Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision G
CPU
Intel i5 10400
Graphics
Gigabyte Radeon RX580 8Gb
Hey Casey, my Vision-G rig I built Aug 2020, with your help has run flawlessly pretty much 24x7x365 (bar a few power outages). Running Catalina 10.15.7 on OC 0.6.1. It wakes, it sleeps, it edits my Lightroom/PS content daily with ease.

That said - "it's time" lol. I'm working on getting OC to 0.7.5 before attempting a Monterey install. I've upgraded the MB BIOS, updated Kexts & drivers and cleaned up a bunch of stuff in the config - still more to do. I've not managed a stable boot yet but come back to find you got a 800+ page thread bro!!! So I suspect my answers are buried in here. I'm gonna have to search back to where you upgraded OC although suspect you didn't have to do that one big jump :). I'm a good reader but 800pgs gonna kill me..... throw me a bone where to start reading? (lol).

Cheers!

Last edited:

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus Z690 ProArt Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey Casey, my Vision-G rig I built Aug 2020, with your help has run flawlessly pretty much 24x7x365 (bar a few power outages). Running Catalina 10.15.7 on OC 0.6.1. It wakes, it sleeps, it edits my Lightroom/PS content with ease. That said - "it's time" lol. I'm working on getting OC to 0.7.5 before attempting a Monterey install. I've upgraded the MB BIOS, updated Kexts & drivers and cleaned up a bunch of stuff in the config - still more to do. Not managed a stable boot yet but come back to find you got a 800+ page thread bro!!! I'm glad of all the content in here - gonna have to search back to where you upgraded OC :)
Glad to hear, "it's time!" ;)

Two caveats regarding Monterey:
  • In many cases, the Intel I-225V 2.5GbE Ethernet port may not establish a connection. The other Ethernet port (1GbE) works properly. If both ports are needed, we recommend a USB-to-Ethernet adapter. These are available in both 1GbE and 2.5GbE varieties. In fact, Qnap makes a 5GbE version that's compatible with macOS.
  • Samsung NVMe SSDs may caused long boot times (60-90 seconds) due to incompatible TRIM. If this happens, we recommend switching to a different brand such as WD 750 (PCIe 3.0) or WD 850 (PCIe 4.0).
Finally, if you are having difficulty with the update to OpenCore 0.7.5, feel free to describe the problem. For Catalina we recommend setting SecureBootModel to Disabled.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision G
CPU
Intel i5 10400
Graphics
Glad to hear, "it's time!" ;)

Two caveats regarding Monterey:
  • In many cases, the Intel I-225V 2.5GbE Ethernet port may not establish a connection. The other Ethernet port (1GbE) works properly. If both ports are needed, we recommend a USB-to-Ethernet adapter. These are available in both 1GbE and 2.5GbE varieties. In fact, Qnap makes a 5GbE version that's compatible with macOS.
  • Samsung NVMe SSDs may caused long boot times (60-90 seconds) due to incompatible TRIM. If this happens, we recommend switching to a different brand such as WD 750 (PCIe 3.0) or WD 850 (PCIe 4.0).
Finally, if you are having difficulty with the update to OpenCore 0.7.5, feel free to describe the problem. For Catalina we recommend setting SecureBootModel to Disabled.
Thanks for the 2x caveats. One difference between the D & G is I only have the one 2.5Gb port (ie: no 1Gb port) so I'll have to watch for that. I can fall back to using wireless if I have to.
As for the Samsung NVMe SSD - I can live with long-bootup times as I rarely reboot (assuming it does not also affect wake as well).

Ok - I now see how dynamic your initial post #1 is and has become somewhat of a reference for this particular platform. Awesome!!! So I'm starting with your 0.7.5 mini-guide........

I almost want to log a complaint here (lol). I just wasted 3days mucking around with trying to upgrade OC 0.6.1-0.7.5 by myself with ultimately still no success. Today I found your freshly written 0.7.5 mini-guide, downloaded the "G-Not-D" package, followed the couple of instructions and bam! (well kind of, I initially forgot the "Set SecureBootModel to Disabled" for Catalina users. I did that and all was well - My Catalina 10.15.7 on OC 0.7.5 booted straight up!!!).
So I'm typing this without yet having rebooted from that success ("thank you").

Cheers!

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision G
CPU
Intel i5 10400
Graphics
After upgrading OC to 0.7.5 (still on Catalina), I have no Ethernet connection (existing single 2.5GbE port connection on Vision-G). I'm able to switch on my Wireless - so no stress. I know it is expected in Monterey as you warned. It is worth noting that if I boot using my 0.6.1 USB - my Ethernet works great. Any thoughts about this scenario where it feels like an OC issue?

If there's something to try, I'd rather do it before I upgrade the OS (which I'm itching to pull the trigger :)). I can live with the wireless connectivity under Monterey if I have to, until we find a solution.

Thanks for the help as always.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus Z690 ProArt Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
After upgrading OC to 0.7.5 (still on Catalina), I have no Ethernet connection (existing single 2.5GbE port connection on Vision-G). I'm able to switch on my Wireless - so no stress. I know it is expected in Monterey as you warned. It is worth noting that if I boot using my 0.6.1 USB - my Ethernet works great. Any thoughts about this scenario where it feels like an OC issue?

If there's something to try, I'd rather do it before I upgrade the OS (which I'm itching to pull the trigger :)). I can live with the wireless connectivity under Monterey if I have to, until we find a solution.

Thanks for the help as always.
Oh yes, easy fix:
Screen Shot 2021-07-17 at 6.01.48 PM.png

If you install Big Sur or Monterey, it's best to put the hash mark back, which will comment-out that line.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision G
CPU
Intel i5 10400
Graphics
Oh yes, easy fix. If you install Big Sur or Monterey, it's best to put the hash mark back, which will comment-out that line.
That's great thanks Casey! I should still expect that functionality to go away again as soon as I upgrade to Monterey tho, right?

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus Z690 ProArt Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
That's great thanks Casey! I should still expect that functionality to go away again as soon as I upgrade to Monterey tho, right?
We still haven't figured out why some Monterey users don't have any problem with i-225V at full 2.5GbE, while others (such as myself) have no such luck. So the port might work for you in Monterey.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision G
CPU
i7-10700K
Graphics
RX 580
I am having all sorts of "new issues" since clean install, so I am trying to troubleshoot them one at a time, one led to a interesting outcome. In trying to fix my appletv/music not working, in bios I set under i/o>internal graphics>enabled (it was in auto) rebooted and voila Facetime is working. To confirm this was the issue, I put it back to auto and facetime no longer worked, this is under OS 11.6.1 and OC 0.7.5 (iMac20,2) (per the miniguide this thread). I can't watch AppleTV nor music videos but I can do video calls on the computer again... Progress. :)
Thanks for this info!

Strange issue for me - I have no 'Integrated Graphics' option anywhere in my BIOS. I'm Vision G and tried with both F8 and F20 firmware but it doesn't appear. If I plug in to integrated HDMI there's no output.

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision G
CPU
Intel i5 10400
Graphics
We still haven't figured out why some Monterey users don't have any problem with i-225V at full 2.5GbE, while others (such as myself) have no such luck. So the port might work for you in Monterey.
Well the upgrade to Monterey went smooth. I did loose the 2.5GbE port but at least it was partially expected. Wireless is working good though.

My main two issues are:
Audio: Looks like I've lost onboard audio-out.
Safari: Completely jacked-up and won't even open! It does appear in tasks, consuming 80+% CPU and I have to Force Quit. I've discovered I can open it in SafeMode and it acts normal. However, no success trying to get back all my recent window/sessions.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Well the upgrade to Monterey went smooth. I did loose the 2.5GbE port but at least it was partially expected. Wireless is working good though.

My main two issues are:
Audio: Looks like I've lost onboard audio-out.
Safari: Completely jacked-up and won't even open! It does appear in tasks, consuming 80+% CPU and I have to Force Quit. I've discovered I can open it in SafeMode and it acts normal. However, no success trying to get back all my recent window/sessions.
After upgrading to 12.0.1, I ALSO lost audio.