to successfully execute one of the test commands that you had mentioned earlier in a shell script using-

"cd /Users/Shared
./liquidctl-startup.sh"

However, upon writing the Automator "application" to run the script on startup, I received this message upon first attempt(attached below). Seeming to tell me that lines 4 and 7 of liquidctl-startup.sh have errors. Quite odd as the script worked when I tested in Terminal as said above. I'll attach my startup file so you can take a look if you'd like. But, very glad to at least have gotten past the frustration of the first step! :headbang:
Almost there! Please use the full pathname to liquidctl, like this:
Code:
/usr/local/bin/liquidctl -m Gigabyte initialize
The full path should be used for each call to liquidctl. That was an oversight in the liquidctl instructions, which has now been corrected.

Last edited:
Hello @ssijak,

Have you unlocked MSR 0xE2 (CFG-Lock)?

Yes, it was second to last option in the tools option on boot after I expanded it with space as per your guide. I'll double check the BIOS options per hughythomas instructions.

It is kind of strange because googling for that last error "LocHB 71B4903C-14EC-42C4-BDC6-CE1449930E49" returns mostly some laptop related troubleshooting posts

Almost there! Please use the full pathname to liquidctl, like this:
Code:
/usr/local/bin/liquidctl -m Gigabyte initialize
The full path should be used for each call to liquidctl. That was an oversight in the liquidctl instructions, which has now been corrected.
I should've known that. It works beautifully now! Thank you once again for your assistance @CaseySJ . Next step, working on the sleepwatcher recall process.

One more question for now: for the be quiet! Pure Base 500dx, where on the Z490 Vision D (if at all?) did you choose to connect the case RGB cable? I have mine in DLED_2 despite knowing it is not yet supported in liquidctl. As best I can tell, it would be physically impossible to connect the socket to LED_C1 or LED_C2...

Hi All, I'm new to the forum and while I'm not specifically interested in the CustoMac aspect, I am very interested in the the failed MCU Firmware update with BIOS version F5a on the Z490 VISION D (rev. 1.x) motherboard and it seems @CaseySJ @sambear @one07 are the only one's talking about it. I too had the same issue and also raised a ticket with gigabyte. I was hoping you may have had a different response. I got a response from gigabyte today saying I need to RMA the motherboard which is the last thing I want to do. Any help would be appreciated. It seems the update seriously wrecked RGB... while I also can't run Fusion 2.0 I also have a bunch of stuff missing in Corsair iCUE, one of my DIMM's has disappeared and I no longer have any control over it nor any readings from it in iCUE. Your welcome to stop reading here, but if you want the full run down on what i did and or the issues I have, please read on which is a copy of what I send to gigabyte which got the response RMA (and many thanks to anyone who can provide any info) :
Updated to BIOS to F5a and as per instructions then updated MCU firmware with the mb_utility_mcu-firmware_1.0.15.zip provided on the support page for the Z490 VISION D (rev. 1.x). The first attempt failed with a unable to delete error message (it only appeared for a second and I don't know the full details of the error message). Subsequent attempts to install the MCU Firmware result in a Locked! Chipid mismatch! Error message and does not allow update. Following the failed update, RGB Fusion 2.0 no longer works (any change in the software has no effect) and Corsair iCUE can no longer see all four DIMMs. 3 DIMMs appear okay but the fourth has no RGB control and does not register in the iCUE software and cannot be controlled. DDR4_B2 is the affected slot. Fixes attempted :
Re-Installing RGB Fusion 2.0 - Did not Fix the Issues
Re-Installing Coarsair iCUE - Did not Fix the Issues
Re-Installing Windows - Did not Fix the Issues
Re-installing all drivers on a fresh Windows install - Did not Fix the Issues
Reverting to BIOS version F2 - Did not Fix the Issues
Reverting to BIOS version F3 - Did not Fix the Issues
Reinstalling BIOS version F5a - Did not Fix the Issues
Repeated re-install attempts after each of the above with MCU Firmware results in a Locked! Chipid mismatch!
Re-Installing the Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB (4x8GB) 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 DIMMs in a different order proved that it is not an issue with the DIMMs themselves, any memory chip installed in DDR4_B2 loses RGB control, putting that same chip an any of the other 3 slots and RGB control is restored. BIOS and Windows still registers all 32 GB (all four slots) so it appears only RGB control and temperature readings are affected. Following all testing I can only conclude that mb_utility_mcu-firmware_1.0.15 is broken. Is there any way to roll this back to the previous version? The previous version was working flawlessly. Given the issues with Locked! Chipid mismatch we would need a way to forcibly install the previous version to correct the issues.

Hi All, I'm new to the forum and while I'm not specifically interested in the CustoMac aspect, I am very interested in the the failed MCU Firmware update with BIOS version F5a on the Z490 VISION D (rev. 1.x) motherboard and it seems @CaseySJ @sambear @one07 are the only one's talking about it. I too had the same issue and also raised a ticket with gigabyte. I was hoping you may have had a different response. I got a response from gigabyte today saying I need to RMA the motherboard which is the last thing I want to do. Any help would be appreciated. It seems the update seriously wrecked RGB... while I also can't run Fusion 2.0 I also have a bunch of stuff missing in Corsair iCUE, one of my DIMM's has disappeared and I no longer have any control over it nor any readings from it in iCUE. Your welcome to stop reading here, but if you want the full run down on what i did and or the issues I have, please read on which is a copy of what I send to gigabyte which got the response RMA (and many thanks to anyone who can provide any info) :
Updated to BIOS to F5a and as per instructions then updated MCU firmware with the mb_utility_mcu-firmware_1.0.15.zip provided on the support page for the Z490 VISION D (rev. 1.x). The first attempt failed with a unable to delete error message (it only appeared for a second and I don't know the full details of the error message). Subsequent attempts to install the MCU Firmware result in a Locked! Chipid mismatch! Error message and does not allow update. Following the failed update, RGB Fusion 2.0 no longer works (any change in the software has no effect) and Corsair iCUE can no longer see all four DIMMs. 3 DIMMs appear okay but the fourth has no RGB control and does not register in the iCUE software and cannot be controlled. DDR4_B2 is the affected slot. Fixes attempted :
Re-Installing RGB Fusion 2.0 - Did not Fix the Issues
Re-Installing Coarsair iCUE - Did not Fix the Issues
Re-Installing Windows - Did not Fix the Issues
Re-installing all drivers on a fresh Windows install - Did not Fix the Issues
Reverting to BIOS version F2 - Did not Fix the Issues
Reverting to BIOS version F3 - Did not Fix the Issues
Reinstalling BIOS version F5a - Did not Fix the Issues
Repeated re-install attempts after each of the above with MCU Firmware results in a Locked! Chipid mismatch!
Re-Installing the Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB (4x8GB) 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 DIMMs in a different order proved that it is not an issue with the DIMMs themselves, any memory chip installed in DDR4_B2 loses RGB control, putting that same chip an any of the other 3 slots and RGB control is restored. BIOS and Windows still registers all 32 GB (all four slots) so it appears only RGB control and temperature readings are affected. Following all testing I can only conclude that mb_utility_mcu-firmware_1.0.15 is broken. Is there any way to roll this back to the previous version? The previous version was working flawlessly. Given the issues with Locked! Chipid mismatch we would need a way to forcibly install the previous version to correct the issues.

@Jno @sambear @CaseySJ

The MCU firmware update was pulled from the website today. Yesterday it was still there.

I have not yet received feedback on my ticket. Therefore I created another ticket yesterday with additional information.

@Jno Did they offer you to get a new motherboard in direct exchange or should you send it in for repair?

Hello everyone, I require assistance with a somewhat painful troubleshooting process.

We are experiencing what can be described as word-clock type noise issues.

Switching to 192kHz sample rate with-in a DAW (playback stopped) produces word-clock instability, represented by clock noises.

44.1kHz and 48kHz sample-rates seem perfectly fine.
96kHz sample-rate appears intermittent.

Equipment in use: UA Apollo X8P on Z490 platform. TB3 stock. (un-flashed)
In our case, This phenomenon exists with ProTools, Logic Pro X and Luna.

Are you having similar problems?
Information from community members with thunderbolt audio interfaces, posting their particular results when selecting various sample-rates, would be greatly appreciated.

@CaseySJ, this may be one to mandate Thunderbolt flashing.

Thank you,
Tony.

Following all testing I can only conclude that mb_utility_mcu-firmware_1.0.15 is broken. Is there any way to roll this back to the previous version? The previous version was working flawlessly. Given the issues with Locked! Chipid mismatch we would need a way to forcibly install the previous version to correct the issues.
Firmware is correct, It's utiliity issue, or, may be, Windows (issue with driver)...
When you update MCU firmware, are you stopped all RGB software (iCUE, RGB Fusion etc.)?

I successfully updated MCU on Vision G without issues, it works fine (but not better than old version 1.0.10, I don't know is it really fixed anithing). Before install new firmware, all RGB soft was stopped (NZXT CAM, RGB Fusion, Crucial MOD) to prevent any issues.

Firmware is correct, It's utiliity issue, or, may be, Windows (issue with driver)...
When you update MCU firmware, are you stopped all RGB software (iCUE, RGB Fusion etc.)?

I successfully updated MCU on Vision G without issues, it works fine (but not better than old version 1.0.10, I don't know is it really fixed anithing). Before install new firmware, all RGB soft was stopped (NZXT CAM, RGB Fusion, Crucial MOD) to prevent any issues.

I guess it doesn't make any difference now that the damage has been done. I personally stopped the RGB software before the update and still got the problem. Gigabyte surely didn't delete the update from the website without a reason.

The fact that the update was successful for some users does not mean that there is no technical problem with it. There are many influencing factors (as you said running applications, drivers etc.). I think I've read about 4 users in this thread with the problem and only about 2 users who have successfully installed the update.

Last edited:
Back