i7-10700
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi All,

Since theatre has opened by me I am back to making promos using Lightroom Classic, Photoshop, Premiere pro, Toast 19 and Protools. They all are a nightmare under Monterey. Adobe is particularly bad. Long load times, menu issues. I switched back to Big Sur latest version using the same EFT (0.75) i had for Monterey and everything works. As an added bonus, my machine is much faster. Are any of you having problems with Monterey and the applications I mentioned?

I've done limited testing, but thus far LRC and Photoshop are OK for me. 11.0.1 and 23.0.2 versions.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
RX 580
Please try setting SecureBootModel to Disabled in the Misc --> Security section of OpenCore Configurator. But ensure that OpenCore Configurator's title bar says "0.7.5 Release Configuration".
Thanks @CaseySJ . Thats what I tried already. SecureBootModel is disabled and it's a "0.7.5 Release Configuration". Any other idea what I could try? But just to make sure: it's suppose to work, right? In-Place Big Sur to Monterey should work?
What I have to mention: SIP is disabled. So I downloaded Monterey from the App Store and did the update via "Install Monterey" from Applications-Folder ...

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus Z690 ProArt Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@CaseySJ Further to my issue, I did some tests and here is what I have found:
- for an unknown reason my VR helmet which is connected to a USB-c at the back was on and was preventing the system to go to sleep;
- did an NVRAM reset but still the same issue; no connection upon wake up;
- however, upon wake up if I open the BT menu in the control center (top right corner), all the BT devices are showing up as connected (but they are not). Then about 1 minute later, suddenly all those BT devices status goes from connected to disconnected then the reconnect automatically except for the soundbar; and
- I use sleepwatcher which executes amongst other a script when the system is going to sleep or waking up. In my wake up script, I run bluetutil --connect to reconnect to my soundbar. I have been running that script under big sur and it was working fine. I can see that this script is executed upon wake up (got an entry in a log file) but somehow it does not reconnect the soundbar.

But the consistent thing is that after roughly 1 minute the keyboard and the mouse are reconnected. Obviously not ideal :(

Any idea where to look for to see what is causing this 1 minute delay?

Edit: noticed that upon wake up, if I don't do anything, the BT devices won't reconnect even after a minute. They will only reconnect if I display the BT devices list from the control centre.
Ouch, I can definitively understand the frustration with these Bluetooth reconnect issues. Some things to try:
  • CMOS Reset followed by configuring BIOS again (starting with Load Optimized Defaults).
  • If that doesn’t help, we can move WiFi/BT card to another slot.
  • If you have a real Mac, it would be interesting to pair all of these Bluetooth devices to the Mac and check wake-from-sleep behavior.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus Z690 ProArt Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Thanks @CaseySJ . Thats what I tried already. SecureBootModel is disabled and it's a "0.7.5 Release Configuration". Any other idea what I could try? But just to make sure: it's suppose to work, right? In-Place Big Sur to Monterey should work?
What I have to mention: SIP is disabled. So I downloaded Monterey from the App Store and did the update via "Install Monterey" from Applications-Folder ...
Yes the in-place upgrade should work. The procedure you listed is correct. We should be able to launch “Install macOS Monterey” from Applications folder.

During installation we can press CMD-L to show a log window. On the top right of the log window itself is a pop-up menu where we should select “Show all logs”.

When the install fails please post the last few lines of the log. The entire log can also be saved from the File menu.

There is a (horrible) workaround procedure but let’s see if we can avoid that by examining the log first.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
I7-10700K
Graphics
5600XT & 6800 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Ouch, I can definitively understand the frustration with these Bluetooth reconnect issues. Some things to try:
  • CMOS Reset followed by configuring BIOS again (starting with Load Optimized Defaults).
  • If that doesn’t help, we can move WiFi/BT card to another slot.
  • If you have a real Mac, it would be interesting to pair all of these Bluetooth devices to the Mac and check wake-from-sleep behavior.
I'll try the above but I am also contemplating at buying just a Fenvi T919.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision G
CPU
i9-10850K OC 5.2GHz
Graphics
RX 6600 XT
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Hi All,

Since theatre has opened by me I am back to making promos using Lightroom Classic, Photoshop, Premiere pro, Toast 19 and Protools. They all are a nightmare under Monterey. Adobe is particularly bad. Long load times, menu issues. I switched back to Big Sur latest version using the same EFT (0.75) i had for Monterey and everything works. As an added bonus, my machine is much faster. Are any of you having problems with Monterey and the applications I mentioned?
I've been working in Bridge/Photoshop/Capture One pretty heavily the last few weeks with good results with 12.1 Beta 3 (21C5039b). Only thing I've noticed that is a bit of a bother is my mouse is "slightly" (and I mean slightly) jumpy when I click too quickly while using the heal or clone tool, but I think that has more to do with my graphics card. I adjusted the cache level and tile size in PS, and changed smbios from iMacPro1,1 to MacPro7,1, and it has subsided for the most part.

Adobe has been getting very power hungry... my 16 inch mac pro on Monterey with 16GB Ram and eGPU w/ Radeon FE is definitely being pushed to its limit, but even that is working fine with my workflow. Working with image files from 800mb to 3-4GB

Last edited:
Motherboard
GIGABYTE Z490 Vision D
CPU
i9-10850K
Graphics
RX Vega 64
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Casey,

All is well here with the new build, but does this i9-10850k run hot or what!!
I tried the solutions in your troubleshooting section, but cooling this thing is a work in progress.
I installed the additional 4pin 12V power near the CPU and that seems to have solved any stability
issues I was having. I've been tweaking voltages, etc to cool it down, but today I ordered a larger BeQuite
Cooler as this i9 seems to be begging for it.

Last issue I'm struggling with is my Windows 11 install. Open Core 0.75 sees the EFI on my separate Windows SSD and adds an entry for it in the picker. Sadly when I try to boot Windows from OC it fails and I just get a black screen.
If I hop into the BIOS at startup and select the Windows drive as the boot drive it starts right up, no problem. I tried manually adding an entry for \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi in the MISC section of Config.plist and got the same failure at boot. I definitely have TPM 2.0 enabled as required by Win11 and there are no "Intel Optane" drivers installed. ANy thoughts?

Thanks in Advance.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D rev 1.1
CPU
i7-10700
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Casey,

All is well here with the new build, but does this i9-10850k run hot or what!!
I tried the solutions in your troubleshooting section, but cooling this thing is a work in progress.
I installed the additional 4pin 12V power near the CPU and that seems to have solved any stability
issues I was having. I've been tweaking voltages, etc to cool it down, but today I ordered a larger BeQuite
Cooler as this i9 seems to be begging for it.

Last issue I'm struggling with is my Windows 11 install. Open Core 0.75 sees the EFI on my separate Windows SSD and adds an entry for it in the picker. Sadly when I try to boot Windows from OC it fails and I just get a black screen.
If I hop into the BIOS at startup and select the Windows drive as the boot drive it starts right up, no problem. I tried manually adding an entry for \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi in the MISC section of Config.plist and got the same failure at boot. I definitely have TPM 2.0 enabled as required by Win11 and there are no "Intel Optane" drivers installed. ANy thoughts?

Thanks in Advance.
I dropped my base clock from 100 to 95 and drastically lowered my temps. I barely notice a performance hit. I also installed a Noctua cooler, but the freq change really dropped the temps.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus Z690 ProArt Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Regarding the Windows boot issue through OpenCore, please try disabling AppleVTD as described in the bottom half of this post:

Motherboard
GIGABYTE Z490 Vision D
CPU
i9-10850K
Graphics
RX Vega 64
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Regarding the Windows boot issue through OpenCore, please try disabling AppleVTD as described in the bottom half of this post:
Casey,

Well that worked for the most part. I made the the changes to the config.plist and I now have a functional Dual Boot rig. When I enabled VT-d in the BIOS the z490 vision D refused to boot. After clearing the CMOS and "Loading Optimized Defaults" and re-configuring the BIOS (for the 5th time in 3 days) all is well. This board seems very finicky with BIOS changes, at least for me.
During all this drama I realized that I installed my exhaust fan backward (ughhh) and now that it is turned around I'm idling @ 36c (which is an improvement). I'll leave it as is until the new cooler arrives in a couple of days.

Thanks Again..